Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Youngest Pro Winner... 14yr old Girl

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

Youngest Pro Winner... 14yr old Girl Empty
PostSubject: Youngest Pro Winner... 14yr old Girl   Youngest Pro Winner... 14yr old Girl I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:05 pm

14-year-old New Zealand amateur Lydia Ko has become the youngest ever winner of a professional golf tour event.

Ko won the women's New South Wales Open by four shots on Sunday, breaking Japananse star Ryo Ishikawa's mark of 15 years, 8 months, and Australian Amy Yang's women's record of 16 years, 192 days in the Australian Ladies Masters.

Ko, born in South Korea, carded a final-round 69 to finish on 14 under par, four clear of Wales' Becky Morgan in the 54-hole tournament at Oatland Golf Club.

''To be part of history is like a miracle,'' Ko said according to the Associated Press. ''It's not something you can have by clicking your fingers.

''My driver and iron play were probably the nicest to me over the past two days,'' she added. ''I also putted well, but I was in good position on most of the greens because I was able to make approaches from good places on the fairways.''

Ko, still in the 11th grade at North Harbour near Auckland, plans to play about 30 tournaments this year, including two more professional events - the Australian Masters at Royal Pines and the LPGA's Australian Open at Royal Melbourne - over the next few weeks.

''I'll play in mostly amateur tournaments after that, and my schedule looks pretty busy for the next several months,'' she said.

Ko, who lists American golfers Michelle Wie and Alexis Thompson as her role models, moved to Australia with her family from Seoul in 2003.

''My sister (Sura) was attending school in Canada, and we were going to move there, but when I started playing golf regularly, we decided New Zealand would be the best place to come because of the weather,'' she said.

source page
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung

Youngest Pro Winner... 14yr old Girl
Page 1 of 1