Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Baseball grip

Go down 
+5
TigaWood
tronos
pushslice
Slicer51
Joshtay
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Joshtay
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Joshtay

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 1:31 am

Hi GRians,

I'm a beginner of a few months and I haven't seen much progress in any clubs other than wedges.

I've always found that my swing just wasn't generating enough power to allow me to hit the 8, 7, etcs.

Even if i contacted the ball, i still found issues with getting the balls lofted sufficiently.

Today I decided to try using the baseball grip for the first time. Just at the first swing I was amazed! My 8 flew with good loft all the way till 100! and i managed to replicate it quite successfully! Can anyone shed light what exactly happened? i dont know if i should change my grip or what exactly i'm messing up!
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 8:55 am

I understand a baseball grip gave you a easily "roll over" after you have impact the ball. what club are you using? unable to have a loft with your ball, usually it is the swing or not using an more forgiven club for beginner.

As always, seek your coach for advise and do not try to self learn
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 am

Tried baseball grip for a few months when I was still starting out. It felt more powerful and easier to hit the balls. I think my right arm was able to dominate and "hit the ball" like a tennis player would hit a forehand.

I took lessons thereafter and my pro said though baseball grip is good for starting out. but ultimately he preferred me to do vardon (or interlock) as he believed baseball grip gives less control than the other two when golfers reached higher levels of proficiency. Anyways he taught me a proper way to grip and most importantly to hit less and swing more. With that change, I really didn't have the need to muscle the ball like a forehand anymore.

Do have a coach take a look at your swing. It will save months (if not yrs) of trial and error by self learning. I can recommend Jhan18, Shorthitter, Jsmooth, Punkrockpga. They are all forum members.

Last edited by pushslice on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 9:32 am

pushslice wrote:
Tried baseball grip for a few months when I was still starting out. It felt more powerful and easier to hit the balls. I think my right arm was able to dominate and "hit the ball" like a tennis player would hit a forehand.

I took lessons thereafter and my pro said though baseball grip is good for starting out. but ultimately he preferred me to do vardon (or interlock) as he believed baseball grip gives less control than the other two when golfers reached higher levels of proficiency. Anyways he taught me a proper way to grip and most importantly to hit less and swing more. With that change, I really didn't have the need to muscle the ball like a forehand anymore.

Do have a coach take a look at your swing. It will save months (if not yrs) of trial and error by self learning. I can recommend Jhan18, Shorthitter, Jsmooth, Punkrockpga. All forum members.

Bro, I agreed all above except the word " All forum members" ? (that including me?) I am sure not want to screw up anybody swing when I am still stuggleing with my own hehehehe lol! ( no offense )
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 am

haha pak, I meant the pros I listed, they are all forum members ....will edit Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 9:36 am

pushslice wrote:
haha pak, I meant the pros I listed, they are all forum members ....will edit Very Happy

Sorry, sorry. My bad ... do not need to edit la bro ...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 9:42 am

was told my grip size too big so baseball grip easier...our asian hands are very petite compare to the ang mo hands and yet we use the same size golf grip....go figure.

my SGI irons have stock grips almost mid size!!!!!
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 9:50 am

Joshtay wrote:
Hi GRians,

I've always found that my swing just wasn't generating enough power to allow me to hit the 8, 7, etcs.

Today I decided to try using the baseball grip for the first time. Just at the first swing I was amazed! My 8 flew with good loft all the way till 100! and i managed to replicate it quite successfully! Can anyone shed light what exactly happened? i dont know if i should change my grip or what exactly i'm messing up!

Power is generated from the hip turn, weight transfer and not the hands alone.
I have been playing for a long time, but recently switched to base ball grip.

Since you have just started playing.
It will be good to learn the proper technique through the pros.
BTW, 8I should get you between 120m-140m.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 am

seebayho wrote:

Hey Colin,

are we talking about carry purely or including the roll?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:24 am

timang84 wrote:
seebayho wrote:

Hey Colin,

are we talking about carry purely or including the roll?
Total, carry and roll.
Of course there are people who are capable of hitting shorter or longer than that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Joshtay,

From the little I know, a baseball grip promotes "release". Knowing how to "release" is crucial in a golf swing.

On the subject of grips, nothing wrong in using a baseball grip, even if it is not the most common grip. The truth is always is the ball flight. We can theorise about hips, arms, shoulder, one-plane, 2 plane, loop, swing vs hit, right sided vs left sided ... etc but the ultimate truth will always be how your ball flies. Everything about equipment, swing instruction and the game of golf is about getting the ball to go where you want it too consistently.

Hence, if you like the shape of your ball flight, and your baseball grip feels right to you, don't change it and enjoy the feeling of good contact.

Just curious, you mentioned good loft with an 8i till 100m, what about direction?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:42 am

I can only hit 120m (carry) with my 8i and roll 5, 10 meter ?. If a 55 years old man 8i distance. Avg younger player shouldn't be shorter then this ? Right or am I incorrect ?

I have friend that can hit (carry) about 140m with his 8i and friend can do about 110m. The only diffident was the way they swing.

So, if you hit shorter then me (which you should not) better see a coach. If you hit further than me (I am sure allot), can you teach me ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 1:20 pm

i have used the baseball for 5 years now...

when starting out, it takes a while to get used to...

but slowly, i find the ease in hitting the clubs as compared to other conventional grips...

just find what suits u....

the baseball grip suits me n i have been playing quite well with it....

once a while, i also indugle in some buaya-status-management....
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 pm

hey,

if baseball grip works well with you.

Don't changed it!

Most Filipino Jun Golfers, aged 3 to 8, uses Baseball grip to gain power.

Some of Lady Golfers uses this too.

Some KLPGA uses this grip too.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Sponsored content

Baseball grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baseball grip   Baseball grip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baseball grip
Page 1 of 1