Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag

Go down 
+7
nutty88
dmateo
simoner
silverdove
Slicer51
JohnBGLee
AJTAURUS
11 posters
AuthorMessage
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag Empty
PostSubject: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:09 am

Hi Guys!

Need some information on travelling on a SQ flight with a golf bag. I will be travelling to KK on SQ. I will only be having a cabin bag and as such no check-in luggage, except that I have a golf travel bag. Will I still be charged with excess baggage or will I get 20kg allowance? In this instead of luggage, I check in golf travel bag.......thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
JohnBGLee
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JohnBGLee

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:30 am

Max check in allowed is 20kg. (excluding hand carry).

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:41 am

check in luggage including golf bag, max 20 kgs. If you fly business class, will be 30 kgs
Back to top Go down
silverdove
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 12:03 pm

You need to check the airlines policy on golf bags, I know that Emirates lets you check in a golf bag and a pair of golf shoes for free in addition to the usual baggage allowance and hand carry bags. Most airlines should have a golf bag policy except for budget of course.

Last edited by silverdove on Mon May 14, 2012 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 12:04 pm

For SQ, your check-in bag is max 20kg for econ and 30kg for biz.

Normally, they will not take into account your golf bag into the total weight provided that the golf bag is lesser than 15kgs.
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 12:59 pm

simoner wrote:

Normally, they will not take into account your golf bag into the total weight provided that the golf bag is lesser than 15kgs.

so, in other words even though I do not have any luggage to check in...I cannot use my 20kg for my golf travel bag? BTW what is the average weight of a golf bag packed in a golf travel bag anyways?
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Mine is 12.4. That is 13 club with all iron and 1 x 4 wood + 1x driver.
Still remember as I am just back from hkg trip last week
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 1:47 pm

AJTAURUS wrote:
simoner wrote:

so, in other words even though I do not have any luggage to check in...I cannot use my 20kg for my golf travel bag? BTW what is the average weight of a golf bag packed in a golf travel bag anyways?

You can check in your golf bag which usually weighs 10-15kg depending on the equipment you have. Don't worry about checking in on SQ. I have never had issue checking in my full set + luggage.
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 1:54 pm

nutty88 wrote:
AJTAURUS wrote:
simoner wrote:

You can check in your golf bag which usually weighs 10-15kg depending on the equipment you have. Don't worry about checking in on SQ. I have never had issue checking in my full set + luggage.

Thanks All.....! The information really helps.......! Try to save as much as I can coz I heard playing in KK is realyy expensive!
Back to top Go down
aze06
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:01 pm

Go ahead and check in your golf bag + 1 additional luggage if you need. SQ no problem one.
I had even squeezed my extra clothings into the travel bag and they didn't question.

Other airlines will be 20kgs inclusive of EVERYTHING. Kana this with CX and all China airlines before...
Also, I learnt is that we can actually request for additional baggage prior to the trip by calling up the airline before the flight and tell them that you'll be bringing a golf bag. They may grant you up to 25kg or 28kg. This was about 3 years back. Not sure if they still have this procedure.
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:06 pm

aze06 wrote:
Go ahead and check in your golf bag + 1 additional luggage if you need. SQ no problem one.
I had even squeezed my extra clothings into the travel bag and they didn't question.

Other airlines will be 20kgs inclusive of EVERYTHING. Kana this with CX and all China airlines before...
Also, I learnt is that we can actually request for additional baggage prior to the trip by calling up the airline before the flight and tell them that you'll be bringing a golf bag. They may grant you up to 25kg or 28kg. This was about 3 years back. Not sure if they still have this procedure.

I will only be checking in my golf travel bag but If they allow me to check in my cabin bag, why not? Travelling light.....Once again thanks!
Back to top Go down
slash
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Never had issues with SQ cos the golf bag does not go into the checkin luggage total weight. For recent trip, my golf travel bag weighed 23kg, luggage weighed 25kg. Still ok.
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:32 pm

From Singapore Airlines Website:

For golfing equipment, you will be charged a standard excess baggage charge of 6 kg which is applicable for the first 15 kg of the equipment. For every kg beyond the first 15 kg, normal excess baggage charges will apply. Excess baggage charges vary by zone of travel. As examples:

If you are travelling from Singapore to Malaysia and your golfing equipment weighs 20 kg, you will be charged a total of USD88 (at USD8 / kg). This is calculated as follows: 8 x 6 (for the first 15 kg) + 8 x 5 (for the next 5 kg) = USD88.

If you are travelling from Europe to Singapore, the amount charged will be USD550 (at USD50 / kg). This is calculated as follows: 50 x 6 (for the first 15kg) + 50 x 5 (for the next 5kg) = USD550.

This special charge is only applicable to one set of golf equipment per customer.

One set of golf equipment is deemed to comprise:
- 1 golf bag containing not more than 14 golf clubs
- Maximum of 12 golf balls
- 1 pair of golf shoes
- Golf tees

Any additional golf sets shall be charged according to the standard excess baggage charges.
For travel to/from the United States, each golf set will be considered as one piece of luggage under the piece system, and any excess baggage will be charged.
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 4:36 pm

well.. I just came back from Hong Kong and they didn't charge me a dime.
Golf bag 12.4 kg goes to large item check in counter, luggage goes to the normal check in counter. Same on the trip back from Hong Kong to Singapore, no charges. Went out on 6th May and back on 9th of May (SQ 861 from Hong Kong).
Maybe it's included in the ticket price. You might want to check on the condition of the ticket and the class of the ticket. I'm travelling economy and bought the ticket from SQ website. No charges.
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 9:30 pm

dmateo wrote:
well.. I just came back from Hong Kong and they didn't charge me a dime.
Golf bag 12.4 kg goes to large item check in counter, luggage goes to the normal check in counter. Same on the trip back from Hong Kong to Singapore, no charges. Went out on 6th May and back on 9th of May (SQ 861 from Hong Kong).
Maybe it's included in the ticket price. You might want to check on the condition of the ticket and the class of the ticket. I'm travelling economy and bought the ticket from SQ website. No charges.

I think mine is a full fare ticket, because it cost USD796.00 (paid by my company, of course) roundtrip to KK.
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 10:07 pm

simoner wrote:

Bro Simoner is right, unless your overall baggage weight is more than 20kg ie. luggage + golf bag, u are ok. In the event your luggage + golf bag is more than 20kg, they will not charge you extra as long as your golf bag is below 15kg ie. ur total baggage weight can reach 20+15kg without extra charges.

Disclaimer, this is my experience on SQ, Cathay and China Eastern flights which were not fully booked... happy holidays!
Back to top Go down
AJTAURUS
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
AJTAURUS

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 7:35 am

BigblackGoof wrote:
simoner wrote:

Bro Simoner is right, unless your overall baggage weight is more than 20kg ie. luggage + golf bag, u are ok. In the event your luggage + golf bag is more than 20kg, they will not charge you extra as long as your golf bag is below 15kg ie. ur total baggage weight can reach 20+15kg without extra charges.

Disclaimer, this is my experience on SQ, Cathay and China Eastern flights which were not fully booked... happy holidays!

Thanks bro, unfortunately not a holiday but a biz trip with golf on the side!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag   Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need information on travelling on SQ with Golf Bag
Page 1 of 1