Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wedges - heavier or lighter?

Go down 
+8
Bangla123
shamusan
odyssey23
davis.suliman
and68low
essentiale
s-killer
scottycollector
12 posters
AuthorMessage
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

Wedges - heavier or lighter?  Empty
PostSubject: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Hello, I've been playing 'heavier' wedges cos i find that they give me better control. However, I'm seriously tempted by the Big Fish wedges which look so good, but which I believe (based on what i've read on this forum) are on the 'lighter' side (correct me if i'm wrong. I've yet to try them out at the den).

Anyway, what are your views? I know that different things work for different ppl, but generally speaking, which do u think is better when it comes to wedges?

I'm asking because I'm in 2 minds about whether or not to make the switch.

Thanks guys!

Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 2:59 pm

yes, me too .... considering whether to jump ship .... Razz
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 pm

does the wedge heads differ so much in weight? thought the bigger change in weight would be dependent on the type of shafts.. was using DG spinner with MPR12 but it got stolen.. now using Nike VR PRO with S400 shafts, i feel better control to be honest.. plus the wedge rocks the socks off the mizunos
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:15 pm

No leh .... My Bigfish wedges weigh the same as my Cally and vokey. Standard BFG wedge weight is around the 300g range while the J's are 10g lighter.
Back to top Go down
davis.suliman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 pm

I tried different setup as well thinking that by changing to regular shaft from X or stiff will get me better spin, it turns out i lose the feel on the wedges to be honest.

about the weight i think all are about the same, for me personally most important i look is the bounce and thin-ness of the leading edge to help 'cut' the ground

Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Just go down and try. Nothing beats trying them on your own. Bring your own wedges to compare the feel.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:46 pm

personally, i like heavier wedges... that being said, i do not think that FG would produce lighter wedges...

also, i find tht it is the swing weight, not the overall weight that counts...

i used to use DG tour issue x100s in my irons and wedges (these are 135g) and have now changed to PXi 6.5 (these are 117g) DGman helped me maintain the same swing weight as before and i'm experiencing no loss of feel or control but i'm getting more distance off full shots
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Depends how smooth your swing is, your preference to swing weight. I personally use lighter clubs . Swing weight Is very individual. Try not to factor in distance as a consideration for your your wedges , creating repeatable accurate shots is obviously more important
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Most of the thai pros i work with use an overall lighter weight for wedges. its the same for most pros on the circuit, they all prefer lighter putters.

so what it means is whatever you can control better but most people rely on a feel that they are used to. all it takes is a few outings where you will be totally confused by the weight but it will come and the rewards may be better than you have imagined.

i have used different shafts from the DG to the DG spinners to the FST to the KBS and for me, the best control is a lighter overall weight and a D3 to D4 SW.

but like most changes, it will take time for you to get used to it but the benefit of performance will out weight the habit of feel.

hope it helps.........DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 8:31 am

what i realise from using a heavier wedge is that i cant control my power. i tend to overhit. now i'm using a lighter wedge to adjust my distance
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 9:08 am

Actually it voice dwn to individual. Cool
I m ok w wedges weight fm Vokey, Calla, TM bt somehow find Mizuno heavier! Wink
Back to top Go down
jloo61
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 1:39 am

hi hi guys. lighter or heavier, it depends on what ur swing type. as long as the shaft is not lighter then about 105gm, u will feels. my tots is just get the shaft as stiff as possiable. so it would be more stable.
try and get ur wedges shaft to a flat line osilation, it will help.
even i am using a KBS tour 90 shaft on my irons but i use a S400 DG on my wedges. is only a half swing on them, so is ok to be abit heavier just get ir stiffer is fine.
Remember to use a forged head for ur wedges and u will get good feel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wedges - heavier or lighter?    Wedges - heavier or lighter?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wedges - heavier or lighter?
Page 1 of 1