Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

JB Golf

Go down 
+10
asahi
mloy
Suzuki
pippin
Peterinjb
TDO
glespaul
enwee
bigmud13
artchang00
14 posters
AuthorMessage
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:15 pm

The missus and me are going to golf one of the weekdays next week at Ponderosa early morning. So since we are both on leave, we are thinking of squeezing another round but different course after lunch.

Any bros & sis who can help us decide?

Looking at the maps, Daiman 18 is a 10 min drive. Octville is another 10 minutes away. Austin too is about 15 min away. Not planning to go too far from the JB/Woodlands side... I know if it's Tuas, can go a couple more courses.

So, what's good - Daiman 18, Octville (new name) or Austin? Permas is only 9 hole and also possible if too tired.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
bigmud13
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:33 pm

If you're doing full day game and going through Woodlands, you should try Tanjong Puteri instead. Tanjong Puteri has one of the best conditioned courses in JB with 54 holes available for play. The location is probably 15 to 20 mins drive east of Ponderosa and weekdays are pretty quiet for a relaxing day. It is my preferred location anytime when I drive into JB.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Go palm resort lah, can play 2 courses in a day.

Last edited by enwee on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
glespaul
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
glespaul

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:43 pm

Austin is bad, daiman is public course soso only, permas not bad. imo heehee!!
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks. Was just looking at the map again...

Palm Resort- we were members and was regular but not missing it much yet so maybe in another few months we'll go back.

My friends too tell me Daiman and Austin are bad. Maybe Permas is good cos it's only 9 holes and not too tiring and can bring our trolley. It says only Rm12 for green fees, real or not?

Now, expanding a bit further afield... Starhill doesn't look too far. Any FR?

Tg Puteri looks good. Heard a lot of good reviews. But it's about 40min, based on G-maps, to get there from Ponderosa. And the traffic coming out after golf might be bad cos there are only 2 lanes and my last trip to that area, took me an hour to get on the highway to connect to JB. Lorries, etc. Tg Puteri might be good for morning and I can change my schedule to play Ponderosa in the afternoon instead.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 4:14 pm

There are just so many golf courses in JB that you will be spoiled for choice. Other than those mentioned above, there are also:

1. Horizon Hills
2. Legends
3. Orchard
4. Johor Golf CC (Walking Course and nearest to Singapore from Woodlands)
5. Palm Villa
6. Poresia (nearest to Singapore from 2nd Link)
Back to top Go down
Peterinjb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 4:23 pm

if u r definately playing one game at pondorasa, then you prolly won't want to drive too far to another course. Austin is out due to surrounding construction, heard only 9 hole playable..dunno how true. you r left with daiman or christine(octville). Daiman is nearest, not in the best condition but playable. christine has 9 hole newly renovated but the other 9 so-so only.(heard can play really cheap like rm50 if you know the contact)

suggest u play daiman or christine in the morning and ponderosa in the evening. Ponderosa also has night golf on certain weekdays.
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Tanjong puteri is a gd choice .... The rest can forget it 
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 4:28 pm

I have avoided Daiman for the past 15 years. Too dangerous for golfing. My bad experiences with stray balls there made me think twice, thrice and finally decided to blacklist it. This is my personal opinion. Shocked pale Stretcher

Last edited by TDO on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 5:16 pm

artchang00 wrote:

Palm Resort- we were members and was regular but not missing it much yet so maybe in another few months we'll go back.

My friends too tell me Daiman and Austin are bad. Maybe Permas is good cos it's only 9 holes and not too tiring and can bring our trolley. It says only Rm12 for green fees, real or not?

Tg Puteri looks good. Heard a lot of good reviews. But it's about 40min, based on G-maps, to get there from Ponderosa. And the traffic coming out after golf might be bad cos there are only 2 lanes and my last trip to that area, took me an hour to get on the highway to connect to JB. Lorries, etc. Tg Puteri might be good for morning and I can change my schedule to play Ponderosa in the afternoon instead.

Aiyo, you want to play JB and scared traffice jam, play singapore better lah. Cheap and reasonable good courses you sure have to compromise on traffic or long journey mah, where got near, no traffic, good and cheap? play Horizon hill lor, no traffic but more ex than putri.
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Since you already take leave, just enjoy 36 hole and go behind putri there is a good and cheap seafood restaurant after golf, forget about the traffic. That should be the way to enjoy. Maybe you come out very late, all the lorry go home leow. Good luck and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Suzuki wrote:
artchang00 wrote:

Aiyo, you want to play JB and scared traffice jam, play singapore better lah. Cheap and reasonable good courses you sure have to compromise on traffic or long journey mah, where got near, no traffic, good and cheap? play Horizon hill lor, no traffic but more ex than putri.
Agree, playing in JB one thing is always the traffic at the custom so unpredictable, last wk, we had to come back from 2nd link because massive jam at courseway. The previous wk, when we played in puteri pm, the return was quite smooth. If you got time constrain like you got something to do in the late afternoon, I suggest either you postpone/cancel your appointment or have to play in SG lor.
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 5:29 pm

A bit adventurous... trying two different golf courses in a day... it's traffic between courses that can make us late to tee off.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 5:32 pm

artchang00 wrote:
A bit adventurous... trying two different golf courses in a day... it's traffic between courses that can make us late to tee off.
Go at 6 should not be a problem. If u wanna play 2 courses, try those clubs with 2 courses or more at least save your travelling time.
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 5:34 pm

Yea enwee... Tg Puteri has 3 courses. Maybe just stick to one club and play 2 courses Wink Easier... less time on the roads, less traffic problem.
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 5:42 pm

Or play Palm Resort...they have three 18s. Chempaka, Alamanda & Melati.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 7:41 pm

Watch out for this forum.

Lots of weekend JB games ongoing.
Back to top Go down
sp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 pm

I think that Tanjong Puteri will be the best choice but please check with the club as sometimes only one 18holes is open during weekday. The traffic is much better since the EDL is completed.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:01 pm

sp wrote:
I think that Tanjong Puteri will be the best choice but please check with the club as sometimes only one 18holes is open during weekday. The traffic is much better since the EDL is completed.
Wkdays puteri evening time got lot of big trucks....also divots everywhere on the road.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:26 pm

How r the current shower facilities at Daiman 18?
Back to top Go down
sgdaniel
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 6:34 am

artchang00 wrote:

I think most golfers will say that Daiman & Austin are bad these days.

As for Permas, playing 9 holes after driving to JB is kinda no shiok.

I've been playing at Starhill for the last 8-9 months. There are 2 x 18-holes. Bintang (Star) course is walking. Bukit (Hill) course is buggy course. The greens are getting better. If you book through Oscar, as we usually do, buggy course is RM85/pax, all in. If walking at Bintang, also RM85, usually we tip the caddie RM25/pax after the game.

As for FR, the greens are quite decent and comparable to Ponderosa. Some greens are better than Pondo. Whereas the fairways are not quite Pondo standard. Some bunkers can be quite hard. If it has been raining, all bets are off. As with most courses in JB, fairways can be partially soggy and there may be ponding after rain. Even Horizon Hills, best in JB, have drainage issues too. Interesting to note that there's a couple of star-shaped island greens. Quite cute. Overall, the 2 courses there pose some challenges and quite plenty of fun. We always see maintenance people repairing here and there.

So, you have 2 options if you don't wish to travel far.

A) Walk at Bintang in the morning, then buggy at Bukit in the afternoon. In between, you can lunch at the restaurant there or just outside.

B) Go to Ponderosa first. Then Starhill buggy course. From Pondo to North-South highway is less than 4km. After which, take the Kempas exit to Starhill. NS highway journey to course is about 8.9km. Should be an easy drive. Especially during ramadan. If you see toll booth, you have overshot.

If you need a free guide, I can tag along and share the travel costs. As I'm always looking for more green time every week. Wink
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:06 am

sgdaniel wrote:
artchang00 wrote:

I think most golfers will say that Daiman & Austin are bad these days.

As for Permas, playing 9 holes after driving to JB is kinda no shiok.

I've been playing at Starhill for the last 8-9 months. There are 2 x 18-holes. Bintang (Star) course is walking. Bukit (Hill) course is buggy course. The greens are getting better. If you book through Oscar, as we usually do, buggy course is RM85/pax, all in. If walking at Bintang, also RM85, usually we tip the caddie RM25/pax after the game.

As for FR, the greens are quite decent and comparable to Ponderosa. Some greens are better than Pondo. Whereas the fairways are not quite Pondo standard. Some bunkers can be quite hard. If it has been raining, all bets are off. As with most courses in JB, fairways can be partially soggy and there may be ponding after rain. Even Horizon Hills, best in JB, have drainage issues too. Interesting to note that there's a couple of star-shaped island greens. Quite cute. Overall, the 2 courses there pose some challenges and quite plenty of fun. We always see maintenance people repairing here and there.

So, you have 2 options if you don't wish to travel far.

A) Walk at Bintang in the morning, then buggy at Bukit in the afternoon. In between, you can lunch at the restaurant there or just outside.

B) Go to Ponderosa first. Then Starhill buggy course. From Pondo to North-South highway is less than 4km. After which, take the Kempas exit to Starhill. NS highway journey to course is about 8.9km. Should be an easy drive. Especially during ramadan. If you see toll booth, you have overshot.

If you need a free guide, I can tag along and share the travel costs. As I'm always looking for more green time every week. Wink

Thanks for the FR. Very good. It's up there on my list now...

Sorry- parkthor with the missus. Can't bring another Wink

Besides, the way we play, you'll regret tagging along.
Back to top Go down
bigrockshow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bigrockshow

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:10 am

jeffman88 wrote:

the last time i was there 2mths ago, still the same cowboy saloon door and open view to the outdoors while showering. LoL
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:58 am

bigrockshow wrote:
jeffman88 wrote:

the last time i was there 2mths ago, still the same cowboy saloon door and open view to the outdoors while showering. LoL

thx .. one of the deterrents to going there to play for me Sad chinese restaurant serves one of best roast duck in jb tho Smile
Back to top Go down
sgdaniel
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

JB Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: JB Golf   JB Golf I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 10:52 am

artchang00 wrote:

Sorry- parkthor with the missus. Can't bring another Wink

i know what u mean... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

JB Golf Empty