Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to set the club behind the ball?

Go down 
+4
TDO
Cyp_PGA
haragolfer
jason.koh.54966
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

How to set the club behind the ball? Empty
PostSubject: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Let say iron 7, is the iron head actually only slightly touching or resting on the ground behind the ball before beginning of the swing?
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Simple answer . Both also can. But i think that will leave you more confused than before hor. Play on course as often as u can . The answer will come to you.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 12:40 am

What ever make you feel comfortable and be able to pull the trigger to hit the shot as good as you can !
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 8:26 am

I always place my club about 1/4" to 1/2" behind the ball when addressing it. Strange thing is I hardly hit good iron shots lately and tend to skull it. Sad
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 8:44 am

@TDO .. Bro, try putting it about 1/8" closer to the ball during address, maybe that will help Very Happy clown Just kidding...

@jason .. I wonder does it really made any different whether it is slightly touching or resting on the ground ? IMHO, everything is on how it impact ... The more we think about it, we going to screw it up more...
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 am

Slicer51 wrote:
@TDO .. Bro, try putting it about 1/8" closer to the ball during address, maybe that will help Very Happy clown Just kidding...

@jason .. I wonder does it really made any different whether it is slightly touching or resting on the ground ? IMHO, everything is on how it impact ... The more we think about it, we going to screw it up more...

Something is definitely wrong with my irons. My 9i only go 90 to 100 yards. How come ah! And Pw only 70 to 80 yards. I feel so sad with my irons game nowadays. Sad
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 10:33 am

TDO wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

Something is definitely wrong with my irons. My 9i only go 90 to 100 yards. How come ah! And Pw only 70 to 80 yards. I feel so sad with my irons game nowadays. Sad

Bro, an experience players like you and not much older then me. 9i 100 YARDS ? You do sound like buaya to me Laughing

Anyway, just swing faster la ...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 am

try setting the driver head 4 inches from the ball at address. i know a few pros who use this technique to get the club head hitting up and through. it is also supposed to promote a better follow-through.

there are lots of other tricks of the trade including leaving a small lump of mud on the dimple to create fade or draw shots.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 am

Quote :
Bro, an experience players like you and not much older then me. 9i 100 YARDS ? You do sound like buaya to me

Like that sound like buaya ah! Except that I keep losing money to my friend leh not win. But I do really have this problem for the past 6 months or more. Sian! Can drive cannot arrive. Maybe time to go to the mountains. Sad
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 10:55 am

Quote :
leaving a small lump of mud on the dimple to create fade or draw shots.
Ooo! This is something new to me despite the many years of golfing. Thanks bro for the tip. But still need to know exactly where to place the "mud" to promote a fade or draw.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 12:01 pm

TDO wrote:
Quote :
Bro, an experience players like you and not much older then me. 9i 100 YARDS ? You do sound like buaya to me

Like that sound like buaya ah! Except that I keep losing money to my friend leh not win. But I do really have this problem for the past 6 months or more. Sian! Can drive cannot arrive. Maybe time to go to the mountains. Sad

My bad, sorry did not mean to accuse you as a buaya but 9i 100 yards ( 91.44 meter) seems rather short.

I am not good enough to give any swing advise. I hope we can discuss and share our swing though if we have a chance.

Good luck, I am sure your swing will return.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Bro Slicer51, no worries. I used to hit 130m with 9i but that was many many moons ago, like 10 years ago. Then the distance started dropping like dominoes until it's too shameful to disclose but I still disclose, Never mind it's shame. Just want to off-load it off my shoulders to feel better. haha! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Pak Slicer and TDO,

perspective .... 9iron 160yds +/- 30 yrds left right (and +/- 15 yrds long short) ... not scary at all

however ... 9iron 100yrds +/- 1 yrd in all directions is F**King scary

Beer
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 3:06 pm

DGman wrote:
try setting the driver head 4 inches from the ball at address. i know a few pros who use this technique to get the club head hitting up and through. it is also supposed to promote a better follow-through.

there are lots of other tricks of the trade including leaving a small lump of mud on the dimple to create fade or draw shots.

DGman

The mud trick I find unbelievable... Too erratic and unpredictable ball flight with sediments on the ball. I doubt any pros use it.. Better off learning to swing right to shape shots
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Quote :

Bro Derek, if only this assumption is correct. However, mine is "9i 100yds +/- 30 yds left right (and +/- 15 yds long short) ... really scare the S**t out of me". Nothing seems to work for me nowadays.
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Thks for all the comments, appreciated.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 12:08 am

TDO wrote:
Quote :

Bro Derek, if only this assumption is correct. However, mine is "9i 100yds +/- 30 yds left right (and +/- 15 yds long short) ... really scare the S**t out of me". Nothing seems to work for me nowadays.

Hang in there, it will come back ...

Maybe now is a good time to try out other shots like 3/4 swing low punch shots or intentionally playing huge fades or draws ... who knows, it might help ... at the very least you will have fun anda good laugh if the result is completdly not what you intended
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 12:22 am

Quote :
Maybe now is a good time to try out other shots like 3/4 swing low punch shots or intentionally playing huge fades or draws ... who knows, it might help ... at the very least you will have fun anda good laugh if the result is completdly not what you intended

Haha! Bro, we have not played together before. I am doing 3/4 swing all my golfing life already. The moment I go full swing my ball direction will be worse and go haywire. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to set the club behind the ball?   How to set the club behind the ball? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to set the club behind the ball?
Page 1 of 1