Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
maryet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37 Empty
PostSubject: Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37   Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi everyone, GXFC. I'm looking at iron shafts (in the US now) and they come in 2 sizes. Steel shafts are usually 0.355, whereas graphite shafts are 0.37. I gathered from various forums (golfwrx, BSG) that it is possible to add a shim or widen the hosel. Anyone with experience on this? Thinking of buying, bringing it home and getting a fitter to install the shafts, but don't want to get the wrong size! BTW My irons are MX 200, steel shafts DG R300. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37   Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Maryet,

Yours is an interesting question! Smile

I think the MX200 should be tapered hosel, 0.355.

Both graphite and steel shafts come in both 0.37 and 0.355.

Generally, if you buy a 0.355 tipped shaft, you can shim and install it into a 0.37 hosel. The reverse is also possible if you ream the hosel from 0.355 to 0.37 but reamng is definitely more troublesome and challenging than shimming. Reaming is not always possible or advisable too.

Unless you have a very good deal (eg US$20 for a whole set of shafts), it may not make sense to buy from overseas. In USA, it is extremely common for them to DIY their clubs. Without an experienced eye, it is difficult to detect what modifications they made to the shafts.

I've seen shafts filled with sand to beef up swingweight. I've seen shafts tip-trimmed way beyond normal specs. I've also seen steel shafts from different brands bundled together as a set disguised with the same brand's stickers. There were also plenty of slightly bent steel shafts!

And even without these fanciful modifications, you also need to know your irons' hosel length and BBGM (google) to know if the shafts fit your irons. Standard length for one set is different from another.

Most clubfitters in sg also give an installation discount if you buy shafts from them. Some bundle the total price together. If you pay S$10 to install each shaft, assuming the old shaft pull is free, you'll still need to topup money for the grip.

Is it worth it? Razz

Happy New Year!!!

Back to top Go down
maryet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37   Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:00 am

Bro, thanks for the advice. You are right, its not worth the risk and I will visit a fitter when I get back. The DG R300s are getting heavy, esp when you are playing 2 days in a row! I'm looking at Aerotech steel fibres. Based on what I've read on-line, the dispersion is no different from steel shafts and it weighs a lot less. Hope to be able to re-shaft my beloved MX 200s into those without reaming the hosels too much.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37   Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:06 pm

steel fiber do come in tapered tips from 85g onwards. the 70g are still parallel tip but it can be shave slightly but not to a .355.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37   Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shaft diameter - 0.355 or 0.37
Page 1 of 1