Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method

Go down 
+15
DRGjr72
Turbo
Happy Feet
pushslice
gnorij
Slicer51
costajos
michaelcheah
dodi101
golfjunkie
TourSwing
jamezponk
angyongshen
mattpro0796
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method Empty
PostSubject: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey Guys,

I'd like to open a discussion and explain the key benefits to a RIGHT SIDED SWING (RSS)......

There seems to be much confusion on this forum regarding the RSS:

****Its not a powerful swing!!

****You have to be strong to swing in RSS motion

****Women Can't do it

****It's too confusing

**** Its a Stack n Tilt motion

etc etc etc

Over the next few weeks I'm willing to answer any questions regarding the RSS that you may have. So please post your questions here and I'll answer in due course.

I'll answer your questions and try and upload some relevant video footage if necessary.

BUT PLEASE - serious golfers only please ***NO JOKERS** Jokers will not be answered!!!! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://academyofgolf.com.sg
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 5:17 pm

Part 1

Right Sided Golf Swing

The Right Sided Golf Swing is simple, repeatable, powerful and proven successful. As a Senior Instructor of the method I find the basic principles undoubtedly the best in the world of golf today.

In the below information I will offer a brief insight into the key ideas and concepts which make the Right Sided Swing so popular worldwide amongst touring professional and beginners alike. As seen in this website, Rod Pampling has taken our swing method to new heights being a multiple winner on the Australian tour and the highest golfing stage in the world the US Tour. Rod Pampling has a golf swing which looks simple yet powerful and has many world class players and commentators asking the question of... 'How can it be this simple?

It really can be this simple if your swing 'starts' in the correct position then turns correctly in the right direction to allow the arms and club to remain in a consistent radius from the body.

All Gary Edwin 'Right Sided Swing' instructors are qualified to reconstruct a golf swing to eliminate all wrong moves. As the Golf swing is built on a series on sequential moves, how is it that some 'instructors' can give small tips to improve a golf swing?
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Was trying it out at the range, from what I gathered online. It seems like there is less hip rotation and my general trajectory resulted in a hook. Previously, I was under the impression that the hidden "power" of a swing is hidden in the core + hip rotation, is this the same for RSS. I have been told that I am using too much hands (baseball swing) by a fitter, which I have since tried to correct to improve consistency.

Recently, I was introduced to the RSS and I am exploring the idea of adopting this swing as it promises repeatability = consistency. But I am curious and would like to know how/where to generate more force for this swing?

For this swing, which are muscle groups (fast twitch) that are more activated that allows me to impart more force to generate more headspeed?

Sorry for having too many questions, still new to the game(9-10mths) and constantly seeking to improve my game. Swing
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi there,

The hips and legs do play a role in the RSS, but generally the common mistakes are straightening of the right leg which they think is a turn and some get totally blocked with the lower half thinking it shouldn't turn which causes their top half to turn too much.

If the hips don't turn the shoulders cannot turn in the correct direction, we get people to set up in the "shape" and the turn really comes from the groin area with the left leg slightly coming out this helps the shoulders to stay "on the wall" as they turn.

Generally the hook that your creating is the restriction from the hips. In not allowing the hips to turn and flipping the club through impact with incorrect wrist angles will cause your hook.

With the turn in our swing the core stays in the centre allowing us to coil properly and speed comes from the arms. Core staying centered + arm speed = Force

Hope that clears up a little.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Okay thanks for the tips. Will take note of my right leg and clearance of the hip on my next practice session.

Will be back with more questions. Embarassed

Regards
Back to top Go down
jamezponk
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 7:33 pm

I am right sided thanks to Paul! Best part of this swing is short game and 100 m in. All in the setup Smile
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Coach , who in your opinion has a model RSS swing? I would like to take a look ... Thks
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 10:14 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Coach , who in your opinion has a model RSS swing? I would like to take a look ... Thks

IMO, TourSwing.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 10:23 pm

2008 wrote:
TourSwing wrote:

IMO, TourSwing.

Uhhh, you wont be saying the same after our monday game ... To much idle time = too much tinkering ... Anyways Topic OFF
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 11:06 pm

Many of our players include:

Rod Pampling
Brad Lamb
Scott Barr
Michael Campbell
Felipe Aguilar

Although all the players are coached using the RSS method, to an untrained eye they seem very different. However, you will find that they all approach the ball from the same shallow angle and they share similar wrist angles at impact.
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 pm

A common misconception of the RSS is that's it's purely a "tour swing"???

There are many weird and wonderful swings on your and they clearly work, most notably is Tommy "two gloves" he's a proven winner. Although hes not an RSS ambassador you don't have to be a tour player to try RSS!!!

Most of you will be interested to hear that most of Singapores top amateur golfers are RSS

most notably:

Edgar Oh
Marc Ong
Koh Sock Whee
Princeton Yeo

All of these fine young players are national squad members
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 am

Here's a good video for you all that are not familiar with the RSS

Thanks
Back to top Go down
golfjunkie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
golfjunkie

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi mattpro, thanks very much for sharing. The RSS is very intriguing in that it looks like a very simple and efficient swing. I have just 2 questions.

1. Will the RSS lose out in terms of distance as compared to a golf swing that has a wider takeaway? the general view seems to be that the most powerful golf swing is one that is wide-narrow-wide. ie wide on take away, narrow on downswing, and wide on follow through. The RSS seems to be narrow all the way. Whilst this will probably increase consistency, i'm wondering if it gives some distance away.

2. Are golfers (esp beginners) who use the RSS more susceptible to right elbow pain / injuries? I ask this because it seems that the downswing has to be very 'snappy' in order to create clubhead speed. A snappy swing + fat shots on a driving range mat = sore elbow?

Thanks in advance for taking time to answer my questions.
Back to top Go down
dodi101
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dodi101

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Thumbs up for RSS ! Cheers !
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Golf Junkie,

As RSS coaches we often get the same question - Will RSS method cost me distance?

Yes a wide arc in the backswing will generate speed because the club can travel further. But the RSS is still a wide swing. Only the radius of the hands and arms are kept at the desired radius throughout the swing which makes it look narrow. We've experienced increased distance with our students because they are able to to generate more store up (Lag) in the downswing as a wide swing arc can sometimes cause the dreaded "casting" of the club. Couple this with the direction of the shoulders and wrist angles - this creates proper compression and true loft = more distance.

The right elbow provides a supporting role in the RSS and just lifts in front of the body in the backswing. The RSS downswing is shallower and shot not create "fat" shots. We've never experienced elbow pain with our students.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Here's a great video from the "GURU" himself explaining store up.

Good video to see and to explain the benefits of the correct radius and shoulder direction in the swing.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
jamezponk
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm

golfjunkie wrote:
Hi mattpro, thanks very much for sharing. The RSS is very intriguing in that it looks like a very simple and efficient swing. I have just 2 questions.

1. Will the RSS lose out in terms of distance as compared to a golf swing that has a wider takeaway? the general view seems to be that the most powerful golf swing is one that is wide-narrow-wide. ie wide on take away, narrow on downswing, and wide on follow through. The RSS seems to be narrow all the way. Whilst this will probably increase consistency, i'm wondering if it gives some distance away.

2. Are golfers (esp beginners) who use the RSS more susceptible to right elbow pain / injuries? I ask this because it seems that the downswing has to be very 'snappy' in order to create clubhead speed. A snappy swing + fat shots on a driving range mat = sore elbow?

Thanks in advance for taking time to answer my questions.

Hi Golfjunkie and Matty,

allow me to share from my experience and my knowledge of the RSS

1) RSS stems from a good setup with the reverse K and also the spine angle of the body staying the same throughout the upswing and throughswing. If from what you say, it improves and promotes consistency from swing after swing, the impact on the golf ball becomes similar and more impactful, you will hit the sweet or what I like to call it G spot of the clubface squarely, which will easily give u another 5 to 10 yards to your 7 iron. Because when u are impacting the ball, is the same position you set up with,there is little deviation to a consistent ball flight and even greater distance.

The sweeter impact promotes distance, the stable spine angle, promotes confidence in giving more speed with the arms ( which works for me ) which gives power and mostly importantly control to the distance u wish to hit to. Pamps would practise hitting 5 irons to 100 metres with two checks of the ball and stop the ball immediately. cheers

Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Lol "G" spot of the clubface - made my day reading that!!!

But what you've just outlined is spot on. Your understanding is good.

Were you a previous student of Paul Tudor?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 12:56 pm

I'll be posting my own videos soon - once I get time

I will also be running a weekly competition for a FREE full video analysis golf lesson.

Thanks guys for your engaging questions.

Thanks all

Mattpro
Back to top Go down
jamezponk
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 12:57 pm

Yeah was with Paul when he was in Sg. Seeing Chris now.

Matty, good to have you around =) Rss saved my short game.

Oh ya GolfJunkie, fat shots stems down the dipping of the shoulders during the rotation or the turn which forces a counterbalance action of having to lift up the club upon impact which causes all sorts of shit except to hit the ball cleanly. One of the reasons at least.

Surprised
Back to top Go down
michaelcheah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
michaelcheah

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi Mattpro, am interested to learn more about RSS ... am a 5 HC looking for more consistency ... I have been fighting hooks from my driver for awhile now ...

Just a few questions that hopefully you can help clarify.
1: Do you maintain constant weight on the left from address?
2: Is the right arm tug close to the body at backswing?
3: At release, do you throw the club out or hold and swing left?
4: I noticed most of the students (at least from youtube) finish the swing high with little weight transfer, is this right?

Thanks yah ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi Michaelcheah,

I hope these answers help:

1. The weight is evenly distributed between both feet, we set-up with the hips more forward which gives the illusion of the weight focused on the left foot.

2. The right arm folds sooner in our swing but is never "tugged closer" it remains at the ideal radius.

3. we neither "throw the club" or "hold and swing left" at impact. The right wrist angle is maintained with a "body release" action.

4. The shaft plane at exit is higher but the arm plane is lower. There is a weight shift in the RSS just in a different direction to the traditional method.
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm doing a promotion for new clients throughout december:

"FREE" 1/2HR swing analysis - should any of you require more explanation regarding your swing to our RSS models please feel free to contact me here or on 82845461.

Thanks
Guys
Back to top Go down
michaelcheah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
michaelcheah

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks mattpro ... will try it out at the range today ... will feedback the out come ...
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Setup

The preeminent aspect of the right sided golf swing is the distinction of the body angles at setup. Observers will notice the right sided golfer in a position at address not dissimilar to the position created at impact.

The idea behind this position is to create minimal and repeatable movements to generate power and most importantly for golf, consistency. If a golfer can lessen his need to sway, rotate, shift in unmeasurable amounts then he can repeat this action even under pressure.

At the correct address position a golfer under instruction of the right sided swing will resemble a reverse letter K. In difference to the traditional methods which are in a neutral position.

This reverse K will allow the spine to be tilted away from the target whilst shoulders and hips become parallel to create a correct direction of turn in the sequence of the backswing.

The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method Shape-12

Last edited by mattpro0796 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method   The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Right Sided Swing Explained - Gary Edwin Coaching Method
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next