Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney

Go down 
+3
Duval_S
CoastGuy
IGT
7 posters
AuthorMessage
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

"Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney Empty
PostSubject: "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney   "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Cut-and-paste from other forum!

Good learning for me......it may be good for you too. ,

Here's an interesting one that happened Thursday at Kingsmill. At the start of the rain delay, Dewi Claire Schreefel marked her ball on the green and left the course. When she returned to the green 2 hours later, she placed the ball in front of her marker and backed away to study the putt. She did not remove the marker. The ball moved slightly, so she lifted it and placed it back in front of the marker. She then lifted the marker and played the putt. She was subsequently given a 2 stroke penalty -- one stroke for improperly lifting a ball in play and another stroke for playing from the wrong location.

The ruling is that once the ball is placed into position on the green it is in play even if it is marked. If the ball moves on its own, where it comes to rest is its new in play position and you can't pick it up and move it back. That would have never occurred to me. I would have handled it the same way she did by moving the ball back in front of the maker.
Back to top Go down
CoastGuy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoastGuy

PostSubject: Re: "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney   "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Wow.. This is really new to me! Shocked

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney   "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 9:23 pm

wow.....the next time it rained and I have to come back.....I better remember this rule

Else Techno mite penalize me
Back to top Go down
lennylim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
lennylim

PostSubject: Re: "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney   "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 9:24 pm

It seems to me the crux was that she did not remove the marker after she first placed the ball on the green when play re-started.

Had she removed the marker, and the ball moved slightly, she would then have to re-mark (at the new location) before she lifted, and then replaced before putting, thereby avoiding the penalties. Am I right?

The penalty for the improperly lifting is because the ball moved while the marker was still in original position and she lifted ball without moving the marker. Had she moved the marker to new location, would she have incurred the penalty?
Back to top Go down
Zig Zag
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney   "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, recently the rules was changed such that there is no penalty stroke if the ball moved on its own before the player address the ball.

Therefore if she had remarked the ball at its new position, there would not be any penalty stroke.
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney   "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 am

Good stuff to share. Golf rules are prbay the most complicating and controversial sports rules.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney   "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:00 am

Wait. What other forum?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney   "Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Interesting" Penalty In Recent LPGA Tourney
Page 1 of 1