Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hitting it longer

Go down 
+4
gingerus
pushslice
duffader
Duval_S
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 am

With all the technology , gadgets etc that helps one to hit longer, I will like to share one tip which I learnt during my most recent golf lesson.

The lesson was conducted by non other than Ray Floyd....the 'stare' at ard 11pm our time ......done thru golf channel

Here is the tip which I intend to use for my driver: lift my left heel during takeaway.

If nt mistaken zx does that. Anybody else? Comments?

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:05 am

Bubba Watson does that... Zx idea is not to raise te left heel but to make the knees touch each other. Smile
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 am

not too early during takeaway, but more after club passed the 9'o clock position

Raymond also said: lift the heel is not the key, it was a move so that he can have a bigger turn coming back. So the key for him is to have a bigger turn.

He lifted the heel especially after he was north of 40. Body not as flexible anymore Very Happy

but Jack Nicklaus also lifted heel from young, from the old pics

I want to learn the "STARE" instead, could be useful at match play Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gingerus
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:27 am

lifting the heel will increase the chance of slicing Shocked
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:51 am

Not scared u long, but scared u straight.
Back to top Go down
triplepar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am

Duval_S wrote:
With all the technology , gadgets etc that helps one to hit longer, I will like to share one tip which I learnt during my most recent golf lesson.

The lesson was conducted by non other than Ray Floyd....the 'stare' at ard 11pm our time ......done thru golf channel

Here is the tip which I intend to use for my driver: lift my left heel during takeaway.

If nt mistaken zx does that. Anybody else? Comments?

I do that. Contrary to what everyone else tells me, I find that lifting my left heel gives me straighter and better controlled drives. I think the secret is in the final extension of the left leg just before impact. I'm standing on my pivot axis which is my left leg and it does not matter how I sway or move before that. And with the extra momentum, I can turn my hips faster. I do the left heel thingy with all my clubs except the wedges.
Back to top Go down
triplepar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:46 am

Here's a link to an article that I've found that explains it better than I can:
golftoday.co.uk/proshop/tuition/lesson7.htm
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 12:34 pm

It's not how you drive but how you arrive...

Hence, to me, it's more important to find the fairway then just to "bomb" away
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm not really convinced by the 'lifting the heel' tip. at least i don't think it's something that most people should try.

the reason is that lifting the heel will very often also result in the entire body moving upwards, rather than around the spine. this may result in inconsistent shots. in fact, if you observe beginner golfers, many of them instinctively lift their left heels in an attempt to generate more power. most of them also do not hit the ball very well.

perhaps the key is to make sure that there is minimal vertical motion, even as you lift your heel.

but at the end of the day, if it works for you, it works for you. just that it may not be something for most people....
Back to top Go down
triplepar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 pm

Yeah, agree that it may not work for others. I too thought that lifting the heel will cause an unwanted 'lift' initially, but this will not happen as long as the downswing is initiated by planting the left heel. I've checked against my videos and my head remains in position and my shoulders turn very smoothly. Takes some getting used to. I've tried closing my eyes completely on the downswing and the strike is still good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hitting it longer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hitting it longer   Hitting it longer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hitting it longer
Page 1 of 1