Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The elusive EAGLE

Go down 
+15
Birdman
Technospaz
Suzuki
shamusan
S70B
Slicer51
skybobo
Lee36328
Derek
slinger
Khorkar
DRGjr72
TourSwing
pocketace
beehome
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 pm

hi all,

I have yet to get an eagle after 5 years of golfing. Calling all bros tt had eagles before, any tips, technique, secrets & etc.............

Who knows, maybe after this thread I might get eagle. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Think I played more than 10 years already...
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 9:40 pm

These past couple of weeks, one friend of mine putted in from gimme length for eagle ... another holed out from 100m ... Keep at it ... Who knows you may get two in quick succession!!!

Personally, it would be nice to eagle or get a HIO, but it doesnt bother me much ... I just want to shoot low scores and beat the competition!
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Some of it is luck, some of it skill....Sometimes it is combination of both.

Short Par 4's, Short Par 5's are the easiest for me. Since I have never had a hole in one, I would target those areas and be as aggressive as you can within your ability. You have a better chance of holing out, chipping or pitching in, or making a putt the closer you are to the hole.

Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 9:48 pm

My 1st time in the green... my 1st time to have an eagle...pure freak luck. After that, couldnt even smell a par. Just for me it pure luck and no skills.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 9:53 pm

thanks guys for the feedback & encouragement. I will definitely keep at it, no doubt abt tt.

Currently working on my drives. I agree tt the short par 4s are the most likely holes tt i will get an eagle.

Pls keep it coming...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 10:06 pm

beehome...

take for example hole 6 kranji (par5)....

if u play off white n u a long hitter, u would have cleared the fw bunkers with abt 180-200 to the green, u have 2 options...

1) go for the green in 2 n putt for eagle

2) aim for the left greenside bunker (take a club down) with a hybrid or long iron n take the right hazard out of play, from there, your 3rd shot will be a 10-30m chip to the pin from a nice chipping area...... if u try hard enough, u gonna make an eagle 1 of these days

Last edited by slinger on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi Beehome, for those of us that can't reach Par 5s in 2 shots, it really has a lot to do with luck.

My only eagle is at Marina Bay Hole 4, where after 2 great shots I pitched in from about 30m away. Watching the ball roll towards the hole, then hit the flagstick and go in was a great feeling.

Strangely enough, it came at a time where I had given up hope on trying to get an Eagle.

Keep playing and enjoying the game, it will come someday, and even if it doesn't, golf is still great fun right?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Very good pointers above.

Just to point out, technically, does not have to be par 5. Par 4 also can eagle. Esp a shorter par 4.

Requires an accurate iron approach (which implies a long and accurate tee shot helps too.) And a lot of luck. My luck came after 2 yr plus of golfing, pure luck, no talent on my part.

Goes without saying, par 3 also can, except obviously it's called HIO. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 12:26 am

slinger wrote:
beehome...

if u play off white n u a long hitter, u would have cleared the fw bunkers with abt 180-200 to the green, u have 2 options...

2) aim for the left greenside bunker (take a club down) with a hybrid or long iron n take the right hazard out of play, from there, your 3rd shot will be a 10-30m chip to the pin from a nice chipping area...... if u try hard enough, u gonna make an eagle 1 of these days

why u never tell me this?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 12:28 am

beehome wrote:
hi all,

I have yet to get an eagle after 5 years of golfing. Calling all bros tt had eagles before, any tips, technique, secrets & etc.............

Who knows, maybe after this thread I might get eagle. Thanks.

Hi Beehome,

My only eagle just happened on Aug 11, 2012 this year in a par 5 Graha golf course. Hit my 3rd shots from 82 meter (using ranger finder of course) up hill to pin The ball landed right of the pin and I saw it roll and disappeared. I though it went down the green slope.

My golf kaki and all the caddies was screaming " eagle, eagle ". Interesting that I was no existed at all even when I took the ball out from the hole. I only got existed when I was standing in the next hole about to tee off as I have the honor and was thinking " wow, I just got a eagle ".

What happenned, I do not know. It is just lucky for me.

Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 3:42 am

I think you shdn't put too much thought into this. Most eagles for amateurs happen when the 'stars align' and you hit 2 or 3 great shots in a row.

If you want to improve your odds, just play off white or fwd tees more. Makes those par 5s more reachable and your approaches into the green shorter with your 'tan jiak' clubs.

Have played this game 20+yr and like DRG, yet to have a HIO.

However, I have had like 7-8 eagles. Some from par 5s, some from par 4s, most by pure luck....but I dun mind trading a couple for a HIO though.

Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 4:28 am

yes i agree with S70B, playing from white tees should help...

but luck is a big factor in getting an eagle, a great drive would most certainly help too
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 5:09 am

You can try palm villa palm course, there is a short par 5 only 420m off blue tee. You can get it on by 2 to have an egle putt.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 7:48 am

Closest I got to was almost holing out from the greenside bunker on a Par 5. Left with a foot for the birdie. Since then, it's been as elusive as winning the lottery.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 9:38 am

S70B wrote:
I think you shdn't put too much thought into this. Most eagles for amateurs happen when the 'stars align' and you hit 2 or 3 great shots in a row.

If you want to improve your odds, just play off white or fwd tees more. Makes those par 5s more reachable and your approaches into the green shorter with your 'tan jiak' clubs.

Have played this game 20+yr and like DRG, yet to have a HIO.

However, I have had like 7-8 eagles. Some from par 5s, some from par 4s, most by pure luck....but I dun mind trading a couple for a HIO though.

Very interesting thoughts coming from S70B and Shamusan that struck a chord with me, considering that both pound the ball a long way and shoot in the 70s.

I on the other hand barely hit my drive past 200m and don't shoot in the 70s. Even less of a chance for me to get an eagle, and I've never entertained the thought ever. Still I made one, and it came after a great drive off white tees that crested the slope and rolled down for a chance at a mid iron into an elevated green over water. My only thought was to make the green, I did. The resulting putt was almost an impossibility, a severe uphill breaking putt to a hole at the peak of a slope. Anything less than half a putter length past the hole and I would have to wave bye bye. I was only thinking to lag it close to get my birdie and somehow the putt managed to make it on the very last roll via the side door. My first and only eagle (with my new ZEN by the way.. haha...).

The reason for the entire account of the eagle is that it illustrates perfectly what S70B mentioned. For the rest of us mere mortals (besides S70B and Shamusan) who are mid handicappers and above, it is even more so an element of luck (the right kick of the ball that gets you to a favourable position), and skill (managing to string more than one great shot together, perhaps some luck needed here too).

Even after that giddy episode, I still don't think of eagles, if it happens, it happens. Can't force it.

One thing I can say, is that putting for eagle is very satisfying. Glad I had that one opportunity to experience it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 11:10 am

I dun hit the ball that far dude. Just good enuff to get better chances. Sham mebbe but me def not long.

But to add on, only 2 eagles were made which were good putts. The rest were hole-outs from fw, pitch-ins and chip-ins.

Thats why my fav club is always my wedge.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 1:12 pm

wow! thanks everyone. Very interesting & encouraging.

hmmmm.......i must play from white more often.

@slinger - tt hole I always haolian. using 3W n go into water, forget about birdie not to mention eagle. OK, will take ur advice next time.

@suzuki - hv not played Palm Resort for a long time. Maybe time to go.

Thanks again guys! Have a good weekend cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Possible eagle holes which I've seen:

1. OCC Aranda 4th (Par 5). Meia scored his here. Witnessed it with my own eyes. Then had to open wallet to pay Smile
2. Ponderosa 6th (Par 5). A good drive should get you about 150m to the green. Mloy has 2-on'd here before.

Of course, I'm playing off whites to do bear that in mind Smile
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 2:17 pm

skybobo wrote:
slinger wrote:
beehome...

why u never tell me this?
\

play level i will tell u.....

ask me for 5-5, how to TELL u.....

ROFL ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 2:24 pm

beehome wrote:
wow! thanks everyone. Very interesting & encouraging.

hmmmm.......i must play from white more often.

@slinger - tt hole I always haolian. using 3W n go into water, forget about birdie not to mention eagle. OK, will take ur advice next time.

@suzuki - hv not played Palm Resort for a long time. Maybe time to go.

Thanks again guys! Have a good weekend cheers

all the best....

btw, suzuki-san is the reigning eagle champion....

every 2-3 rounds sure got eagle come back wan....

u can jio him, he also play wkday at nsrcc...
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 6:57 pm

really ah? this i wanna see... maybe have an eagle challenge...

i haven't have an eagle since....

....this morning....

just joking...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 11:03 pm

My Arch-nemisis told me once... only people with skill can get HIO but people with no skill but luck can get HIO.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Just eagled two par 5s at Tmcc garden this morning . It is possible with good putts people, don't lose hope

Hope it helps
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 1:58 pm

@bangla - wah lau eh! very envious leh.

@techno - tq. so the key is to play from White.

this thread has given me more confidence. Like most bros said, I will not think too much of it. if it comes, it comes. I will still enjoy my game. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The elusive EAGLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: The elusive EAGLE   The elusive EAGLE I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The elusive EAGLE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next