Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007

Go down 
+6
ranctor
kenneth18
audi
Batman
Derek
richardyeo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
richardyeo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 Empty
PostSubject: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi guys,

Anybody try out Miura cb 501 vs Miura cb 1007?
Any review? I can't decide...
Pls comments! Thanks n regard
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 6:38 pm

The loft, lie and weight are identical. However I could not find info on offset. I would guess that they are going to feel very similar on good hits.

Both are going to require above average ball striking to use effectively.

P.s. my Singapore set is a cb 501. My malaysia set is BFG Ikan Batang.
Back to top Go down
richardyeo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Derek wrote:
The loft, lie and weight are identical. However I could not find info on offset. I would guess that they are going to feel very similar on good hits.

Both are going to require above average ball striking to use effectively.

P.s. my Singapore set is a cb 501. My malaysia set is BFG Ikan Batang.

Hi Derek

You're using cb-501, how's the feels? U like it?
I tried cb-501, to be honest is feels is really fantastic!
Just now, I walk pass Far East shopping, one of the shop owner told me Miura Giken cb-1007 have the similar feels as cb 501. And is a lot cheaper than cb 501.
Any pros & cons?

So I still can't decide which one to purchase.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Just go for either set, since u'd already decided..
Always remember, how many times can u get a good feel shot Smile
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 6:59 pm

cb1007 is cheaper than cb501? are you sure?
Back to top Go down
richardyeo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 7:06 pm

audi wrote:
cb1007 is cheaper than cb501? are you sure?

Very sure!! Pm me tell u where to buy. Smile
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 7:09 pm

i was using cb501 before. it is indeed soft. but i tried my friend's cb1007, true, almost the same feeling. if cb1007 is cheaper, go get it cos usually giken is more exp than the usual miura.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 1:17 am

as long as you can trust the authenticity of the club ... you know what they say about things being too good to be true

As for my review of CB-501, I was using it for slightly more than 2 years, think I bought them in June 2010 and used them until I replaced them with the BFG Irons (I am based in M'sia now). On the good side, all my best scores were played with them. However, they are pretty demanding clubs to use on the green. Prior to the CB-501, I was using a set of Tourstage V7000, CBs with quite a bit of offset, but forged and soft feeling as well. Nice perimeter weighting and lower CG also meant more forgiveness, especially in launching the ball (I tend to pick the ball quite cleanly off the grass so my bad shots are usually thin shots).

After switching, I had trouble launching my 7 iron properly, let alone the 5 and 6. Went from an 80s player to a 90s player overnight. Practiced hard and consulted my coach, after 4 weeks of hard practice, some improvement but still lacked confidence on the green with the 5 and 6, so replaced them with 5 and 6 tourstage hybrids with light steel shafts. The improvement in my scores began immediately after. Continued to practice until I was comfortable using the 6 iron off the tee, and finally off the deck, but that took almost 15 months. Under moments of pressure though, would still pull out the 6 hybrid (28 Deg), as I had a lot more memories of good shots with that club.

The Miuras feel fantastic if you strike them properly, but they are not forgiving. However, if you want a set that will force you to develop sound iron striking fundamentals, the CB-501s will do that for you (incidentally, any of the blades being sold 2nd hand for less than $200 in another thread will also do the same job). But be prepared to put in a lot of practice. If you can get through that (proper instruction concurrently helps as well), the feeling of hitting the sweet spot consistently with Miuras is priceless.

As to why I switched to BFG? Like I mentioned earlier, my natural tendency is to pick the ball off the grass, and my good shots either leave very shallow divots or just ruffle the surface of the grass. I needed more help, especially on thin shots, and the BFG irons provided than. The difference between good shots and ok shots was less with the BFG irons than with the miuras.

If I still had the time to practice regularly (i.e. 5 times a week), I would probably not have changed clubs. But being newly married, a new job and moving to a new country is not conducive for regular practice. So I decided to get a set that is less workable and still sends the ball approximately where I want it even if I don't have time to practice frequently. At the same time, I have been too pampered by the feel of soft forged irons, so I could not accept the feel of a lot of the off the rack CB models (plus the BFG irons are very reasonably priced once you consider the shaft options and fitting service).

Finally, the biggest reason I switched to BFG is because it is a Singapore Product and Brand. Designed by a local SME (as opposed to GLCs), with input from our own Singaporean Tour Players, it is something I can be proud of using. The fact that it was tested by Golf Digest against major Japanese brands and came out strong is an added bonus.

Your choice mate, I have never regretted my miura irons but I would just caution about making sure you buy the real stuff.
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 6:53 am

Bro Derek, this is a very good n honest review of yr bfg vs. miura irons. Makes me feel like buying the fish sticks now!
Back to top Go down
richardyeo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 8:50 am

Derek wrote:
as long as you can trust the authenticity of the club ... you know what they say about things being too good to be true

As for my review of CB-501, I was using it for slightly more than 2 years, think I bought them in June 2010 and used them until I replaced them with the BFG Irons (I am based in M'sia now). On the good side, all my best scores were played with them. However, they are pretty demanding clubs to use on the green. Prior to the CB-501, I was using a set of Tourstage V7000, CBs with quite a bit of offset, but forged and soft feeling as well. Nice perimeter weighting and lower CG also meant more forgiveness, especially in launching the ball (I tend to pick the ball quite cleanly off the grass so my bad shots are usually thin shots).

After switching, I had trouble launching my 7 iron properly, let alone the 5 and 6. Went from an 80s player to a 90s player overnight. Practiced hard and consulted my coach, after 4 weeks of hard practice, some improvement but still lacked confidence on the green with the 5 and 6, so replaced them with 5 and 6 tourstage hybrids with light steel shafts. The improvement in my scores began immediately after. Continued to practice until I was comfortable using the 6 iron off the tee, and finally off the deck, but that took almost 15 months. Under moments of pressure though, would still pull out the 6 hybrid (28 Deg), as I had a lot more memories of good shots with that club.

The Miuras feel fantastic if you strike them properly, but they are not forgiving. However, if you want a set that will force you to develop sound iron striking fundamentals, the CB-501s will do that for you (incidentally, any of the blades being sold 2nd hand for less than $200 in another thread will also do the same job). But be prepared to put in a lot of practice. If you can get through that (proper instruction concurrently helps as well), the feeling of hitting the sweet spot consistently with Miuras is priceless.

As to why I switched to BFG? Like I mentioned earlier, my natural tendency is to pick the ball off the grass, and my good shots either leave very shallow divots or just ruffle the surface of the grass. I needed more help, especially on thin shots, and the BFG irons provided than. The difference between good shots and ok shots was less with the BFG irons than with the miuras.

If I still had the time to practice regularly (i.e. 5 times a week), I would probably not have changed clubs. But being newly married, a new job and moving to a new country is not conducive for regular practice. So I decided to get a set that is less workable and still sends the ball approximately where I want it even if I don't have time to practice frequently. At the same time, I have been too pampered by the feel of soft forged irons, so I could not accept the feel of a lot of the off the rack CB models (plus the BFG irons are very reasonably priced once you consider the shaft options and fitting service).

Finally, the biggest reason I switched to BFG is because it is a Singapore Product and Brand. Designed by a local SME (as opposed to GLCs), with input from our own Singaporean Tour Players, it is something I can be proud of using. The fact that it was tested by Golf Digest against major Japanese brands and came out strong is an added bonus.

Your choice mate, I have never regretted my miura irons but I would just caution about making sure you buy the real stuff.

Hi Derek

Thanks for your priceless review!

Thanks n regards
Yeo

Back to top Go down
ranctor
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ranctor

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 am

very good review Derek. I agreed with your assessment on CB501. I've been using this for psat 6 months and still learning to strike the ball properly on every shot. Need alot of focus using CB501.
Back to top Go down
robin1_sg
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 pm

ranctor wrote:
very good review Derek. I agreed with your assessment on CB501. I've been using this for psat 6 months and still learning to strike the ball properly on every shot. Need alot of focus using CB501.

On good shots, the Miura rewards you, but not so good or bad shots, it amplifiy the mistakes. For weekend players, how many times do we really hit good or near perfect shots? I agree with Derek too, as I went from an high 80s players to 100+ on my first game using the Miura passing point. if I still can't play well in next 2 games, I wil just retire it to my store room Very Happy
Back to top Go down
robin1_sg
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 12:53 pm

*edited* double posting
Back to top Go down
ranctor
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ranctor

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm

I tried P9003 even though stats shows I hit better than CB501 but I still like CB501 head design. Can show me how to play high 80s when you are free?

robin1_sg wrote:
ranctor wrote:

On good shots, the Miura rewards you, but not so good or bad shots, it amplifiy the mistakes. For weekend players, how many times do we really hit good or near perfect shots? I agree with Derek too, as I went from an high 80s players to 100+ on my first game using the Miura passing point. if I still can't play well in next 2 games, I wil just retire it to my store room Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 am

robin1_sg wrote:
ranctor wrote:

If ur playing 80s then it shouldnt be a prob to play passing point.. Surprised u went from 80+ to 100+... If its cb 501 or blades i wont be surprised..

Just to add i played in al badia earlier with rental clubs ,tm tp forged with dg r300 shafts.. Still is much easier than my own miuras.. They are soft too.. So it doesnt really matter wat you play .. Ask urself what do u like ? I still like my miuras..
Back to top Go down
robin1_sg
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 3:00 am

That's a one off result playing that set of clubs for the first time using it. Why not 100+? golf is a game of averaging scores, and sometimes our scores do fluctuate, especially when one is not too familiar with the new clubs, new course etc, don't we? There are people like you who can play any clubs off the rack. For me, I need to customize it according to my height, swing weight, type of shaft, lie angle, overall weight etc. Anyway, nothing surprising here, as there is no prize to be won for playing badly. PP is slightly more forgiving, compare to 501, but not too far off, at least to me. I have since gotten used to my set now and played my average scores. Some blades are not exactly unforgiving, so I won't generalize my comments here.

In reply to Nigel, u know jolly well how to play and I am not sure what u are driving at with your comments.
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 9:05 am

Derek people ask about cb501 vs cb1007 n U compare with IKAN, and try to confuse ppl??

"{Finally, the biggest reason I switched to BFG is because it is a Singapore Product and Brand. Designed by a local SME (as opposed to GLCs), with input from our own Singaporean Tour Players, it is something I can be proud of using. The fact that it was tested by Golf Digest against major Japanese brands and came out strong is an added bonus.}"

We all know who Fitted and Sell the Ikan club to U , I also like to see more LOCAL HOUSE Brand, but how U classified

SINGAPORE PRODUCT??????

I SUGGEST U CHANGE IT TO LOCAL BRAND . missLEADING

IKAN tow, not make in Singapore
IKAN stick also not make locally
Ikan tail definitely not made here

UNless our favorite club fitter start to melt or forged irons in singapore
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 10:39 am

uncleP wrote:
Derek people ask about cb501 vs cb1007 n U compare with IKAN, and try to confuse ppl??

"{Finally, the biggest reason I switched to BFG is because it is a Singapore Product and Brand. Designed by a local SME (as opposed to GLCs), with input from our own Singaporean Tour Players, it is something I can be proud of using. The fact that it was tested by Golf Digest against major Japanese brands and came out strong is an added bonus.}"

We all know who Fitted and Sell the Ikan club to U , I also like to see more LOCAL HOUSE Brand, but how U classified

SINGAPORE PRODUCT??????

I SUGGEST U CHANGE IT TO LOCAL BRAND . missLEADING

IKAN tow, not make in Singapore
IKAN stick also not make locally
Ikan tail definitely not made here

UNless our favorite club fitter start to melt or forged irons in singapore
Well uncleP if IKAN were to melt or forged in singapore, it'll no longer be IKAN, it'll be Whale. Btw the next thing people would suggest the source if steel not locally source...it'll never end. Topic OFF
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 10:51 am

enweeeeee,
ppl ask for comparison btw cb 501 vs the other CB.

I remind him to KEEP it that way.

IKAN stick is our Singapore Brand, mastermind by our PASSION FITTER.

I believe it is a good combi. WELL DONE Eric.

How about enwee, U start a topic for all to PRAISE THE IKAN,

I STILL INSIST IT IS A SINGAPORE BRAND.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007   Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Miura CB501 vs Miura Giken CB1007
Page 1 of 1