Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Honour Overrated?

Go down 
+17
Technospaz
beehome
Floggolf
pippin
skybobo
Derek
slinger
9points
watermyforrest
duffader
Birdman
Slicer51
Duval_S
icejazz
DGman
asahi
pocketace
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 9:34 am

Good to know n glad this was shared ... Now I know y I always tee off last! Lol
Back to top Go down
Floggolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie here ...

I came across this thread and thought I'll add my 2 cents worth: in some rounds when we played the 'Animal' game, the order of play will be important and it's not just at the tee box, it is all the way till the putts have dropped, since the last holder of the animals has to pay a penalty.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Birdman wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

Please do not forget to remove your golf cap when doing so.

Pak, you just reminded me of another tradition.

When playing in the UK, please remove the golf cap when entering the clubhouse, or you will wonder why everyone is staring at you. It's considered rude.

this is like the army. just curious, does anyone knows how this tradition comes about?
Back to top Go down
Floggolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 6:21 pm

I believe it started back in the medieval times when the knights will lift their visors to show their faces as a dignity of friendliness, and the knights will remove their headgear when they go inside a building. These two traditions have evolved to the 'tipping of the hat' tradition as a greeting or acknowledgement, and the custom of 'removing a hat/cap when indoors'.

However, it seems that the ladies are exempted from this rule!

Point to note: it is extremely offensive to ask the Sikhs and Jews to remove their headgear at any times.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Like PocketAce, the golfers I play regularly play with adopt the "who's ready, hit first" rule.

But, when I don't know the people I'm playing with, I tend to err on the side of caution and offer the player with the better score on the previous hole the honour of hitting first. More often than not, I've found that I'll just be told to hit first since we're all friends on the course and everyone wants to speed up play after all.
Back to top Go down
Floggolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 6:30 pm

My previous post should read as: the knights will lift their visors ... as a sign of friendliness. (the computer somehow thought I meant 'dignity') Question
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 6:42 pm

thks gloggolf.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 7:08 pm

pocketace wrote:
Bro skybobo (and bro Poresia too, if you are reading this), we better enforce the Honour etiquette and get used to it. I dun want you guys to get into the same awkward situation as me when you guys get paired with strangers next time Wink

Teck, no worries. I seldom get honours anyway.
So when u coming back?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Dun gimme that bs, skybobo
I'm back next sat before heading back here in end sept

Then I'll be a few weekends here in oct

I'll let you guys know but I think realistically can only play in dec with you guys
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Why must have honour to tee off first. If you play Vagas with slinger, he will choose to tees off last even he birdie the last hole. He will Kay Kay seat in his buggy very busy and said ready go first. Maybe some of you all don't understand why, you must play Vagas with him, open an account with him, than you learn, today I just open an small account with him. Heehee.... Damage not big.
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Wah... Can see a lot of ppl dun care Abt golf etiquette...
Honour to tee is almost the basic of golf etiquette.
But I must say... I'm lucky coz I started playing with a Grp of kakis tt are particular Abt G.E..
But again, knowledge can sometimes frustrate u as other ppl dun seem to care a hoot Abt G.E..

Maybe some1 should start a sticky on G.E., for the benefit of new golfers... They dun teach these...
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 10:37 pm

by rule, yes. the one who has the lowest score in previous hole should tee off first in the next hole. but for me, i like to go first (we all know each other so it doesnt matter who go first), as i dont want to get discouraged by the big tee off from my flight mates. they all hit hard and straight, that only make me feel discouraged coz i dont drive as far as them
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 8:24 am

Suzuki wrote:
Why must have honour to tee off first. If you play Vagas with slinger, he will choose to tees off last even he birdie the last hole. He will Kay Kay seat in his buggy very busy and said ready go first. Maybe some of you all don't understand why, you must play Vagas with him, open an account with him, than you learn, today I just open an small account with him. Heehee.... Damage not big.

wei, since when we play vegas???!!!

anyhow humtam me.....

btw, the honor system is strictly enforced in our vegas format, cos it will determine the pairing for the subsequent holes hor....

next game lor, i show u how to play....

small money only what, dun humtam me leh....

also, my brain work quite fast, i dun need to kay kay sit in buggy to calculate..... before i need to putt, i know who my next partner will be!!!

flower
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 am

bro suzuki, slinger gives me 4-4 hor; if you play level with him, next game know what to do ...
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:47 am

Lucky I smart enough never play Vagas with slinger, if not damage will be jialat jialat, must call ambulance. Heehee.... Need to learn more from him.

To ZX

He next round giving me 3 revise. Not level. Because he paisei already. He know level sure makan me. Heehee....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Honour Overrated?   Is Honour Overrated? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Honour Overrated?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2