Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Before & After Grind work on my wedge

Go down 
+5
r510tp
mizzy
scottycollector
g8888k
HyBriD
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

Before & After Grind work on my wedge Empty
PostSubject: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey,

I just wanna share something new to my current golf toys.

First of all, I never owned or have bought a Vokey wedge.
Becoz way way back, I have always loved how Cleveland ( Roger Cleveland days ) was creating those Great Wedges.

Then when he went to Callaway, I became a Callaway wedge fan.

In my own personal golf ware house, I was maintaining five ( 5 ) 52 deg Cally wedge, two ( 2 ) 58 degree and two ( 2 ) 60deg.

So I thought of why not try trading my seldom used 52 to an old Vokey 56 deg. Luckily, I was able to find a Golfer who was willing to trade.

Hence here are the photos and later you will see how the Grind work did to my New ( Old ) Vokey 56

First the Callaway X series Jaws 52deg i had and wanted to trade

Before & After Grind work on my wedge IMG_0041

Before & After Grind work on my wedge IMG_0061

If you noticed on the Upper most part, the sole area look "Rusty"
I had it Grinded and there was a discoloration that took placed

To make it look beautiful, I have to re-chrome it. But I didn't
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:34 pm

And this is the Old Vokey 56 wedge i got from a friend, who wanted to sell it but gladly gave it to me by trading it

Before & After Grind work on my wedge IMG0219A

the old rusty look on the clubface

The two ( 2 ) other photos....

Before & After Grind work on my wedge IMG0218A

Before & After Grind work on my wedge IMG0217A

I showed this to a friend and he told me, I got short changed on the deal. I just told my friend to just wait and see
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Before & After Grind work on my wedge IMG0223A

This is my old Gamer Wedge ( Scoring club )...
Cleveland 588 RTG ( Raw tour Grind ) DSG ( Dynamic Sole Grind ) 56 deg

I showed this old wedge to my factory worker, a trusted machinist, and upon seeing this.
he calmly told me, its chicken.

So i waited for 3 hours and....
Back to top Go down
g8888k
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
g8888k

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:43 pm

bro what did you do to the Vokey? I have one that I would love to refurnish but never got the motivation, maybe after seeing your results i will finally willed myself to getting it done....

waiting...waiting....waiting
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Before & After Grind work on my wedge IMG0220A

The New looked....

Before & After Grind work on my wedge IMG0222A

somehow my machinist was able to copy and make it DSG Look

And the New Groove looked....

Before & After Grind work on my wedge IMG0221A

rust looked Gone, Re-sharpen groove and clean Looking New
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:54 pm

I had a lot of confidence in my machinist becoz of the past grind work he did in my 59deg wedge...Bend to 60deg

The Old Look...

Before & After Grind work on my wedge Smt2

The New Grind work

Before & After Grind work on my wedge Smt1a

Before & After Grind work on my wedge Smt3

Before & After Grind work on my wedge Smt4
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:56 pm

wow. very very nicely done. only problem with grinding is that the bounce will be affected. was ur machinist able to adjust it to the desired bounce?

anyway, u or ur machinist should seriously consider putter / wedge refurbishment. lots of ppl here would b very interested
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Lastly, not many people know how to Grind.

I have attempted once and it was a disappointing.

The club maker who said he can do it...failed.

When you have your wedge ....Grinded.... your wedge will become lighter

So you must check the swing weight.

My preferred swing weight for my 52 to 54 deg wedge is D4

and 56 is D 7

and 58 to 60 deg wedge is D8
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 3:02 pm

those grooves look really wide.. wider than before the new groove rules were made.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 3:02 pm

scottycollector wrote:
wow. very very nicely done. only problem with grinding is that the bounce will be affected. was ur machinist able to adjust it to the desired bounce?

anyway, u or ur machinist should seriously consider putter / wedge refurbishment. lots of ppl here would b very interested

No I didnt told him and don't want to pressure him.

The DSG or C Grind is my prefer choice becoz i can easily open the club face to make a flop shot or
closed it...making it 53 to 54 if I just want to chip or pitch my ball to the green
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 3:05 pm

mizzy wrote:
those grooves look really wide.. wider than before the new groove rules were made.

Honestly, I hope so...

But I have my doubts. Any modification done can be illegal if I will used this during tournament
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 12:24 am

Actually it is not difficult at all to grind wedges. Smile I've done a few together with my friend at his place.

We started out drilling holes in the back to reduce weight and move the CG a tad higher.

Then, with some unwanted old wedges sponsored by golf buddies, we got more adventurous and started off "grinding" the sole, leading edge, toe and heel with just a simple hand file! Shocked

The easiest to grind were forged carbon steel. It is SO soft and easy to work with. The most difficult is cast iron steel wedges.

From the pics, the grind that you prefer is very straightforward. Just take out the back of the bounce. That would reduce the weight by about 10g or so.

The most important thing I learnt about grinding is clubhead CG. Weight affects CG location. Most wedges have their default CG about 2-4mm horizontally nearer the heel. To remove weight from the sole, and yet maintain SW by adding about 20g in the shaft tip moves the CG at least 2-3mm upwards and even nearer the heel.

You'll need to hit almost a shank and punch really hard downwards just to get good feel and contact.

That is why at the later parts of my grinds, I usually take off more from the heel area to keep the CG as near center as possible. Weight is also added via lead tape on the back of the club. I've also cut off and shortened the hosel and reamed the bore just to tune the CG. And it really makes a lot of difference. Razz

You should try to do it yourself again. It's definitely much more rewarding and accurate since you will know exactly what you want. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:15 am

bro r510tp, you learned DIY clubmaking from Maltby?
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 10:33 am

wo, he even rechromed it for you. Can recomend this excellent craftsman to us please? Where can we find him?
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 10:35 am

haragolfer wrote:
wo, he even rechromed it for you. Can recomend this excellent craftsman to us please? Where can we find him?

Haragolfer, you have to take aeroplane there.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 11:02 am

wah lau, thailand ah....... xian half. Really no one in sg to do this kind of work hor?
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 11:09 am

mloy wrote:
haragolfer wrote:

Haragolfer, you have to take aeroplane there.

maybe take bus also can?
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 11:44 am

Nice grind!
Are you shooting better scores with the wedges? Do they allow you to open up and flop more shots around the greens?
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 2:36 pm

pushslice wrote:
bro r510tp, you learned DIY clubmaking from Maltby?

Not really.... more from school of hard knocks.... Laughing

Desperately need to find a cemetery to bury all my ruined shafts and clubheads.... ROFL

Lest I be charged with NPNT........ Cool

It took me only about 15min with a hand file to do this.....
Before & After Grind work on my wedge Clevel11

Almost completed sole grind. Chrome stripped for better feel. It's not too clear in the pic but the heel grind is much much higher than the toe area. Note about 80% of the word "Cleveland" on the sole was grinded away...
Before & After Grind work on my wedge Clevel12

Acid parkerize treatment to prevent rust. See the aggressive bubbling.
Before & After Grind work on my wedge Acid_p10

cheers
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 3:02 pm

bro r510tp,

you hardcore.. i file also not as fast and effective as you on my wedges..

i have a few grinds.. would you please teach me your technique?
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks for the compliments Mizzy! Very Happy

Actually I don't have any specials skills or techniques. Just brute force! Laughing

The most important thing to determine before the grind is to know what are we trying to achieve with the grind. Flop shots from green side? Dig into rough? Chip from hardpan? What can we not do with the wedge now that we want it to do? Or what shots do we usually struggle to execute when using the wedge?

Then we must find out our swing styles. Take a look at the below url for reference:
http://www.mygolfspy.com/scratch-wedge-grinds/

As I've mentioned earlier, some wedges are soft and very easy to grind. I used a bastard file and then a second cut to smooth things out. It's important to clamp the head tightly when filing.

During grinding, keep checking the weight and CG of the clubhead. Don't let it shift too much away from the standard specs unless you are trying to modify some aspects.

That's about it! In fact, if you were to ask me the types of grinds, I cannot even name you one now! Embarassed

Happy grinding and share some pics! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:43 pm

bro r510tp,

how do u figure the wedge CG when its still attached to the shaft?
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 9:12 pm

You can only estimate the CG when the shaft is installed.

Before grinding, you must remove the shaft.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 12:56 am

Bro,

How do you estimate the CG on the head? do you balance it on the face with a sharp object?
So you got access to a table clamp?
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 11:50 am

The CG of all the irons and wedges I've played with all fall within 10mm of each other. While the difference is very slight, the result on our golf shots are very significant. Shocked

To find exact CG on the clubhead, you must pull the shaft. Here's a clubhead CG marker:
http://www.golfmechanix.com/Items.asp?Pdts=07&CatDescription=CG%20and%20inertia%20surveying%20instruments

Instead of a CG marker, you can use any pointed object like a blunt pencil or a tee. You'll just have to hold the pencil or tee very still or clamp it vertically. Then you can balance the club face on the pointed end. Don't drop the clubhead or you may dent it. Smile

This part is confusing, but to estimate the iron CG with shaft intact, you can:
(1) tie a string to the grip and hang the club where it can swing without obstructions
(2) let the club stop moving completely
(3) use a pointed object (eg pen with cap on) to gently tap on the clubface
(a) if the clubface twists, then the spot you last hit is not the CG
(b) if the club swings straight back and forth, then the spot is very near the CG

Hope I didn't confuse you further.... Razz

I think what you meant about table clamp is a vice clamp. With a vice clamp, the angle was difficult to file. So I used a cheap (<S$10) F-clamp to secure it to a table top (as in my first pic). That allows me to work on the back easily. Here's a sample of the F-clamp I used:
http://www.goodhand.com.tw/fclamp.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Before & After Grind work on my wedge   Before & After Grind work on my wedge I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Before & After Grind work on my wedge
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next