Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Range vs the real thing

Go down 
+20
asahi
TourSwing
Derek
glim
mUAr_cHEe
Duval_S
dmateo
alangolf
wolverine
Technospaz
watermyforrest
nutty88
odyssey23
pippin
pushslice
pocketace
ngjw89
jeffman88
Slicer51
samuraiiii79
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
samuraiiii79
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Range vs the real thing Empty
PostSubject: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 12:40 am

Hello GRians,

Ihave a big problem.

I can hit my irons and rescue without any problem in driving range. I can get the distance and direction that I want.

But when it comes to green, I just suck! Hitting the ground most of the time. A big patch of grass will fly together with the ball.

What can I do?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 12:46 am

Big patch of grass is good provided it is after the ball and not before :-)

Back to top Go down
samuraiiii79
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:02 am

Shocked After the ball? Shocked

I think I hit the ground abou,t an inch before the ball! Mad Mad Mad

It feels like those 'green side bunker' shot... This is my third time on the green without my coach and it has been bugging me..... I'm looooooooooosing sleep because of this.... Hehehehe

Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:06 am

Head moving up Arrow Up ...Smile remember the coach said "Keep your head down down down!!!!!" Arrow Down Arrow Down
Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:12 am

range mats can be pretty deceiving, hitting a what would be a fat shot on a range mat may result in the club bouncing off and continuing forward to contact the ball. since there's no grass or mud to get between the clubface and the ball, you don't lose much distance. i've read about this drill where you place something (like a towel) behind the ball you're hitting and hit balls with that object behind. that way you'll know if you're contacting the ball or the ground first depending on whether you move the towel or not.
Back to top Go down
samuraiiii79
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:21 am

Very Happy Thank you Slicer51 and Jeffman88 New here And new to golf

I'll keep my head down and keep both eyes on the ball!!!

Ngjw89| that sounds good... I'll try it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:25 am

Bro, I do not think I am in a position to discuss anything on your swing especially you are a beginner, I would suggest you seek your coach for help.

All I can say was : you felt that you are hitting the ball well on the driving mat, it because the mat had cushion most of your error during impact. Sorry, to say was, you are still not hitting the ball well enough. It is not the problem whether you are hitting off the mat or grass. The problem is in your swing.

Another option : Go to a grass driving range to practice ...

Back to top Go down
samuraiiii79
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:33 am

Yup! I agree with you.

Truth hurts! Heheehehe.... Laughing

I still feel that I'm forcing my swing. It's just not smooth.

I'm taking the intermediate class soon and hopefully I'll improve my swing and ball contact.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 7:22 am

What bout off the tee? I hit drivers off the tee well in range. On course, outcome often varies for me on tee boxes

Other clubs are fine leh... I think it's the 6 inches between the ears Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 7:46 am

samuraiiii79 wrote:
:

I'll keep my head down and keep both eyes on the ball!!!

we mean well but internet tips are not good if we don't know the root cause or if we are not trained.

many things can contribute to a fat shot. posture, set up, balance, weight transfer etc etc. different coach give you different cause and solutions.

get a coach bro. go to turf city...ask for simon hill at champions golf academy. practice on grass. one hour lesson maybe enough (or more)
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 8:29 am

I think basically you have forgotten to turn your shoulder on your upswing...

I do that very often when I get excited and confused on the golf course...
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:10 am

All in the mind. Slight thin or fat shot, your ball still can go but not so far. The problem with green is you have only one chance for that shot. Range you can just pick up another ball and hit. This give you the impression you are doing well at the range. We are not so relax at the green as compare to the range. This also affect your swing. I also just started and have the same problem. I practice to be more consistent at the range, practice on grass at turf city or walk a few holes in the evening to get used to playing on green. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:44 am

I think it is just an issue with confidence. Please do not forget that at the range, we just fire ball after ball, and there is no penalty for bad shots. But when it comes to the course, there will be anxieties, e.g. can i cross the hazards, hmm.. OB right so aim more left, strong wind, etc. A lot of times we got mentally screwed and ended up losing our confidence which resulted in bad shots.

@Samurai, learn how to contact the ball first before hitting into the mat or ground and I am referring to iron shots. A lot of folks will suggest you consult a coach or take up lessons which I think you should although I am pretty much a self taught golfer. I think that is why my game still sucks big time. hehe
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 am

if samurai really wants a forumer's tip I got one too! and this one was given by a coach to me

samurai, place a cigarette butt 2 cm in front of the ball nearer to the target.

Then you look at the ciggy and hit the ciggy. Not the ball

If you can get the ciggy to fly, then you may have solved the problem.

Nutty, learn self taught also can go far, just like YE Yang Wink
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 am

pushslice wrote:
if samurai really wants a forumer's tip I got one too! and this one was given by a coach to me

So you have to smoke first before you swing? I like....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 am

watermyforrest wrote:
pushslice wrote:

No wonder I suck.
Back to top Go down
samuraiiii79
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:10 am

Wow! Thanks guys for the many kind advice!

I've just finished my beginner's lesson about a month ago. I think the best thing now is to get my coach to fine tune my swing and tweak it!

I'm in JB and so far there is no grass driving range in JB... Sianzzzz

The cigarette tricks sounds interesting. It'll at least delay my fat shot to after contacting the ball... Beer
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:29 am

hmm no wonder so many cigarette butts at the tee box... affraid
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 am

Technospaz wrote:
watermyforrest wrote:
pushslice wrote:

No wonder I suck.

Oh i c, you do not smoke Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:39 am

samuraiiii79 wrote:
Wow! Thanks guys for the many kind advice!

I've just finished my beginner's lesson about a month ago. I think the best thing now is to get my coach to fine tune my swing and tweak it!

I'm in JB and so far there is no grass driving range in JB... Sianzzzz

The cigarette tricks sounds interesting. It'll at least delay my fat shot to after contacting the ball... Beer

Bro, Ponderosa's range is on grass, right? Or, do they make you hit off a mat there?
Back to top Go down
samuraiiii79
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:54 am

Not sure about ponderosa... I'll check it out and update.

In Impian Emas they allow you to hit on the grass but maximum 2-3 person only. Must go there at the right timing, otherwise have to wait long long
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
wolverine

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 11:18 am

If you are ranging in grass, you may want to try this method

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/big-break-academy-natalia-ghilzon-ball-striking-052212/
Back to top Go down
alangolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 11:28 am

wolverine wrote:
If you are ranging in grass, you may want to try this method

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/big-break-academy-natalia-ghilzon-ball-striking-052212/

She looks good Laughing
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:41 pm

slopes, lies, divot mark and mental all play part in a real game. on the range you are more relax and don't really have any "penalty" for hitting bad shot so you tend to do well. the matt does not help since if you hit 1cm / 2 cm behind the ball , the ball will still fly as your club will slides on the matt. On the course it will eat into the ground and you can loose up to 50% distance and cause the club to be open or closed severely.

The other thing is range never prepare you for the differnt lies, different slopes, ball under feed, ball above your feet, thick rough etc.. Range is a perfect condition flat surface where the ball sit up nicely, it's nothing compared to the real game. However it does train you to practice a consistent shot on ideal condition which is a good thing still.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:44 pm

There are many ways to be successful.....like a chinese saying ' every work type has successful person'...or something like tht.

At range.....one can be a range pro

At real thing....one can be a real pro

At range and real thing....one can possibly be a touring pro

At range and more of real thing....one can be a betting pro

conversely...you can avoid range and just go for real thing...and be a seasoned beginner
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Range vs the real thing   Range vs the real thing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Range vs the real thing
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next