Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rhythm vs. speed with drives

Go down 
+4
buweeza
golf_snowman
wilkang
Technospaz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Rhythm vs. speed with drives Empty
PostSubject: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Funny thing happened the other day when I was hitting my driver.

For those who have played with me before, you would know that my drives are wilder than wild apes. So, in an effort to keep things more in check, I've tried to slow my drives down. I thought my downswing was too fast and as a result, I would come outside-in and force a slice.

However, when I was at the range the other day, I got several of my drives tested and when I just swung it (without slowing down), I achieved pretty decent drives with a ball spin of approx 3300-3500rpms. I realized that if I just hit the ball and not think too much about it, I would have a better chance of keeping the ball in play.

I guess it all boils down to the rhythm of the swing and not the speed?

Caveat: It's easier to drive when doing so at the range than on the course - psychologically anyway.
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:04 pm

I would say Rythm and speed can work together.
It's the mental aspect and swing plane that needs to be checked... Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:05 pm

wow...bro, you have scope to track your ball spin rate at the range ?.....so pro !!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:07 pm

WilKang - I think you are spot-on. A lot of it comes from confidence and just knowing that you'll hit the ball right. Once you get your head in order, everything else should follow. But, as you know, once confidence is shaken... it's self-destructive.

Golf_Snowman - Sadly, no. I just had the fortune of being in the right place at the right time.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:12 pm

Technospaz wrote:
WilKang - I think you are spot-on. A lot of it comes from confidence and just knowing that you'll hit the ball right. Once you get your head in order, everything else should follow. But, as you know, once confidence is shaken... it's self-destructive.

Golf_Snowman - Sadly, no. I just had the fortune of being in the right place at the right time.

sigh...seems like i'm facing the same problem also....so much that i wnt dare to touch my driver...and dunno how to gain back the confident....sigh !!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:14 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

sigh...seems like i'm facing the same problem also....so much that i wnt dare to touch my driver...and dunno how to gain back the confident....sigh !!

That's my problem too. But if you can master the driver and put the ball on the fairway (80% of the time), you can be quite happy. I'm not talking distance here. I'm not gunning for the 300m drives (not even anywhere close). I just want to make sure that the ball finds the short grass.
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Rhythm for consistency, speed for distance.

Consistency > distance IMO. I had posted before (shorten shaft, stiffen shaft) I am hitting more fairways and getting better scores now. Distance fell off 20-30m. But last 3 games it came back. Focussing on Rhythm and tempo helps increase ball striking. Hit the sweetspot more often, reduce unwanted side spin and the higher smash factor compensates for lower speed. If you can get your drives on the centre of the fairway. You'd eliminate (not just those OBs / Water penalties) but also those weird ball likes that you'd often find if you miss the fairway. (e.g. rough). A flat lie and a good angle of approach will significantly ease your next shot to the green.

My opinion..
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 pm

From my personal view and experience.

Consistency helps to build up confidence. And with confidence, you don't mind F#$K yourself. I thought that I would just hit the ball and hope for the best. Previously, at set-up there would be many thoughts going through my mind and by the time I start my take-away, I would doubt my self and end up with a really really bad & wild shot.

Recently, my swing went completly haywire, I was impacting the ball really really good, just couldnt catch the timing to release my club and end up with either a slice or fade. Went back to see my instructor and he made me do this drill.

Place 3 balls in a line. Set-up and hit the 1st ball, step into position and hit the 2nd ball, and do the same for the 3rd ball. Do no stop to re-grip and adjust set-up etc etc, just set-up for the 1st ball and hit. This helped my mind to stop thinking so much and it actually cured the problem, permantly I hope. This was because I use to flip my wrist very badly and sub-conciously, in my mind, I was afraid to release to early causing duck hooks. This also help in my rhythm.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 1:35 pm

wilkang wrote:
I would say Rythm and speed can work together.
It's the mental aspect and swing plane that needs to be checked... Laughing Laughing

i certainly agree on this.
Rythm & Speed can work together and works well when you know how.

My wife, Agnes does not have the fastest swing speed, but she can drive her ball past the 200 mark yard.

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 1:37 pm

I think consistency/rhythm needs to be perfected first. Then speed can be introduced for power.

Step #1 still difficult but I'm going to get my basics right. Coaching is a good start (getting coaching, as opposed to giving coaching, that is.)
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 2:04 pm

somehow i have this feeling that everytime when i address my tee shot with my driver, the driver will tell the ball "hey, front right got water...u gonna go there, best if you can dive into the water"....and the ball always listen to the driver....sianz....
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 2:22 pm

@ Winston, please don't put two balls next to your ball-in-play when on course hor.
Back to top Go down
Groo111
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 2:35 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
somehow i have this feeling that everytime when i address my tee shot with my driver, the driver will tell the ball "hey, front right got water...u gonna go there, best if you can dive into the water"....and the ball always listen to the driver....sianz....
Bro get a Dumb driver. Dumb as in Cannot speak or use Deaf balls! LOL Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Groo111 wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
Bro get a Dumb driver. Dumb as in Cannot speak or use Deaf balls! LOL Very Happy

haha, good one bro....

but i think they have telepathy capability...which is why i decided not to let them meet each other in the course...at tee off, the ball will only get to see my 3 wood...haha !!!
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 3:10 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I think consistency/rhythm needs to be perfected first. Then speed can be introduced for power.

Step #1 still difficult but I'm going to get my basics right. Coaching is a good start (getting coaching, as opposed to giving coaching, that is.)

The swing is probably very much like a slingshot IMO.
Steady upswing to prep the rest of your body, speed through releasing the clubhead.
Well..swiing plane is like the aiming portion.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 3:12 pm

wilkang wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

The swing is probably very much like a slingshot IMO.
Steady upswing to prep the rest of your body, speed through releasing the clubhead.
Well..swiing plane is like the aiming portion.

sigh !!...talking about coaching....i miss brett ....Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rhythm vs. speed with drives   Rhythm vs. speed with drives I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rhythm vs. speed with drives
Page 1 of 1