Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?

Go down 
+9
billi
slinger
3131T
alvin7379
CoastGuy
4dtoto
Khorkar
Derek
battousai
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
battousai
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? Empty
PostSubject: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 pm

I hope someone can help me with my problem and perhaps highlight any drills to cure my ball flight.

My ball flight is too high when I"m using the irons. I've tried going to 2-3 different coaches during past years but I don't think it helps. They said having high ball flight is good, however, I"m losing distance. The trajectory of the ball seems to be ballooning at moment of impact. I've been playing for a while but stopped for 2-3 years due to frustration and started again because I'm getting my daughters to learn golf.

During my down swing, I pretty much have my weight to my left, don't break my wrist and rotate my arm/hand through impact. So if anyone here has the same problem and manage to fix the problem. Do advise.... please, Master Jedi!!!

Thanks!!! javascript:emoticonp('Crying or Very sad')

P.S> I have no problem with my FW 3 and I don't use much of a driver as the distance for my FW 3 for tee-off is acceptable (to me). hehe..
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 11:47 pm

What irons are u using?

Some clubheads are designed specifically to assist the launch of the golf ball ...

Last edited by Derek on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am

It sounded the same problem that I have as well. My issues is that I am trying to sweep the ball out with my hands. Resulting higher and shorter ball flight.
Back to top Go down
battousai
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 5:46 am

Derek wrote:
What irons are u using?

Some clubheads are designed specifically to assist the launch of the golf ball ...

I used to play with Taylormade R7 TP irons before and recently changed to Cobra S3 Pro Cobra when I started to play again Very Happy Both of irons use standard factory shaft and when I changed to the Cobra, I was trying to kind of eliminate any assist in launch and looking for true ball flight. That doesn't help... hehe...
Back to top Go down
battousai
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 5:54 am

Khorkar wrote:
It sounded the same problem that I have as well. My issues is that I am trying to sweep the ball out with my hands. Resulting higher and shorter ball flight.

I used to think that I was adding loft to my swing (scooping by having hand behind the ball when impact) before but I'm pretty sure now that I'm not because I compress the ball during impact (ball first and catch the turf after ball) Smile For you, I think that you have to be a little bit conscience to have the hands just in front of the ball at impact... hehe..
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 6:20 am

What shafts n flex play an important part too...see a clubfitter.
Back to top Go down
CoastGuy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoastGuy

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 9:16 am

Hi, maybe you would like to check your left wrist during back swing. In short, the more you cock your left wrist the higher the ball will go. Try to keep the wrist flat..

Just my 2 cents.. Smile

Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 9:40 am

address with the ball nearer to your right feet... might help a little..

But if you ask me... high ball flight is not what you should be concern about. If you can get consistant distance off each iron... I think it is more than sufficient.

Like one of my favourite big dog always says... no scare you long... only scare you zun! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 11:23 am

battousai wrote:
Derek wrote:
What irons are u using?

I used to play with Taylormade R7 TP irons before and recently changed to Cobra S3 Pro Cobra when I started to play again Very Happy Both of irons use standard factory shaft and when I changed to the Cobra, I was trying to kind of eliminate any assist in launch and looking for true ball flight. That doesn't help... hehe...

You mentioned that you think your high ball flight is causing you to lose distance. Could you share why you think this is the case? Also, your distances for your irons (avg for each club) would help the discussion.

Assuming all else equal, same club, shaft, smash factor etc ..., a faster swing speed will achieve higher max height compared to slower swing speed
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
3131T

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 11:59 am

Err.... how high is high????

If it is so high that u lost some distance, say, 7i at 130m.... then most will be thinking of getting it lower....

But if ur flight is high n stilll have 150m for 7i.... Why not???? And most will be happy with this....
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 3:42 pm

what your 7i distance????
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
billi

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 4:12 pm

High means carry .?
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi,

Quote - "During my down swing, I pretty much have my weight to my left, don't break my wrist and rotate my arm/hand through impact"

You probably feel like rotation - BUT you're probably flipping the wrists at the bottom of the swing adding loft to the club and creating the high trajectory.

Can you hit high bunker shots with no problem??

Come see me for half an hour (FREE!!) and I'll video your swing and explain the high flight properly....

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://academyofgolf.com.sg
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Pretty sure Matt is spot on this one. A ballooning flight with little carry only means you're scooping the ball, your shaft lean at impact is actually leaning back, get yourself in front of a launch monitor and it will tell all about your swing. I also thought I was swinging it well with a high fade till I got on the flightscope and my coach told me I'm adding loft to it and not compressing the ball.. Compensating the lack of smash factor and ball speed by the club speed I had with my arms
Back to top Go down
battousai
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Guys - Thanks for your response :-) Appreciate it.

My carry distance for my iron.
6i carry about 135m
7i carry about 125m
8i is about 110-115m?

The feeling (& sound) that i have upon impact with my irons, is like chipping with my 56 degree. I chip having the ball is more my right left and my club handle is leaning towards my left leg. I positioned my ball position for all of my mid-short irons at the centre. My ball from my irons don't roll much, it makes small few bounce and stop.

How high is my ball flight? I followed my brother to check out Mizuno iron at Golf House yesterday and tried a 7i on the test swing bay (room). There's a bulleye target cloth placed in room, everyone shooting hitting the target but my ball went up to top almost hitting the ceiling.. hehe..
Back to top Go down
battousai
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 8:52 pm

mattpro0796 wrote:
Hi,

Quote - "During my down swing, I pretty much have my weight to my left, don't break my wrist and rotate my arm/hand through impact"

You probably feel like rotation - BUT you're probably flipping the wrists at the bottom of the swing adding loft to the club and creating the high trajectory.

Can you hit high bunker shots with no problem??

Come see me for half an hour (FREE!!) and I'll video your swing and explain the high flight properly....

cheers

I'll take up on your offer :-) Will be on leave next week on Wednesday to Friday. Do PM me on detail i.e. location/ contact. Many thanks!
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Doesn't matter where you position the ball in relation to the stance at address. It all depends on the moment of impact. Sounds like to me you would be hanging back with the upper body and scooping/flipping the club face through and beyond impact.

But, it's hard to say without seeing your swing!

Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
3131T

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 8:56 pm

battousai wrote:
Guys - Thanks for your response :-) Appreciate it.

My carry distance for my iron.
6i carry about 135m
7i carry about 125m
8i is about 110-115m?

The feeling (& sound) that i have upon impact with my irons, is like chipping with my 56 degree. I chip having the ball is more my right left and my club handle is leaning towards my left leg. I positioned my ball position for all of my mid-short irons at the centre. My ball from my irons don't roll much, it makes small few bounce and stop.

How high is my ball flight? I followed my brother to check out Mizuno iron at Golf House yesterday and tried a 7i on the test swing bay (room). There's a bulleye target cloth placed in room, everyone shooting hitting the target but my ball went up to top almost hitting the ceiling.. hehe..

Ah... Now with more understanding of wat u mean high with ur data, soon, bros n expert here will be able to chip in...

Matt offer above will be good...
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Reverse pivot?
Back to top Go down
battousai
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 am

essentiale wrote:
Reverse pivot?

It may very well be but let see Sad Anyway, I'm meeting mattpro0796 today so that he'll be able to advise.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 1:20 pm

mattpro0796 wrote:
Doesn't matter where you position the ball in relation to the stance at address. It all depends on the moment of impact. Sounds like to me you would be hanging back with the upper body and scooping/flipping the club face through and beyond impact.

Good point to note ...
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 11:14 am

Good Lesson with Battousai,

Problem was identified and explained - Drills given and will follow up after xmas....

Thanks
Back to top Go down
rooney88
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 11:37 am

could u share with me what was the problem.. I might be facing the same problem.feel my ball flight is exceptionally high for 7iron..distance around 130 -135m.I''m thinking it could be due to my body leaning back through impact or not having forward lean on shaft. cyclops then again ,it could be some other causes
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 11:54 am

Hi Rooney88,

Unfortunately the problem experienced by the other student may differ from yours....

However, I'm willing to extend the same offer to you and invite you down for 30-45min to actually watch you swing and analyse using our software.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 6:17 pm

rooney88 wrote:
could u share with me what was the problem.. I might be facing the same problem.feel my ball flight is exceptionally high for 7iron..distance around 130 -135m.I''m thinking it could be due to my body leaning back through impact or not having forward lean on shaft. cyclops then again ,it could be some other causes

For social golfer hitting a 7i at 135m is considered not bad ... Moreover I assume it is a carry distance and minimum or almost zero roll since you mentioned you have high ball trajectory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?   Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball flight to high for irons.... Too much backspin?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next