Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for a coach to teach driver

Go down 
+14
sob
simoner
Hogan
Derek
TITW
3131T
Turbo
mattpro0796
odyssey23
aerosmith10
Technospaz
Happy Feet
EastCoastHack
mythr
18 posters
AuthorMessage
mythr
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Looking for a coach to teach driver Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 2:20 am

My coach didnt really teach me how to use a driver.. just did 1 lesson and tats it. didnt go thru anything just let me anyhow swing it for an hour
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
EastCoastHack

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 8:17 am

How consistent are you with your 7 iron?
Back to top Go down
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 8:26 am

U r better than me.... I don even hv a coach.

Chk out the golf pro we hv here . They are all in red color nicks
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 8:56 am

Err... it seems that your coach didn't give you sufficient coaching. Rather than looking for a new coach straight off, why don't you hammer your old coach first. If he's decent enough, he'll help you out.
Back to top Go down
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 8:59 am

Quote :
Technospaz wrote:
Err... it seems that your coach didn't give you sufficient coaching. Rather than looking for a new coach straight off, why don't you hammer your old coach first. If he's decent enough, he'll help you out.

I think he specialized in non-driver shots.
Back to top Go down
aerosmith10
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 am

Actually I too am quite curious if anyone has done that and whether coaches do agree on teaching only the driver. Because for myself my irons are okay while my driver is crap. If and when I do get coach it would be to correct my driver swing first and if I'm happy then I'll let the coach "reformat" my iron swing. Wonder if any one here has gone on that approach?
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:51 am

I think nothing wrong with your coach. We all want to learn as fast as we can but it takes time to develop your swing. If you can't even swing an iron properly, don't think you can handle the longest club in the bag. Take your time to learn, practise and enjoy the game. Like any other sport, it will take time to get there. If not, all of us will be like tiger.
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:58 am

aerosmith10 wrote:
Actually I too am quite curious if anyone has done that and whether coaches do agree on teaching only the driver. Because for myself my irons are okay while my driver is crap. If and when I do get coach it would be to correct my driver swing first and if I'm happy then I'll let the coach "reformat" my iron swing. Wonder if any one here has gone on that approach?

Ummmmm one swing for all clubs!!

If you have "two" swings, things get complicated very quickly....

If you feel you hit your irons well - it's probably set-up related when hitting driver poorly.

If you hit your irons poorly - You'll hit your driver even worse.

I'm more than happy to take a look - However, nothing can be fixed without actually seeing you hit the ball.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://academyofgolf.com.sg
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:58 am

I find it a lot easier to handle Driver versus 3i or 4i ... I find it hard to get the consistency for long irons ... Most of the time I keep the Hybrids 20 deg and 24 deg in my bag ...
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
3131T

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 10:15 am

I was taught only one swing for all clubs by my coach...
Back to top Go down
TITW
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TITW

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I echo the same sentiments with the above posts.. one swing for all clubs. The swing would feel diff becos of the differences in club lengths.

Do view this video (from RSS viewpoint)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cops580TR1o

Enjoy
Back to top Go down
mythr
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 1:28 pm

EastCoastHack wrote:
How consistent are you with your 7 iron?

hit pretty ok with my irons
Back to top Go down
mythr
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 1:33 pm

aerosmith10 wrote:

ya totally know how u feel, let me know if u find a coach tat does that
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 1:37 pm

My first lesson on how to swing the driver (from my coach) lasted one hour 3 years ago. It was essentially set up related and rhythm related. Did it fix everything instantly? Nope. Did I fully understand the lesson? Not really. Did I have a consistent swing then? Not really, was hovering between 110-100 ... but I practiced and as my overall swing and ball striking improved ... so did my driver as well

My next lesson specifically for driver swing was about 9 months later, I had broken 90 by then and was trying to understand how to gain consistent direction (distance would be a benefit). My coach (same one) spent that 90 mins teaching me how to teach myself to find, feel and ingrain a good rhythm at a tempo suited for me. The session largely involved taking my driver and first aiming to carry the ball only 50m (but at a specific target). When I could hit 2 or 3 good shots (good direction, correct distance), the target was increased by increments of 25m, i.e. 75m, 100m, 125m ,150m, 175m .... etc

At the end of the 2nd lesson, did I have a much better understand of how to swing a driver? Absolutely. Did I hit it straight and long all the time after that? Absolutely NOT! Did my driving accuracy improve? YES! and it was a sustained improvement until I forgot all these lessons in an effort to increase my swing speed to more than 100mph. Did he teach me anything technically different from my first lesson? I really don't think so.

About a couple of months ago, I started having really bad issues with driving again. The miss was a HUGE pull-hook which started left and kept on turning left. On hindsight, I was trying too hard to force with my upper body and coming way over the top. 6-8 OBs each round was common and I was going through golf balls so fast I switched back to 2nd hand balls (it was getting too painful to see brand new premium balls which cost more than $5 each sailing into the trees, or in my case, gardens by the bay). On some holes I would hit great drives, on others, extremely bad ones. My driving consistency was non-existent. I also had no idea what was going wrong, or how to fix it.

About 1 month ago, I finally had a chance to play with my coach again at JCC. It was our first game together in almost 2 years. After the first 6 holes, he made a simple comment about my rhythm which brought me back to the basics I was taught in my first driver lesson more than 3 years ago.

Although not a fairy tale ending (i still hit one drive into the water on hole 10, but at least i missed it right not left!), I drove the ball a LOT better for the rest of the round and even managed to birdie hole 18, a short par 5, with a chip from the back fringe and a 2 foot putt to close the hole.

A really long story, but what I am trying to relate is that the lesson about driving from more than 3 years ago did not change ... it just took 3 years and a lot of playing and practicing for me to make sense of it all and execute the motions required with minimal conscious thought. I finally got competent enough to appreciate the lesson.

The driver is arguably the most fun club in golf and the easiest to get decent contact with. However it is also the hardest to get consistent direction with. If PGA pros struggle to find fairways on a bad day, what about the rest of us?

Go back to a coach and get a 1 on 1 lesson on driving, including how to practice when you are by yourself, but don't forget, enjoy the journey and the golf in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi Mythr,
This is my personal experience. Your swing with the driver is actually a reflection of your skill and physical ability to hit the ball the farthest. Any coach can teach you golf skills but your physical ability is the thing they find hardest to change. Of course, skill and physical ability go hand in hand. I hope you can see now why your coach did not "teach" you the driver. He may have showed you all the right moves but you cannot change your physical ability over night. So maybe that is the reason why you cannot swing the driver consistently or as far as you want. If you are young and growing, then your driver swing will definitely improve over time. But if you are already approaching "senior" age, then you can be more consistent in your driver swing but your distance will not improve much.
So no need to despair. Just remember what your coach taught you, maybe even go back to him to check on it and practise.
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
mythr
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 2:14 pm

mythr wrote:
My coach didnt really teach me how to use a driver.. just did 1 lesson and tats it. didnt go thru anything just let me anyhow swing it for an hour

think a little background.

i play in the 90s teeing off with 3wood. but once i try a game with driver confidence lvl drop after seeing the shot and i go to the 100s...

types of shots i get is pop up / carry straight out then start sidespin(slice) / or horrible hook. once in a very blue moon it goes nicely straight out abt 250m. tried slowing down my swing but screws up my tempo and all kinds of horrible mishits come out. need a coach to help get consistency with e driver.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 pm

what a coincidence ... I have been playing in the 90s as well the last few months, even had a 13 on a Par 5 after 4 consecutive OBs ... 11 OBs that day and carded a 101 ... feel your pain

In any case, you already know what you need to do (i.e find a coach), my only piece of advice is to be a good student ... don't fall into the trap of thinking you know more about your own swing than the coach does

But then again, if you can drive 250m, you probably should not be taking advice from a short hitter like myself ... Beer
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 3:19 pm

One coach who offered me the best advice for driver is Kamisan from Punggol Range. His tips helped me alot in hitting the driver with more confidence.

Btw, he's not my golf coach but we talk quite a fair bit at the range.
Back to top Go down
mythr
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Derek wrote:
what a coincidence ... I have been playing in the 90s as well the last few months, even had a 13 on a Par 5 after 4 consecutive OBs ... 11 OBs that day and carded a 101 ... feel your pain

In any case, you already know what you need to do (i.e find a coach), my only piece of advice is to be a good student ... don't fall into the trap of thinking you know more about your own swing than the coach does

But then again, if you can drive 250m, you probably should not be taking advice from a short hitter like myself ... Beer

no la bro ill gladly sacrifice distance for accurate consistency
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Derek wrote:

ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 7:45 pm

250m, wow that is very very long. Around 275 yrds.
I have never drive so long before. If I can drive 200m (roll), I will treat all my flight mates for drinks liao.

But then again, I only begin to use the driver after playing for abt 3 yrs.
Pocketace is my witness.
He always tease me for teeing off with 5i and hybrid Smile

All the best bro in your pursuit of a driver swing.
Back to top Go down
copen123
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
copen123

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:47 pm

simoner wrote:
One coach who offered me the best advice for driver is Kamisan from Punggol Range. His tips helped me alot in hitting the driver with more confidence.

Btw, he's not my golf coach but we talk quite a fair bit at the range.

Kamisan is a good coach. I recently bought a new driver and was slicing like crazy, something that I never did with my old driver.
In 30min, I was not slicing anymore.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 pm

heres another recommendation if u just wanna lessons purely on driver - try Jimmy Poh of Toa Payoh Range.... individual lessons @ $70 per hr session tho he usually spends more time than the allocated hr,,, very hands on and patient chap
Back to top Go down
zenselv
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
zenselv

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Greg Park from Fairways Range is a very good coach..
Back to top Go down
zenselv
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
zenselv

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 11:02 pm

I mean green fairways
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a coach to teach driver   Looking for a coach to teach driver I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for a coach to teach driver
Page 1 of 1