Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Handicap Revision

Go down 
+11
tronos
Derek
nrafee
elyjacob
pug
Tiramisu
simoner
shimizu.toruk
slazenger
righthook
tincup
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tincup
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 7:00 pm

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but i have been asking around and getting varied answers.

When my daughter was taking her handicap test a year ago, she was given a handicap of 36. However, her playing has progressed even though we have got limited time on the course. She is probably at a stage where she can play off a 24.

The question here is whether there is anyway to reduce her official handicap to 24 by getting another courtesy round because this will avoid having to continuously play 18 holes every week until we get there.

The reason for asking is because the Inter-School requires an official handicap of 24 for girls?!?! Don't ask me how they get away with that, but i have since stopped trying to seek any avenue of change with the MoE...

As to why she has to take part, it's all part of CCA points that will contribute to reducing her O level scores which everyone else is chasing... Sigh another of the chase of the system.

Appreciate if anyone out there has ideas i have not thought of, but happy to hear candid feedback as well because, if i'm prepared to post this, i'm prepared for the flames...

thanx all.
Back to top Go down
righthook
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
righthook

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi my knowledge is limited, what I know of is the handicap system is the average of the last 5 games submitted

Back to top Go down
slazenger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Take it in a neighbouring country?
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 4:54 pm

I suppose your daugter's handicap is maintained in singapore by a SGA-affliated club? if yes then assuming if she plays regularly and submit scorecard after each game the HCP will be updated on the 1st of each month

I just got mine updated. HCP revised downwards :-(.

I'm with MGK in case you're wondering
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Handicap is calculated based on the 10 best scores out of the latest 20 submitted. Hence, there will be more revision, where up or down, if scores are submitted regularly after games.
Back to top Go down
tincup
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks for the response guys. My daughter's handicap is maintained by NSRCC and it does look like will have to just get more games to get the handicap revised downwards - boh pian.

And Simoner is right - the handicaps are based on the best 10 scores over the last 20 submitted.

Thanks for all you help and responses.
Back to top Go down
Tiramisu
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tiramisu

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 2:59 pm

My son also got his handicap a year ago. Same like yr dd need to drop handicap, i think so my son need to have hc18 to join the inter sec school golf tournament. I sent him to play quite a lot during the holidays. I guess can only play and slowly manage the hc.
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm

The Handicap Index formula is based on the best Handicap Differential(s) in a player's scoring record. If a player's scoring record contains 20 scores, the best 10 Handicap Differentials of the most recent 20 scores are used to calculate the Handicap Index. As the number of scores in the scoring record decreases, the percentage of scores used in a scoring record decreases from the maximum of the best 50 percent. If the scoring record contains 9 or 10 scores, only the best three scores (30 to 33 percent) in the scoring record will be used. Thus, the accuracy of a player's Handicap Index is directly proportional to the number of acceptable scores posted. A Handicap Index must not be issued to a player who has returned fewer than five acceptable scores. The following procedures illustrate how an authorized golf association, golf club, and computation services calculate a player's Handicap Index.

The procedure for calculating a Handicap Index is as follows:

Step 1: Use the table below to determine the number of Handicap Differential(s) to use:
Handicap Revision 82857398-0e1c-41ad-b7ec-46917e669e98

Step 2: Determine Handicap Differential(s);

Step 3: Average the Handicap Differential(s) being used;

Step 4: Multiply the average by .96*;

Step 5: Delete all numbers after the tenths' digit (truncate). Do not round to the nearest tenth.

Example 1: Fewer than 20 scores (11 scores available).

Total of lowest 4 Handicap Differentials: 104.1
Average (104.1 / 4): 26.025
Multiply average by .96: 24.984
Delete all numbers after
the tenth digit (truncate).
Do not round to the nearest tenth: 24.9
Handicap Index: 24.9
Back to top Go down
elyjacob
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 7:51 pm

good piece of info bro. thx
Back to top Go down
Tiramisu
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tiramisu

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks pug for yr sharing.
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Pug,

I studied your example very long.. din understand how to get the differentiate..
Guess this is the same calculation right?

http://www.ehow.com/how_15107_calculate-golf-handicap.html

Caddy
Caddy

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Actually there is a sticky thread under golf talk that explains usga handicapping. Would it make more sense if it was shifted here?

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 pm

to raise handicap must submit 20 high scores? hardcore one can do so in less than 2 months (3 game a week) or a more easy 3 months.
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Derek wrote:
Actually there is a sticky thread under golf talk that explains usga handicapping. Would it make more sense if it was shifted here?

Sorry Sorry... forgot about it...
here we go..

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t15691-usga-handicap-related-faq

Caddy
Caddy

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 12:03 am

tronos wrote:
to raise handicap must submit 20 high scores? hardcore one can do so in less than 2 months (3 game a week) or a more easy 3 months.

Min 5, it just gets more accurate the more scores are submitted

Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 am

nrafee wrote:
Pug,

I studied your example very long.. din understand how to get the differentiate..
Guess this is the same calculation right?

http://www.ehow.com/how_15107_calculate-golf-handicap.html

Yes, differential is (score - course_rating) x 113 / slope_rating.
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 am

tronos wrote:

End of the day, there is no verification of the scores that a golfer submits. It is a matter of integrity. Just take note that handicap is just a measure of your playing potential. Most tournaments do not use the handicap and just determine the winners based on Stableford or other scoring system.

Conclusion: Be true to yourself and submit scorecards diligently.
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:20 am

tincup wrote:
Thanks for the response guys. My daughter's handicap is maintained by NSRCC and it does look like will have to just get more games to get the handicap revised downwards - boh pian.

And Simoner is right - the handicaps are based on the best 10 scores over the last 20 submitted.

Thanks for all you help and responses.
I know the fastest way to reduce is to play and not submit the score card. I forgot to submit 2x and mine got reduce 2pts.! Omg! But it is seriously not my true playing ability....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 am

I think it's funny how the typical buayas don't even dare venture close to this thread Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:56 am

Technospaz wrote:
I think it's funny how the typical buayas don't even dare venture close to this thread Smile

Their hcp revision formula is different ah.... Razz
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:57 am

Technospaz wrote:

cos its not relevant to them....

they revise up..... NOT down

u so silly....

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:58 am

blee wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Their hcp revision formula is different ah.... Razz

Oddly, it involves a lot of adding to, rather than subtracting from, the handicap.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 am

NO lah ... GR handicaps are pretty similar to USGA handicaps, just that instead of using the best 10 scores from the last 20 games, the worst 3 scores are used.

USGA Handicap = Optimal Playing Potential

GR Handicap = Ceiling of worst possible score even on a bad day

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:36 am

Derek wrote:
NO lah ... GR handicaps are pretty similar to USGA handicaps, just that instead of using the best 10 scores from the last 20 games, the worst 3 scores are used.

LOL!

+1

Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:41 am

Derek wrote:

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Handicap Revision Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handicap Revision   Handicap Revision I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handicap Revision
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next