Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?

Go down 
+7
shotah
jtek
Technospaz
Duval_S
ironfist
22tang
Khorkar
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? Empty
PostSubject: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 5:27 pm

Its ESPN...does this impact Golf Channel?

SINGAPORE: Singapore Telecommunications Ltd (SingTel) has won the rights to air Barclays English Premier League matches across its platforms, as well as exclusive broadcast rights to ESPN STAR Sports for mio TV.

In a statement released on Thursday, SingTel said the rights would allow it to broadcast EPL matches on mio TV, the Internet and mobile applications for three years starting August next year.

Asia's leading telecommunications company said it has also secured rights to a suite of sports networks and services from ESPN STAR Sports for its mio TV customers.

This means it will have the rights to show programme offerings under ESPN, which include the FA Cup, Formula One, the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open Golf Championship.

A new 24-hour sports news channel, called ESPNEWS, is also slated for broadcast on mio TV from next month.

SingTel said other exclusive sports services will be unveiled soon.

SingTel Singapore CEO Allen Liew assured viewers that charges will be comparable to what sports fans are currently paying to their cable TV operator.
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 6:39 pm

I am also curious confused
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 6:51 pm

wtf.. so starhub tv subscribers cannot watch lah..
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Something just must not be market force drive.......walau...I will term this as gaming ...... CASE...anybody home?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:02 pm

I have both StarHub and Mio. The latter was on impulse... may not have been such a better idea after all.
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 10:09 pm

Seems like Starhub is keeping Golf Channel

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_436640.html

"Responding, StarHub issued a statement on Thursday afternoon, confirming that it will end ESPN (Channel 23), STAR Sports (Channel 24) and STAR Cricket (Channel 110) with effect from mid-2010. "

S odeos it means we will need to have both Starhub for standard Golf Channel Telecast and then pay for Mio for the major like US Open??? Is this is so than it will be really SHIT!!!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 11:27 pm

Nin-nia eh... like that also can ah. The consumers are so screwed!!
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 12:13 am

well, if that it is, save the money on the tv and go play the real thing.... Smile
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 12:17 am

nbz... no more epl next time liao...

even the current CL oso nvr show....xianz...
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 4:35 am

If you are football buff and golf addict. You are pretty much in the fix. You cant have one without the other. You are likely to spend double... Shocked

I hope they dont start competing for the rest of the channels i.e. natgeo and discovery. If they do, then we are even worst off..
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 5:05 am

And I thought watching golf in US was bad. Looks like I will have to suffer too next year.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 7:08 am

In the after math of all these bidding wars.....the consumers are worst sufferers!!

After either of these companies win the bid, they will then pass the cost of it to the consumers, citing increase in prices.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 7:31 am

Khorkar wrote:
Nin-nia eh... like that also can ah. The consumers are so screwed!!

Consumers are always the ones getting screwed.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 8:58 am

omg please don't take my BBC Knowledge! Sad

wah singtel must've been very aggressive during the bidding process.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 8:59 am

I stared into my cyrstal on the pretext of 'how to max gain'.....suddenly I saw a Red Team....then another Green Team.....in a kopi shop

Red Team say, ' eh , we divide and conquer lah'.....
Green Team: WTF..speak english can?
Red Team: when we sell Kopi-O, we insist that the consumer must buy the coffee and the nasi lemak together....And if they want sugar, then we insist that the consumer must buy sugar (to go into kopi) and Mee siam.
Green Team: u siao hah...later consumer become obese how?..
Red Team: Don worry, we later introduce Kopi - less- sugar....and if they want less sugar, we ask them to buy our vegeterian food..because it all come together

then I woke up....cold shiver......scary tots
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 9:10 am

LOL scary tots indeed.

maybe singtel is just out there to bring starhub down. (remember streats and today?)
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 9:11 am

The prob is the monopolistic structure of competition. As all monopoly, consumers are the worst hit becoause the producers are the price-setters. Consumers lan lan, suck thumb must take the price these producers take.

But all these will change if no exclusive right is given to either Singtel and Starhub, creating a duopolistic competition structure.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 9:23 am

u know..something just cant be viewed as exclusive rights.....if I remember my history lessons, even in cold war, USA has to sell to USSR (then) wheat and grain..... the only prob is soccer is not 'butter and bread' yet

Just curious: Is CASE press-see-then a fan of soccer?
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 9:44 am

lol with both starhub and singtel involved i don't think case can do anything.. the only entity that can resolve this is the govt.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 9:51 am

nothing that the gahment can or will resolve. EPL wants more $$, whoever can pay get the rights to broadcast.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?   Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do we have to subscribe to Singtel for Golf channel?
Page 1 of 1