Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Game improvement irons with low offset

Go down 
+10
audi
enwee
Begbie
IGT
Turbo
den
joshyo
scottycollector
pocketace
gumby
14 posters
AuthorMessage
gumby
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Game improvement irons with low offset Empty
PostSubject: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 4:32 pm

I have a tendency to hook due to a very strong grip. I'm working on making it more neutral but not expecting to be able to turn this around overnight.

At the same time, I'm in the market for new irons to replace the circa 15yr old hand-me-downs I've been using that have a significant offset and obviously weren't fitted for me.

Curious if anybody has recommendations for a game improvement iron with low offset? I'm keen to resolve my grip/swing issues to in time reduce the hooking tendency, but in the interim also keen to get a club that suits where I'm at better than my current set.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 pm

you are looking for cavity backed irons with minimal offset but still packed with forgiveness?

Try mizuno jpx 800 pro, 825 pro, Or the Tour Preferred (TP) version of taylormade burner or RBZ irons, just to name a few

Players cavity back irons like mizuno mp 52, 53, 57 is another option
But I find the forgiveness is lesser for such irons, their cavity is not as deep.

15 year old irons are due for a change, you deserve a change! Good luck trying out irons.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 8:05 pm

there are quite a few choices out there

Since you are replacing a 15 year old set, i think u deserve to get a nice forged set. I'd recommend mizuno jpx pro, or Mp 59.

Cheaper forged options: Taylormade tour preferred CB forged irons or Callaway Razr X forged irons, Cobra S2 forged (u can't find the s2 selling for brand new anymore, so got to check out 2nd hand shops). In terms of forgiveness, TM CB is the most forgiving, followed by S2 forged and Razr X.

Cast option, which is not necessarily cheaper: Taylormade R11. It's also usually harder to find cast irons with less offset since they are usually meant to be super game improvement irons.

If you are willing to spend more, u can check out Yamaha irons.
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 8:26 pm

scottycollector wrote:
there are quite a few choices out there

Since you are replacing a 15 year old set, i think u deserve to get a nice forged set. I'd recommend mizuno jpx pro, or Mp 59.

I second this. Golf direct has good price on mp59 with DG shafts.
Back to top Go down
den
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
den

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi Bro Gumby

Please check out the BFG CB 003 iron.
You can request Eric to take a look at the swing issues during the fitting session.
All your best in your search !

Cheerios

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Bro Grumpy, Game Improvement Irons usually have higher off-set than players' irons. Hence I am not sure if you can find GI irons with low off-set ...
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:33 pm

R7 TP may get the job done; I find this casted model better than most.
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 pm

JPX 800 Pro.. minimum offset, maximum forgiveness. Soft like butter...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 pm

IGT wrote:
R7 TP may get the job done; I find this casted model better than most.

R11 Irons (casted) also quite ok looking & forgiving, no?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 11:39 pm

den wrote:
Hi Bro Gumby

Please check out the BFG CB 003 iron.
You can request Eric to take a look at the swing issues during the fitting session.
All your best in your search !

Cheerios

Very Happy
+1...forgiveness....so far great.....
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 8:18 am

miura cb501 is pretty forgiving too. u cant go wrong with a miura
Back to top Go down
grooveballer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
grooveballer

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 8:58 am

I second the BFG CB003 irons. Excellent set.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 am

All very good recommendations. However, IMHO.. if you dun fix your strong grip, u'd be hooking any club. offset or not.

I know the grip is one of the hardest things to change. But its really not that hard. if u dun have time to go range, just practice gripping any club and swing at home. "air grip" also can(as in pretend that u're holding a club. just keep reminding urself that u should see at least 2 knuckles of ur right hand. NOT the fleshy part below ur thumb. Smile

Totally agree with bro Scottycollector. Can't think of any reason why u shouldn't get forged irons. Was gonna recommend TM Tour Preferred CBs too cus i think u can still get them for $599. really good value for money!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 am

hook is more likely cause by what the hands and body does at impact rather than the offset of the club. offset is meant to help launch conditions as well as to makes it friendlier as clubs with less offset makes it easier to square the club head at impact, not help it closed.

no information is better than a bit more than necessary information in club selection. when you are out testing clubs, take note of the number of bad shots and don't just let the couple of good shots influence your selection.

the best way to score is to reduce the no of bad shots and feel has very little to do with scoring. in fact it ranks very low in the overall performance. have you ever asked yourself when and why you shot a very low round of golf?

our success in helping golfers play better golf are one.....help them know where they fail, suggest way to improve and finally point them to something that will suit them better. selling a club is easy but making sure our customers improve after that is the tough part.......haha

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
gumby
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks for all the constructive replies. Really good stuff.

Agree with the various thoughts on actually fixing the swing issues.

Will check in later with an update on how the club search and swing fixing goes!
Back to top Go down
gumby
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Have made some good progress with my grip. Finally comfortable with a more neutral grip and the ball is flying much straight and more consistently as a result (at least at the range!). Lessons with a good pro have helped a lot. Going to start properly shopping for the irons now, perhaps with less emphasis on the low offset because I think that's less relevant now I'm slowly sorting out the underlying swing issues. Light at the end of the tunnel perhaps. Now for scoring to follow.
Back to top Go down
gumby
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 8:37 am

Ended up with Mizuno JPX 825 Pro Forged with the NS Pro stiff shaft. On the launch monitor when I finally arrived at that shaft, it flew 15 yards further and dispersion was significantly tighter. Loving them on the range so far. First course visit next week.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 1:19 pm

gumby wrote:
Ended up with Mizuno JPX 825 Pro Forged with the NS Pro stiff shaft. On the launch monitor when I finally arrived at that shaft, it flew 15 yards further and dispersion was significantly tighter. Loving them on the range so far. First course visit next week.

Did u try the R-Flex 950 NSPro shaft? If yes, which one gives a higher launch angle? I have tried both flexes before but I dun experience any different between these two flexes ... Even the feel & weight of these two are about the same although if I am not wrong, the S-Flex shaft should be heavier and has lower torque ... Low kickpoint as well ...
Back to top Go down
gumby
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Turbo wrote:
gumby wrote:

Did u try the R-Flex 950 NSPro shaft? If yes, which one gives a higher launch angle? I have tried both flexes before but I dun experience any different between these two flexes ... Even the feel & weight of these two are about the same although if I am not wrong, the S-Flex shaft should be heavier and has lower torque ... Low kickpoint as well ...

I tried them but didn't really track the difference in launch angle between the two flexes and didn't keep any data - sorry can't be more helpful!
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 2:10 pm

DGman wrote:
hook is more likely cause by what the hands and body does at impact rather than the offset of the club. offset is meant to help launch conditions as well as to makes it friendlier as clubs with less offset makes it easier to square the club head at impact, not help it closed.

no information is better than a bit more than necessary information in club selection. when you are out testing clubs, take note of the number of bad shots and don't just let the couple of good shots influence your selection.

the best way to score is to reduce the no of bad shots and feel has very little to do with scoring. in fact it ranks very low in the overall performance. have you ever asked yourself when and why you shot a very low round of golf?

our success in helping golfers play better golf are one.....help them know where they fail, suggest way to improve and finally point them to something that will suit them better. selling a club is easy but making sure our customers improve after that is the tough part.......haha

DGman

In other words

Why feel good (or go for soft buttery feel) when you can't score? Hahah.

Hands shong but score card no shong.

Point noted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game improvement irons with low offset   Game improvement irons with low offset I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game improvement irons with low offset
Page 1 of 1