Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods Empty
PostSubject: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 8:42 am

hi guys..
wud like to learn if we shd hv all our woods in same swing weights just like we shd for irons. pls enlighten me.. thanks.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 9:33 am

Hi F

Why didn't u ask DGman yesterday?

Ideally, I would like my SWs to match up throughout the set. From Driver to putter.

What woods are u using? The change to diffrent grips will also result in SW changing too so try not to have too drastic of a different style of grip for them.
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:02 am

ic tks..
yesterday golfing day.. just whack balls no work hahhaha..

so its personal prefernce what swing weight u want?

yea.. my woods all over the place from C9-D4..
using R7 limited driver.. R9 4woods..cgb 5 wood n TM raylor hybrid..my irons D1
looks like back to the den for tuning
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:13 am

With swingweight, its actually a fallacy to go light so that its easier to get distance.

Fitters will get u swinging to the heaviest SW u can handle, not the lightest.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:14 am

ok i have 2 versions of explanation - the 1 minute elevator articulation (for executives on the go) and the more detailed 5 minutes version (for the fitting enthusiasts).

One Minute Express info on SW

you got to think of swingweight as a see-saw. on one end is the grip (butt) and on the other is the head (tip). however all the swingweight measuring device use a 1/3 to 2/3 balance point and unlike the see saw, the balance point is 1/3 from the butt. swing weight is basically the major effect for feel and minor influence for accuracy, distance and trajectory.

Five Minute Version on SW

the standard driver's length is 45 inch, the 3 wood 43, the 5 wood 42, the hybrids are replacement for irons and the industry standard is 1 to 1 1/2 inch longer than the replacement irons.

standard head weight for drivers - ladies and childrens specs - 188 to 195 g, men 200g. standard mens fw - 3 wood 210 to 215g, 5 wood - 220 to 225 g.

standard irons length are: 3i - 39, 4i - 38.5, 5i - 38, 6i - 37.5, 7i - 37, 8i - 36.5, 9i - 36, P - 35.75. now head weight is supposed to be 7 grammes incremental going down. meaning if the 7 iron is 268g, the 6 iron should be 261g and the 8 iron 275g. i hope the industry will produce lighter club heads for junior and ladies but its not.

there are 5 factors that influence swingweight - the head weight, shaft weight, grip weight, length and shaft kickpoint. Many people think that having a lighter shaft will give you more swing weight is just a myth. in fact every 9 grammes incremental in shaft weight contributes to gain in swing weight not reduction. so how do manufacturers managed? TM burner 3 w uses a lighter shaft and heavier grip. Maruman employ a longer shaft and use a lighter grip. Get the picture?

first we ask if is there a standard? the answer is no, its all personal and most of it depends on what you buy. extreme example of a 3 wood - TM tour burner is over 220g while the Maruman shuttle is about 200g, so how do we managed the 20g difference? TM burner 3 w uses a lighter shaft and heavier grip. Maruman employ a longer shaft and use a lighter grip. Get the picture?

so when we fit and build clubs, we find the preferred weight of 7 irons and drivers for the golfer. Then we will manage the build-up or build-down in head weight, grip type and weight, shaft type and weight to achieve the desired swing weight for the golfer.

quick evaluation - if the golfer 7 iron is a D2, his 4 irons should be less than D2 (a C9 or D0 will be enough) but his PW iron may be nearer to a D4. if his driver is a D0, his 3 fw should be a tad heavier like a D2. so the shorter the club, the heavier the sw.

there is another thread on shaft type and S70B has some very valid points on the shaft type and their effect on the swing weight of clubs. now the more premium shafts are constant weighted and the kick point of the shafts are varied (lower for the longer irons and higher for the shorter irons) to achieve flighted effects.

Hope i have not bored you francis.....DGman

info without prejudice
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:23 am

hahah tks eric.. very enlightening..
kam sia .. domo arigato... xie xie..
buy u kopi xi siu tai later
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:28 am

lets say that i have only let go 40% of the desired info.....the other 60% is my trade secret....haha

eg. its possible to use a heavier shaft and a lighter swingweight to achieve a fuller swing or vice versa. there are many configuration just like papaya milk - the darned Jimmychoo and his avatar!!!!

DGman
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:33 am

how abt if i throw in 2 kopi xi siu tai n 2 kaya loti? we need more info.. hahhaha
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi eric

i have some questions in mind...need your advise..hope you dnt mind..hehe

SW weight is the function of headweight, shaft length and grip weight, am i right to say so ?

for eg : SW weight will increase is headweight increase, shaft length increase, SW weight will reduce if grip weight increase...is this thought correct ?

So i could not picture in how the shaft weight plays a part in SW weight, can advise me on that ?

As you had mention :

TM tour burner 3 wood used : 220 g headweight + lighter shaft + heavier grip
Maruman shuttle use : 200 g headweight + longer shaft + lighter grip

does this two club come up to be the same Sw weight ?

sorry for so many questions...but this is definitely a very interesting topic and good knowledge learning...

thank you

snowman
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:04 pm

you opening a clubfitting joint...please talk to franchise owner of SFG...the Rage (aka G-man).

MT is the go-between.

DGman
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:09 pm

so Gman is SFG? alamak then i no need go BM so far.. he just 1 street from me.. hahhaa..
he got trackman? (just kidding)
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:29 pm

golf_snowman wrote:

SW weight is the function of headweight, shaft length and grip weight, am i right to say so ?snowman

yes thats right...

golf_snowman wrote:

So i could not picture in how the shaft weight plays a part in SW weight, can advise me on that ? snowman

just think of the see saw but remember that unlike a solid block of wood, the golf shaft is thicker thus heavier at the tip and thinner and lighter at the butt. compare a the shaft is 50g versus a 75g, the swing weight is increased naturally because the tip weight is always going to be heavier incrementally.

golf_snowman wrote:

TM tour burner 3 wood used : 220 g headweight + lighter shaft + heavier grip
Maruman shuttle use : 200 g headweight + longer shaft + lighter grip

does this two club come up to be the same Sw weight ?

snowman

yes if the golfer prefers a say D2 swing weight for both fw, we may have to shorten the TM fw or use a heavier grip or use a lighter shaft or different shaft type (from low kick to mid or higher kick shaft). similarly with the Maruman, we may have to add weight to the club head (head gel or lead pin) or use a very light grip (Golf Pride 40g grip) or even lengthen the club or a combination of the above.

at the same time it is important to be able to fit the fw according to the desired flex by using a frequency analyser. no point doing the above and end up with a super stiff or super flexible shaft...how???

now imagine you have a regular shaft in a 198g driver head. it measures 238 cpm on a 45 inch length and is a regular flex. you change to a new driver head thats 192g. there is a 6g shift in weight and effectively the flex properties change and you now have a 243 cpm driver in the firm flex range. similarly if you change to a head thats heavier, say 204g and you now have a 233 cpm driver thats a soft regular. shaft type will also change in relation to tipping so the above info is not always constant.

it may not affect many, but a sensitive player is able to tell when the cpm is change +/- 2.

so any kopi? Augmon...or cavier with toast?

DGman
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:45 pm

ok kopi on me.. caviar NO stock.. hahhaha.. kaya n butter got stock
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:48 pm

ok since its kaya and butter, its this much for the moment...

i was going to elaborate on MOI swing weighthing and how it works on golfers...but.....next time perhaps when i hear a better offer...haha

DGman
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 1:20 pm

wah lau oi..

ok ok.. 2 half boiled egg.. to sweeten the offer? boleh dato?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 3:02 pm

haha...thanks eric

now i can picture in the factor of shaft weight....great !!

and I have an overall understanding on the relationship between headweight, shaft length, shaft weight and grip weight .....

Let me take up the better offer ..say Copi si sui tai + swiss roll or curry puff..how's that ?

Looking forward to the MOI theory..kekeke

snowman
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 3:35 pm

Wah.. so chim?

If you change swingweight by altering grip weight; Does it give the same "feel"as by altering clubhead weight? The reading will still be the same on the sw scale, but will the golfer feel the same "feel".
e.g is putting 5gm of weight in the grip the same as taking away 5gm of weight from the head?

I would think that golfers are less able to feel a difference in grip weight changes since it's rather in the hands than something that's futher away at the other end of the shaft?
Say I have a light fishing rod; does hanging 5gm at the rod make it feel the same as removing 5gm from the grip area?
Sorry for the noobie questions.. maybe next time I buy payaya milk..
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 4:04 pm

in the swing setup..Grip, alignment, setup and posture, the grip is the first consideration.

there are some golfers who are sensitive to the type of grips. if that is the case, other considerations are always preferred.

SS you are the a qualified clubfitter so stop trying to make me look silly by asking even chimmer question. next time i get you JC papaya milk.

does it give the same feel?...i think only the golfer can answer that...

DGman
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 4:15 pm

wah TSS u qualified club fitter also.. now then u i know..
sry for my impudence.. "got eyes but no see orrr yeee orrr"
no wonder u DIV A
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 4:18 pm

anyway hv a great weekend guys n gals..
time to hang some weight on my fishing rod.
may one n all catch big fish tis weekend.. ciao+
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 4:20 pm

copi + swiss roll or curry puff in den next week....kekeke
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Aiyo, I'm not trying to make anyone look silly.

We're all learning from this great forum. Paper qualifications are nothing but perhaps a mere starting base. Nothing beats experience. DGman,You have the wealth of experience of fitting many golfers from golf pros to high handicappers, so we can learn from your experience mah.. That's why I leave all my clubfitting, club-adjustments to you and your great team at BFG. whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods Icon_biggrin

Different golfers have different "feel capabilites" and I was just wondering if other of the GR forumers could feel a difference in SW.

Cheers! whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods Icon_albino
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods   whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n  Fwoods I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

whats the ideal Swing weights for Drivers n Fwoods
Page 1 of 1