Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?

Go down 
+6
scottycollector
TigaWood
siaokao
slinger
Batman
shifu17
10 posters
AuthorMessage
shifu17
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
shifu17

How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? Empty
PostSubject: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 11:46 pm

I would like to adjust the lie of my current callaway big bertha 2008 irons. wanna get it more suited to my height cos it isn't sitting nicely at address but i was told if can't be done if it is made by casting?

how do u tell if it is made by casting or if it is forged?
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 12:10 am

Google..
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 12:13 am

it says FORGED on the irons.....
Back to top Go down
shifu17
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
shifu17

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 12:16 am

i tried googling to no avail.
it doesn't say forged..so i assume it's cast then?
sianz..then can't adjust the lie angle Sad
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
siaokao

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 12:34 am

I'm not sure if u really can't adjust lie angle on cast irons.. Most ping irons r not forged, but all can be adjusted.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 12:35 am

This model should be cast.
When it is forged, most of the time they will state it on the head.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 12:36 am

callaway big bertha is definitely cast iron. no doubt about it. some pro shops are willing to help adjust lie angles on cast irons, but at most to 0.5 or 1 degree. the concern of most pro shops is the fear that the cast iron make start cracking or breaking.

on a separate note, if your concern is that the toe is pointing slightly upwards, instead of being completely flat, u may want to consider the fact that when you are swinging your club at high speed, there is in fact a slight downward bend in your shaft at the point of impact, which effectively flattens out your lie angle.

my personal view is that it's ok if the toe is pointing ever so slightly upwards at address.

Lastly, you may also want to check your address position. assuming you're a beginner, the awkward lie angle may be due to an incorrect address position, rather than the club not suiting u. ignore this if u'r not a beginner and ur swing has stabilised.
Back to top Go down
shifu17
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
shifu17

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 2:26 am

hmm thanks guys for the replies. i m still a newbie golfer just started maybe 6months ago. in terms of the address position i do have an address that i m comfortable with except that i find myself trying to adjust my position sometimes slightly awkward to try to sit the club better on the ground. whether my position is correct i can't say but my coach (when i was taking beginner lessons) didn't seem to have a problem with it so i assume it's ok.

anyways i will just take my stuff to the shop next week perhaps see if they can help =)

if cannot at most i just adjust my wedges haha (not big berthas)
Back to top Go down
waybalegolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
waybalegolf

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 8:37 am

You might want to consider lengthen or shorten it if these clubs don't fit your height. As lie angle changes with the length of the club as well so no bending require.....

Cheers
Back to top Go down
shifu17
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
shifu17

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 9:25 am

Ok! Ty Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 10:41 am

slinger wrote:
it says FORGED on the irons.....

lol!

Sounds like a joke but completely true, forged clubs are considered to have a value premium, hence manufacturers will definitely indicate on the club somewhere
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 11:03 am

I'm pretty sure that the Big Berthas were cast irons.
Back to top Go down
shifu17
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
shifu17

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 12:11 pm

oh wells i suppose i'll see if it can be adjusted like 1degree or something then see what the guy at the shop says Smile
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 3:29 pm

There won't be much difference for a beginner. Stable you swing first. You can also try gripping your club down abit to get a cleaner contact. Finally, you can also swing your shorter irons first like P to 8 irons. These would be easier. If you need to customised your clubs, better get advise from an expert club fitter as you might need to adjust your clubs more than once (this is why cast iron sets are not recommended for adjustments).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?   How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to tell if my irons are made by casting or forged?
Page 1 of 1