Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does Slowing Down Really Help?

Go down 
+11
Bear
steven_koh
S70B
asahi
haragolfer
scottycollector
Slicer51
blee67
nutty88
botak
Derek
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Does Slowing Down Really Help? Empty
PostSubject: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi all, not sure how many off you are facing this as well, but I just had 3 games in a row whereby I could not control my driver at all. Average 7-10 OB per game, and I can't recall the last time I went through 2 dozen new balls (OUCH!!!!!) so quickly. 3 games and 2 of them broke 100 in the wrong direction.

Almost all of them came from big pull-hooks which started left and curved further left, the other 1 or 2 came from HUGE push-slices when i tried to correct for the pull hook by turning my lower body more quickly.

The most common advice given when the driver is out of whack is to 1) slow down your swing or 2) make a smoother swing

When I tried to apply it to myself, I ended up pulling the ball left even more

Went to the driving range a couple of times and thought I resolved it, but 2 nights ago, the nightmare returned. First half of session ok, 2nd half, completely screwed ...

When I try to slow down, pull left (ok i know i was just using upper body), so ...

I slow down and use lower body, duff the bloody driver, hitting the ground before the ball

However, aside from me bitching and whining about the state of my game, I had a spell sort of in the middle of my session whereby I felt I was making uninhibited and committed swings, and I was hitting the sweet spot and with a great shot shape (moderate draw starting right and coming back to center) and great distance (for me).

The saddest thing is that after tempting me with the promised land of great driving, everything just disappeared!

If this continues, I am definitely headed into Weak 18 Hcp territory ....
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Which range did you go to?
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 pm

If you are using your lower body to initiate the downswing, which is the right thing to do, try pushing your hips towards the target and not rotating it.

Oh hell, what do I know? Go see a pro. Wink
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:48 pm

I started at KLGCC, but very disappointed, pay premium but get lousy used balls

Recently been going to Golf Zon, opened by a Korean Couple, some off Jalan Segambut

i.e. From Jalan Kiara 3, go through Segambut Dalam, all the way to the end, T-Junction turn left .. where do u normally go?

New mats, new balls (MYR10 for 100 balls) and really nice water melon juice at MYR5 for a HUGE glass
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Bro, if you are still using the same driver as the one I have, it is a set up issue. I had the same problem and then adjust the set up at address to more centre....
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Tropicana, since I'm at Kelana Jaya
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:50 pm

Derek wrote:
I started at KLGCC, but very disappointed, pay premium but get lousy used balls

Recently been going to Golf Zon, opened by a Korean Couple, some off Jalan Segambut

i.e. From Jalan Kiara 3, go through Segambut Dalam, all the way to the end, T-Junction turn left .. where do u normally go?

New mats, new balls (MYR10 for 100 balls) and really nice water melon juice at MYR5 for a HUGE glass

What are you doing drinking water melon juice? Thot you are a beer man? Beer

Maybe that could be the reason.... ROFL
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:55 pm

blee wrote:
Bro, if you are still using the same driver as the one I have, it is a set up issue. I had the same problem and then adjust the set up at address to more centre....

Guess I'll try that ... but when I put it toward left foot and things worked, really BOMBED the freaking ball ... don't think I've ever hit a Driver that far before ... did it for about 8-10 balls then everything freaking disappeared ... *cry* Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 6:06 pm

I tried that too... after a while, the results is the same as yours.... so now i try to address is more towards the centre but also not to cock the wrist as much too...
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Bro Derek,

Sorry to hear about your driver. I guess it is just one of those period of time when all swings gone " hey wire ".

Since I am not good enough to advise but just wish that you get back your swing soon ... I was told it have everything to do with the club face and swing path during impact... Good luck !
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Hey Derek I think it's just a phase thing. I went through the exact same thing about 1 or 2 months ago. I was hitting an average of 10 out of 14 fairways regularly. Then suddenly i hit a patch when my driver just went crazy and it was almost impossible to hit a fairway. My scores also became really ugly since the second shot was either from an OB or a recovery out of an awkward lie. This happened for about 3 or 4 games in a row.

What i did to try and resolve the problem was to shorten my driver. As I was using a R11s driver, I simply put on my r11 4wood shaft onto my driver. This didn't immediately solve my problem as I was still hitting shitty drives. But it did make it slightly better. I went on doing this for another 3 to 4 games, and slowly saw my driving consistency, and with it, my confidence, coming back. When I was finally hitting my short driver consistently again, I then went back to my driver shaft. I'm happy to say that, at least for now, my driver is not driving me crazy anymore.

Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Derek. I fight apull too. I solved it by trying to block it right. Really. More weight left leg. Oh and slowing down does not work. Not in my case.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Bro, you need to chill.

Just a phase lah.....stay off practicing driver at the range.....

And oh, have more beer!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Its time to get rid of the black and ugly driver.

Lots of great offerings in 2013.
Back to top Go down
steven_koh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
steven_koh

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 pm

I try slow up n fast down by using my left hand to drag the club down...it work in me..
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 pm

S70B has a point though poisonous.

913 lah, Fit Extreme, Nike Covert......etc.....
Back to top Go down
Bear
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm a beginner...but seriously, slow up and easy down works for me!

I saw somewhere...the longer the club the slower the tempo. I tried..and I'm a believer now.

Oh well....just my 1000rupiahs worth...

Back to top Go down
http://www.website.co.jp
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 12:07 am

Thanks for the input people! Suffice to say I will try them all, sequentially of course, and we'll see what happens. Keep u guys posted.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 9:14 am

yeah, i'm doing the slow up and fast down and it works for me.
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Slowing a swing down does help your timing - BUT you're still slowing down the same poor swing!

Doesn't really work in my opinion
Back to top Go down
http://academyofgolf.com.sg
alvin432
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 12:15 pm

When I slow down, I hit it worse and also shorter. I tend to go the other way and swing harder and faster but I guess it depends on what your swing fault is. Go see a pro!
Alvin
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 pm

If you want to generate speed, rotate your lower torso fast thru impact. No use to use your arms ... Your arms and wrist should stay loose at all time during the swing.

Observe Michelle Wie's lower torso (no pun intended Laughing ) as she swung thru the impact area! Awesome speed was generated!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Slowing Down Really Help?   Does Slowing Down Really Help? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does Slowing Down Really Help?
Page 1 of 1