Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

hurting fingers?!

Go down 
+18
mengteck71
tonnyfong
cheekylupin
mc8
eladnonnac
Fronzenre
almag69
abadan
aero66
KCL
mrkatsucurry
Derek
TheFocalPoint
MadScientist
jason.koh.54966
kenneth18
willytan
r3iz
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
r3iz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 2:46 pm

hey guys, after going to the range frequently I felt some pain in my 4th and last finger of my left hand.. anyone had such an experience before? was wondering if it is a case of improper hand grip or I gripped too tight (I grip very very tight when I'm using thee driver).
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 3:44 pm

IMHO it might be due to the tightness of ur grip. Always remind one selfs that the grip should only be a firm (4-5 /10) rather than tight.

Use ICE treatment ie; hot towel it for 5-10 min followed by cold towel 5-10 min x 2. It will help on the swelling of ur fingers.

Seniors here pls advise.
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 9:36 pm

I m sure it yr tight grip, loosen it up. Your grip shld be firm n not tight, this is what my coach teach me.
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 10:22 pm

I m suffering from it too, guessed my grip was too tight......plus my right elbow pretty sore too.... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
MadScientist
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 1:32 am

r3iz wrote:
hey guys, after going to the range frequently I felt some pain in my 4th and last finger of my left hand.. anyone had such an experience before? was wondering if it is a case of improper hand grip or I gripped too tight (I grip very very tight when I'm using thee driver).

Got it too.

Gripping too tight.

Anyways, gripping too tight means you can love the correct range, etc. Due to muscle tensing up. Relax,a bit and things work better.

Meanwhile, massage the fingers, the wrist below the last finger and next to the ball.... As well as your elbow area distal of the funny bone.
Back to top Go down
r3iz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 8:57 am

even when driving, just a firm grip will do? I tend to tighten my grip a lot more when I'm using the driver
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 9:05 am

jason.koh.54966 wrote:
I m suffering from it too, guessed my grip was too tight......plus my right elbow pretty sore too.... Crying or Very sad

I'd be more concerned about you elbow. If you're a beginner and always hitting the mat before the ball, it won't be long before an onset of tennis/golfers elbow. And this will be VERY painful and difficult to cure completely.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 am

r3iz wrote:
even when driving, just a firm grip will do? I tend to tighten my grip a lot more when I'm using the driver

Especially when driving it is important to grip with just the right amount of force.
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mrkatsucurry

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Try one of those magnetic bracelets.

Works for me.

Apparently taka got a sale going on, so those things going on sale.

Or..... You could practice putting for 2 weeks to let your body recover...

The putter is used much more than the driver.

Sian right? That's why I bought the bracelet.
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
KCL

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Had the same problem when I first started. Was gripping too tight. Relax your shoulders at address, grip pressure should lighten. Works for me, no more pain in fingers.
Back to top Go down
aero66
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
aero66

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 12:58 pm

All golfer will suffer some form of pain here and there. Impt is to allow your body to recover and find out what is wrong ( likely too strong grip ). Force it too hard and you will get injured. I too suffer a bad shoulder blade pain, after 10 over years still hurt at times.

Look after your body and enjoy the game.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 2:43 pm

TheFocalPoint wrote:
jason.koh.54966 wrote:

I'd be more concerned about you elbow. If you're a beginner and always hitting the mat before the ball, it won't be long before an onset of tennis/golfers elbow. And this will be VERY painful and difficult to cure completely.

Noted, bro.....but I seldom hit the mat before the ball, let say out of 50 balls, maybe once..... Sad
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 10:47 am

Gripping too tight guys. I had the same problem a few months back. If you are not careful, it will travel up your arm like me.

you will develop tennis elbow (on left arm) and tricep might also get affected in time.

Take about 2 weeks off golf. i know hard to do. keke.

If not, loosen that grip and the pain in the fingers will go away. you'd be surprised that you actually will start hitting longer and straighter too.

many ppl have commented that i grip the club way too tight. and i'm making a conscious effort to change that.

I would go see a chinese doctor if you want it to recover faster. Western doc just gave me MC and some cream to apply and pain killers.
Back to top Go down
almag69
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 pm

MC! I want
Back to top Go down
Fronzenre
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 1:28 am

i got the same problem but more due to my finger's flesh??? so when the calluses are up, with the dead skin, i didn't feel pain anymore. just like the calluses you get when you go pull ups.
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 7:23 am

Tried it out yesterday night at the range, reminded myself to relax my grip, not only the pain is not there after the driving but my ball flights were more consistent and straight. Realised when held with a tight grip, not only fingers hurt but the shoulders super tensed up, therefore cannot hit good shots..
Back to top Go down
eladnonnac
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 am

About a year ago, I had a case of trigger finger which was a sharp pain in one of my fingers. I couldn't even hold or grip the club and had to stop golf for a month. I went for treatment at SGH and had to splint my finger for a couple of weeks. Each day, I had to put my fingers in warm water to help with the movement. You can google what trigger finger is about. I read up on the internet that you can actually increase your grip size on your clubs so that you won't grip it so tight. I did it after i recovered, and never got the same problem again. Would suggest increasing the grip size. It definitely helps people with too tight a grip, and hurting fingers.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 am

jason.koh.54966 wrote:
Tried it out yesterday night at the range, reminded myself to relax my grip, not only the pain is not there after the driving but my ball flights were more consistent and straight. Realised when held with a tight grip, not only fingers hurt but the shoulders super tensed up, therefore cannot hit good shots..

that's great news bro! keep it up. Smile no more pain and ball go straighter and more consistent! win win ah! Smile

actually i feel when i grip too tight, not only shoulders tense up.. everything also tense up. wrist, pecs(chest), shoulders(upper back). distance also shorter and higher tendency to make mistakes like duffing.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:52 am

Fronzenre wrote:
i got the same problem but more due to my finger's flesh??? so when the calluses are up, with the dead skin, i didn't feel pain anymore. just like the calluses you get when you go pull ups.

Bro.. dun think this thread is talking about blisters or calluses. Its more like trigger finger.. where the nerve is affected. Causing very sharp pain at the side of the knuckles. Sometimes so painful.. pressing on the nerve feels like pressing on a fractured finger. If not taken care of, can cause golf or tennis elbow and up the arm.

Some ppl seek western treatment, like getting steroid injections, i prefer the eastern approach which is accupunture and tui nah. But also go see a GP to get MC. keke. Razz
Back to top Go down
mc8
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 pm

i have the same problem too. scared me when i couldnt move my pinkie finger back into extension (trigger fingered). pain has gotten better over time. first got it in september 12. doesnt hurt when playing golf but gets worse the morning after. i find massaging it hard with anti-inflammatory cream helps it.
Back to top Go down
cheekylupin
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 11:45 pm

been taking beginner's lesson for a month plus and my left hand always hurt for a few days after every lesson. fingers will hurt when i try to straighten them.

how hard should i grip the club? sorry if i sound very noob but i don't dare to loosen my grip too much for fear that the club will fly out together with the ball. Razz
Back to top Go down
mc8
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 11:51 pm

yeah i wish someone told me about this earlier before i started. was hitting too many balls in too short a time when i first took lessons.

i'd think firmly enough for the club to stay in your hands when you swing. and since i got the stiff fingers, i think its better that the club fly out of your hands rather than have these fingers every morning Smile
Back to top Go down
tonnyfong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am

hahha. my dad's friend always say "hold the club as if you are holding a bird with both hands. holding too tight will suffocate it, holding too loose it will fly away".
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 7:15 am

cheekylupin wrote:
been taking beginner's lesson for a month plus and my left hand always hurt for a few days after every lesson. fingers will hurt when i try to straighten them.

how hard should i grip the club? sorry if i sound very noob but i don't dare to loosen my grip too much for fear that the club will fly out together with the ball. Razz

Bro, cannot keep griping it too hard, wait the pain get worse then cannot play.....for your left hand, try to grip with focus on just the last 3 finger, just a firm grip like a good handshake, try it with a few dry swing, see how it feel......don't worry, club wouldn't fly off that easily....
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 7:19 am

abadan wrote:
jason.koh.54966 wrote:

that's great news bro! keep it up. Smile no more pain and ball go straighter and more consistent! win win ah! Smile

actually i feel when i grip too tight, not only shoulders tense up.. everything also tense up. wrist, pecs(chest), shoulders(upper back). distance also shorter and higher tendency to make mistakes like duffing.

Agreed Bro, once body tensed up be it grip, stance, shoulders, body, etc all affected.....our swing will goes haywire, that's for sure...so now, I relax relax then swing equal better end results.... Laughing most of the time, during the swing, we likely to think too much of the proper sequences, too much stress liao....so now, just relax and swing...... cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hurting fingers?!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: hurting fingers?!    hurting fingers?!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hurting fingers?!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next