Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HELP! How to play the course

Go down 
+6
pushslice
Roystonnn
shorthitter
eiji
nientsu
greenteaz
10 posters
AuthorMessage
greenteaz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
greenteaz

HELP! How to play the course Empty
PostSubject: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi everyone,

My friends and i picked up golf last month, purely playing at the range till now. We decided to go JB and have a go at their course.
Therefore before we have their whole course levelled flat down, i decided to seek some help. HAHAHAHA

1) How many person a buggy can hold max?

2) How many person a hole?

3) Who hit first? Furthest to hole first?

4) Lets say in Hole 1, Par 4. What is Par 4? If i clear in 3 stroke, what will be the score for the hole? This score thing is the most confusing...anyone can assist to guide me on the score thingy?

Really appreciate if you guys could guide me to save their golf course =)
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm

you sud continue at the range and play some par 3 courses first.

Try mandai, JCC exec, or NSRCC par 3.

If u do not adhere to the rules, it actually can be quite frustrating and dangerous.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Golf etiquette is important, to avoid dangerous play.

and the person who introduce the game to you or a golf coach should be able to answer your questions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:19 pm

greenteaz wrote:
Hi everyone,

My friends and i picked up golf last month, purely playing at the range till now. We decided to go JB and have a go at their course.
Therefore before we have their whole course levelled flat down, i decided to seek some help. HAHAHAHA

1) How many person a buggy can hold max? Two.....

2) How many person a hole? Four....

3) Who hit first? Furthest to hole first? Correct.....

4) Lets say in Hole 1, Par 4. What is Par 4? If i clear in 3 stroke, what will be the score for the hole? This score thing is the most confusing...anyone can assist to guide me on the score thingy? Par 4 means a person with a handicap of zero should complete that hole in 4 strokes. If you do it in 3 strokes that is called a birdie... (one under par) Beer

Really appreciate if you guys could guide me to save their golf course =)
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
greenteaz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
greenteaz

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:29 pm

thanks shorthitter for the prompt answer... very clear cut
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:32 pm

Seems like u r really new to the game.

Like eiji said, eitiquette n safety is very important.
U may accidently hurt someone or pissed other golfers as u do not noe the rules well.

If u really wana try 18holes,
Its better to have someone familiar with golf to go with u.
This way, U can learn more.

But then, its better to start off with executive 9hole course.
Many of them playin there r new also.
At least no one piss off anyone for slow play. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:40 pm

read up on this website for the basic understanding of the game

http://golf.about.com/
http://www.usga.org/etiquette/tips/Golf-Etiquette-101/
http://www.pga.com/golf-instruction/golf-101

and many other sites, google!

above all else, do engage a coach that can show you those little things you need to do on the course

Back to top Go down
greenteaz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
greenteaz

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:54 pm

i can smell the help coming. =D
Thanks Roystonnn...I shall try the 9 holes first...

Pushslice, thanks for those links.. i read some of them already. =) jus hope during tee off, the ball goes straight and not bend to the right 90 degrees...LOL
Back to top Go down
greenteaz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
greenteaz

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:56 pm

nientsu wrote:
you sud continue at the range and play some par 3 courses first.

Try mandai, JCC exec, or NSRCC par 3.

If u do not adhere to the rules, it actually can be quite frustrating and dangerous.

Thanks for the recommendations....but still i prefer to go dig up soil with the clubs in JB... =x
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Hey greenteaz, I assume you are not playing on a weekend right?

some tips for the first time:

DON'Ts
1) Don't bother counting score, but if you do, it is the total number of strokes you use to get the ball into the hole
2) Don't bother about the rules of golf
3) Don't search for lost balls, if you can't find it almost immediately, drop another and whack away
4) Don't shout at each other from across the fairway
5) Don't drive your buggy onto the slopes of bunkers or water hazards, it is a golf cart, NOT an all terrain vehicle
6) Don't use new golf balls

DOs
6) Do bring a LOT of used golf balls
7) Do remember to buy sufficient water
8) Do pay the extra money to get 2 caddies so they can guide you
9) Do take note of safety (THIS IS VERY IMPT). Please look around you at the tee box to make sure no one is in the path of your club. Also, please make sure you are aiming in the correct direction, not at a group of people to the side of you.

Like I said, if you are going on a quiet weekday, HAVE FUN! If going on a crowded weekend ... I would advise against it, but hey ... to each his own
Back to top Go down
greenteaz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
greenteaz

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Derek wrote:
Hey greenteaz, I assume you are not playing on a weekend right?

some tips for the first time:

DON'Ts
1) Don't bother counting score, but if you do, it is the total number of strokes you use to get the ball into the hole
2) Don't bother about the rules of golf
3) Don't search for lost balls, if you can't find it almost immediately, drop another and whack away
4) Don't shout at each other from across the fairway
5) Don't drive your buggy onto the slopes of bunkers or water hazards, it is a golf cart, NOT an all terrain vehicle
6) Don't use new golf balls

DOs
6) Do bring a LOT of used golf balls
7) Do remember to buy sufficient water
8) Do pay the extra money to get 2 caddies so they can guide you
9) Do take note of safety (THIS IS VERY IMPT). Please look around you at the tee box to make sure no one is in the path of your club. Also, please make sure you are aiming in the correct direction, not at a group of people to the side of you.

Like I said, if you are going on a quiet weekday, HAVE FUN! If going on a crowded weekend ... I would advise against it, but hey ... to each his own

Hi Derek...i will be going on a weekday...definitely not a weekend...dont want to irritate so many people =D
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:19 pm

greenteaz, this is my candid take.

It seems that you and your friends are new to the sport. That's fine. We all start somewhere. But, I think that you'll only end up being more frustrated than when you started, and you may even inadvertently deter yourself from the sport.

Golfing in the range is very different when compared to golfing on the course. And, while everyone wants to get out to the course to play, it's usually different from what you'd expect.

Hitting balls on the range on the fancy and very flat astroturf mat may seem doable and you may be good at it. But, on the course, you're tackling uneven lies, hazards and various other obstacles including stray animals and less than patient golfers from other flights. To take all this in at one go can be very taxing.

Furthermore, if you're not familiar with the rules of golf, i.e. how to count score (which is probably one of the more basic), you'll only end up recording a number which likely has little meaning. It may neither be accurate nor a fair reflection of your abilities.

To complicate matters (and perhaps more importantly), if you're not familiar with the rules of golf, it would be tricky to handle things like penalties, lost balls, hazards etc.

I don't mean to damper your spirits or to ridicule (and apologize if my reply comes across as such). What I'm suggesting is that you focus more on getting yourself familiar with the game first. You may have done pretty well on the range (which is great) but you may not yet be ready for the course. You want your first trip out on the course to be something to remember, rather than a frustrating exercise. If you end up so demoralized, then you've only done yourself a disservice - even if your original intentions were to have fun.

Lastly, I cannot emphasize enough the need to be careful. If you're new to the sport, you must remember that golf can be dangerous. Wayward balls can injure and kill. This is vital when you're playing with the public nearby.

So, if you're still keen on taking on a golf course, do heed what the others above have said. Their advice is sound. But, if you're willing to spend a bit more time mastering the sport, you'll find that your trip out to the course will be more enjoyable (hopefully). There's a lifetime of golf to play - don't ruin it by being so enthusiastic that it overshadows your need to be ready to play Smile

Anyway, it's my candid response. Take it with a pinch/bucket of salt if needed.

TS
Back to top Go down
greenteaz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
greenteaz

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Dear TS, please be assure that i am not there to create havoc =) hahaha
Back to top Go down
charlesho
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
charlesho

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Maybe you can try find someone here that is with experience to go with you so that he or she may share experience with you while meeting up a new friend. That's what I did... And it was lots of fun...
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:14 pm

My first time on the green was a GR game. I attended the event with a friend who was familiar with the game so that he could guide me along. I reckon its best if the flight(the group) that you are going to play has a good mix of experienced and inexperienced players. a ratio of 1:1 would be good so that you can share buggy with an experienced player.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:49 pm

bring a lot of balls....simple rules, just download the apps if you are using iphone or android. look for R&A
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Before u go jb golf, read some basic golf etiquettes & rules online.

So tat u get some basic understanding on knowing how to play the game properly.

Knowin how it is played, then u can enjoy.
Anyway, jus enjoy the game n be courteous n safe!
Back to top Go down
greenteaz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
greenteaz

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:59 am

=D
I shall go understand the rules and etiquettes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP! How to play the course   HELP! How to play the course I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP! How to play the course
Page 1 of 1