Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suggestions for the Forum

Go down 
+34
pReTeNd3r
Vinny
Fastgreen
edshlee
daveaha
Newtogolf
ryanc36
mloy
alvin7379
Seiko
hardrock
crystal_tiong
oned10t
watermyforrest
pug
clarencekim
shaugn
setzer
Ken_
JawereZ
Duval_S
Lamts18
lennylim
Gray
Elbry
shorthitter
22tang
4dtoto
Khorkar
missmoon
siaw8
Technospaz
S70B
sunny
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
hardrock

Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 10:56 am

crystal_tiong wrote:
Moon

How abt monthly games slots priortiy give to GR members first ?
Those who want to bring friends , they can sign up as a GR mem too.

which means u going to restict only member that i don't think is a good idea. what's the benefit be GR member???
Back to top Go down
crystal_tiong
Caddy
Caddy
crystal_tiong

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 10:59 am

HR

its a suggestion, everyone can contribute.
Its not up to u to think whether its a good or bad idea.
No one will want to suggest anything if ppl start to comment abt it.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:02 am

hardrock wrote:
crystal_tiong wrote:
Moon

which means u going to restict only member that i don't think is a good idea. what's the benefit be GR member???

Hey HR, I think what Crystal is trying to say is that GR members get the first right to play. These games are organized by GR and wherever possible, a good rate is obtained. It would make sense to give this benefit to GR members first. Of course, if there are unfilled slots, these can go to non-GR members.

BUT, you know what the best thing is? It takes no more than 2-3 minutes to become a GR member. Just register Smile

BTW, your kid gets de facto GR member status Smile
Back to top Go down
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:10 am

crystal_tiong wrote:
HR

Thanks

Since its a suggestion and everyone can contribute, I'm sure anyone can comment whether is this a gd idea or not. The main objective is to make this forum a better place. Perhaps HR had misunderstood your original intention is to give priority to GR members but doesn't mean he cannot comment on your suggestion.
Back to top Go down
crystal_tiong
Caddy
Caddy
crystal_tiong

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:23 am

Seiko wrote:
crystal_tiong wrote:
HR

Thanks

Since its a suggestion and everyone can contribute, I'm sure anyone can comment whether is this a gd idea or not. The main objective is to make this forum a better place. Perhaps HR had misunderstood your original intention is to give priority to GR members but doesn't mean he cannot comment on your suggestion.

Yes , if he dun like any suggestion , he could pm mod privately , no need to broadcast. This will make ppl to think twice before they wan to to suggest and improve the forum . Apparently , some ppl just want to find fault.
We are asking suggestion for improvements
Thanks

PS: end of the discussion , if u have more to comment, please do in pm .
I dun find the need to OT in this thread.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
hardrock

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:24 am

Technospaz wrote:
hardrock wrote:
crystal_tiong wrote:
Moon

Hey HR, I think what Crystal is trying to say is that GR members get the first right to play. These games are organized by GR and wherever possible, a good rate is obtained. It would make sense to give this benefit to GR members first. Of course, if there are unfilled slots, these can go to non-GR members.

BUT, you know what the best thing is? It takes no more than 2-3 minutes to become a GR member. Just register Smile

BTW, your kid gets de facto GR member status Smile

Thanks bro, that's wat i'm going say my son is not GR member so he need to register to be member to participate in any of GR event.

sometime ppl may just want to fun with our golf game don't want to be a member.
Back to top Go down
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:39 am

I don't see the need why we need to pm mod if we don't like any suggestions here. We should discuss it openly so that everyone can contribute to make this idea better. If certain pple cannot take comments or take it too seriously then that's too bad!

As I said most probably HR had misinterpreted your message and TS had more or less clarified it. But your response is disappointed! U actually telling pple that its not up to him to think whether its a gd or bad idea. Well..we are definitely not finding fault on purpose.

I find that its a gd idea to give priority to GR pple when come to mthly game. However I'm sure u can response in a better way.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:43 am

I'm trying to see if we can come up with a suggestion "box" which may be easier since some people may be shy to raise their suggestions openly.

What I think can be expected is this: if you do post a suggestion on an open thread, you may receive thumbs-up and thumbs-down. There's no pleasing the world, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:52 pm

No sure if anyone has already mentioned this; is it better to allow the forum webpages to auto-refresh (i.e. once every 15-30 sec) so we can see which discussion topics have new posts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:00 pm

errrr
you sure that is a good idea?

Cos you can always click on the banner and it will refresh itself. Auto refreshing might be a bit distracting and would add load to the server.

It is feasible technically though. If sufficient ppl think it is necessary, I can always give it a trial run.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:04 pm

Maybe because I am use to seeing how Facebook would refresh itself to show latest postings and I find it quite useful but that is just me... depends on how the rest feel Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:11 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
No sure if anyone has already mentioned this; is it better to allow the forum webpages to auto-refresh (i.e. once every 15-30 sec) so we can see which discussion topics have new posts?

Good idea!! I second that. cheers
Back to top Go down
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:13 pm

This auto refresh idea not bad! We sld give it a try if possible.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:39 pm

it is now implemented for the homepage only. Auto refresh on the inner page would not be a good idea as someone may be scrolling on a long post or typing a reply. If it refreshes it would be a nuisance...
Back to top Go down
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Auto refresh no more?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:06 pm

We took it out after testing as it causes problem with ppl using slow loading connections. The page refeshes before it finish loading. We'll check if there are ways to do it more efficiently
Back to top Go down
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:06 pm

sunny wrote:
We took it out after testing as it causes problem with ppl using slow loading connections. The page refeshes before it finish loading. We'll check if there are ways to do it more efficiently

Noted with tks!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 am

Sunny,

Can consider increasing the Latest Topic entries to 30? I depend on it a lot to see all the active threads.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:29 am

KK

There is a 'View posts since last visit' on the top right portion of the main page. That will help you see what you have missed instead of using the latest topics.

I think 20 now is a good number.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:03 pm

Discussion on avatar images split to new topic.

We do understand that there are concerns about some images being inappropriate for younger audience.

While we acknowledge that children are probably savvy and can find worse things on the internet, we do not need to give them extra help or reminder.

The images may be a tad provocative to some but they are by no means malicious which is why the moderators had not taken action so far. But we have told those members with controversial images nicely about the feedback and we would leave it to their discretion to change or remain status quo.

We just advise everyone to be considerate to others especially the ladies and the children. At the moment, we would not step in unless the issue or other similar issues become rampant and portray a wrong image of the forum.
Back to top Go down
ryanc36
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 am

I may be looking around at the wrong area but is there a function to turn off images, signatures and avatar when viewing the forum? Images posted in threads will be a link instead when the function is activated.

It's quite a common feature in most online forums and I can't seem to find it in the "Profile>Preferences" section. If it is located elsewhere, it might be a good idea to switch it over to "Preferences".

Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 pm

This might be a funny suggestion and addition to the forum, but just wondering on the calendar function.

Currently, I notice it is used mostly for birthday announcements. But wondering if it would be better if we expand on the function by allowing members to actually schedule for golf games (local and overseas meetups)?

To prevent any abuse of the scheduler function, mods and admins can be given rights to edit (for clarity) or delete events. Additionally, any special SSN events can also be placed into the calendar function!
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Newtogolf wrote:
This might be a funny suggestion and addition to the forum, but just wondering on the calendar function.

Currently, I notice it is used mostly for birthday announcements. But wondering if it would be better if we expand on the function by allowing members to actually schedule for golf games (local and overseas meetups)?

To prevent any abuse of the scheduler function, mods and admins can be given rights to edit (for clarity) or delete events. Additionally, any special SSN events can also be placed into the calendar function!

Hmmm... for official events can be done, but for golf games - it'll be too many ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 pm

actually I remembered we used to have this member Merrilyn'something' who had help to put a google calender .....

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:58 pm

daveaha wrote:
Newtogolf wrote:

Hmmm... for official events can be done, but for golf games - it'll be too many ?

Actually you can use the calendar event for games. It's up to the person who starts the thread to insert a date into it. I recall doing so in the past. I suspect you can still do so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for the Forum   Suggestions for the Forum - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for the Forum
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next