Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newbie here!

Go down 
+12
senior golfer soon
Technospaz
Master
sunny
escyb
enwee
jeffman88
pippin
Slicer51
jhan18
guangzhao
excursive
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to take up golf.. Any places to recommend? I know very little about golf but I'm ready to learn!

Thanks... and be nice, please? Smile
Back to top Go down
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi! Welcome to GR...

Go get some good lessons - there are some pros which are on the forum, you can look for them. Notably, there's jhan and shorthitter who are quite popular.

What places are you looking for? Places to learn or places to golf?
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi buddy welcome to GR ! Do drop a PM if you'd like to find out more about golf lessons! Cheers
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 7:13 pm

excursive wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to take up golf.. Any places to recommend? I know very little about golf but I'm ready to learn!

Thanks... and be nice, please? Smile

Yes, pro jhan18 will be one of the best that you can take lesson from but if it is location issue. There were more pro contact & information here

http://www.golfrepublic.org/g3-golf-professionals

Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Welcome to gr ... If u stay in the west ... Ronald Heng is a gd coach at bukit batok range ...

I'm nice Smile
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 8:05 pm

hi excursive welcome welcome welcome to the Republic... depending on where u live, find the nearest range and check out the coaches there
Back to top Go down
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for your warm response! I am looking for beginner stuff.. I reside in the North, but I'm still ok with going to the east to learn. I do know of a range at Sin Ming but I'm not sure if the facilities and rates are decent.

Also, could I find out what is the going rate for 1-on-1 lessons?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 9:11 pm

excursive wrote:
Hey everyone, thanks for your warm response! I am looking for beginner stuff.. I reside in the North, but I'm still ok with going to the east to learn. I do know of a range at Sin Ming but I'm not sure if the facilities and rates are decent.

1 for 1 is normally between 80-100 per hour. North? got OCC, Mandai, Seletar, Punggol
Back to top Go down
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 11:28 pm

enwee wrote:
excursive wrote:

1 for 1 is normally between 80-100 per hour. North? got OCC, Mandai, Seletar, Punggol

Ah, I see! I will look around. Seletar and Punggol sounds nearer for me. And PM jhan18 once I can. How many posts must I post before I can PM people?
Back to top Go down
escyb
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
escyb

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Ah, I see! I will look around. Seletar and Punggol sounds nearer for me. And PM jhan18 once I can. How many posts must I post before I can PM people?

If u drop by punggol, join up wif the 'PGA' group...search for punggol golf association. Welcome welcome to golf republic.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 12:40 am

excursive wrote:

Need 5 posts. You are almost there
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:01 am

excursive wrote:
enwee wrote:
excursive wrote:

Ah, I see! I will look around. Seletar and Punggol sounds nearer for me. And PM jhan18 once I can. How many posts must I post before I can PM peopl?

Why don't you just give him a call/SMS?
Back to top Go down
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:05 am

Master wrote:
excursive wrote:
enwee wrote:
excursive wrote:

Ah, I see! I will look around. Seletar and Punggol sounds nearer for me. And PM jhan18 once I can. How many posts must I post before I can PM peopl?

Why don't you just give him a call/SMS?

I just saw his contact and email in his signature. Heh, thanks a lot..
Back to top Go down
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:15 am

By the way guys, what's the learning journey like? How many lessons should I be prepared to take to golf on my own? Think I need a lot of guidance here. :/
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am

excursive wrote:
By the way guys, what's the learning journey like? How many lessons should I be prepared to take to golf on my own? Think I need a lot of guidance here. :/
Normally beginner package is 10 lessons.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:26 am

excursive wrote:

Good question. You'd be happy to know that coaching can be a lifelong thing. Most pros still have coaches notwithstanding that they are at the peak of the game.

For the casual golfer, I'd leave this to your coach to decide when you are ready to take on the course. When I started, I think I went through a good 12 or so sessions before my coach said that I could try a 9-hole round. I then went on for another 10+ sessions (with repeat sessions after that). But that was many many many moons ago.

I know golfers who are also very talented and can do without coaching (or with minimal coaching).

So, it's an individual thing and best assessed by your coach. The point is, get coaching. It's a good way to start loving the game Smile Good luck!
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:37 am

Technospaz wrote:
excursive wrote:

Good question. You'd be happy to know that coaching can be a lifelong thing. Most pros still have coaches notwithstanding that they are at the peak of the game.

For the casual golfer, I'd leave this to your coach to decide when you are ready to take on the course. When I started, I think I went through a good 12 or so sessions before my coach said that I could try a 9-hole round. I then went on for another 10+ sessions (with repeat sessions after that). But that was many many many moons ago.

I know golfers who are also very talented and can do without coaching (or with minimal coaching).

So, it's an individual thing and best assessed by your coach. The point is, get coaching. It's a good way to start loving the game Smile Good luck!

@excursive take this as general guide only.. agree w what bro TS has said ... it depends on how fast u can pick up the elusive decent golf swing, and how much talent and motivation/ interest/ passion u hv plus time management of ur schedule...all assuming u hv the mullah to bankroll everything of course Smile

Basic Lessons: 8-12 lessons pkg of 1 hr / session
Then followed by Proficiency Test w Coach
After getting the PC, give urself some time to go and play the game on course and collect 5 scorecards or until u r ready for the Handicap Test... this one anywhere bt 1 month -1 year Smile Do regular range ball practices or exec 9-holescourse practice

After got HCP (like Driver License) depends on how many times u play per month..
Here is where u decide if u wanna buy a car or rent one or take public tpt ... club membership is expensive, term membership is relatively cheaper.. some of us r non-members and pay and play whenever n wherever our fancy take us...
Back to top Go down
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 am

jeffman88 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
excursive wrote:

@excursive take this as general guide only.. agree w what bro TS has said ... it depends on how fast u can pick up the elusive decent golf swing, and how much talent and motivation/ interest/ passion u hv plus time management of ur schedule...all assuming u hv the mullah to bankroll everything of course Smile

After getting the PC, give urself some time to go and play the game on course and collect 5 scorecards or until u r ready for the Handicap Test... this one anywhere bt 1 month -1 year Smile Do regular range ball practices or exec 9-holescourse practice

After got HCP (like Driver License) depends on how many times u play per month..
Here is where u decide if u wanna buy a car or rent one or take public tpt ... club membership is expensive, term membership is relatively cheaper.. some of us r non-members and pay and play whenever n wherever our fancy take us...

You two have been really helpful, that's some info to digest.. Is it common for people to learn on their own/without friends? Or they just make new ones along the way? Hahah
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:26 am

excursive wrote:
jeffman88 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
excursive wrote:

You two have been really helpful, that's some info to digest.. Is it common for people to learn on their own/without friends? Or they just make new ones along the way? Hahah
It's possible but not advisable.
Back to top Go down
senior golfer soon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Welcome excursive

Yes, best is still get a professional help to build up a sound foundation. You can always supplement with tips and instructions from golf magazines, golf self taught book and online video. But they can never replace a good instructor that can point to your mistakes and make instant correction or drill.

Happy golfing
Back to top Go down
Bubbly
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Bubbly

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Welcome excursive! I agree with the others - go for lessons for the fundamental, then practice and do self reading. I'm also learning along the way... still trying to correct my swing...
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Welcome Excursive! When ur not taking lessons u can view swing videos on YouTube. Can't remember any offhand to recommend but it helps the learning process. Useful to find tips on chipping / pitch shots there too. Some of these welcome threads do have useful youtube links in them. Go figure!

Annndd Welcome to GR!
Back to top Go down
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 am

senior golfer soon wrote:
Welcome excursive

Yes, best is still get a professional help to build up a sound foundation. You can always supplement with tips and instructions from golf magazines, golf self taught book and online video. But they can never replace a good instructor that can point to your mistakes and make instant correction or drill.

Happy golfing

Thanks for the advice! Gonna put a lot of hard work into starting my lessons next month Smile
Back to top Go down
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 am

Bubbly wrote:
Welcome excursive! I agree with the others - go for lessons for the fundamental, then practice and do self reading. I'm also learning along the way... still trying to correct my swing...

Thank you, thank you. Will do!
Back to top Go down
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 10:48 am

joshyo wrote:
Welcome Excursive! When ur not taking lessons u can view swing videos on YouTube. Can't remember any offhand to recommend but it helps the learning process. Useful to find tips on chipping / pitch shots there too. Some of these welcome threads do have useful youtube links in them. Go figure!

Annndd Welcome to GR!

I've sort of looked up videos on YouTube and it looks like I have a lot to learn. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Newbie here! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie here!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next