Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Seeking Iron advice

Go down 
+10
Duval_S
Slicer51
scottycollector
entity
Itsuki
DGman
bkll
simoner
ewyeo
beehome
14 posters
AuthorMessage
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

Seeking Iron advice Empty
PostSubject: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 3:45 pm

hi guys,

I need some advice and hope some of u guys can help.

I am a HC20 player. Play 2-3 times /mth. I am using a hand-me-down Mizuno T-Zoid iron set, graphite shaft..

My target for 2012 is to play in the 80s.

1) Is my present set too old? The distances are 100, 110, 120,130,140, 145 for P-5i I have difficulty hitting my 4i.
Is there a big difference in the newer Mizuno sets compare to my 10 years old T-Zoid?

2) Should I switch to a GI set? I tried the Callaway X-22 6i graphite and hit 145mtrs. Straight and much easier to hit than my T-Zoid.

All advice will be much apprecaited. Cheers!

Back to top Go down
ewyeo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Have you consider steel shaft? The thing with steel shaft it's cheaper and the distance control is more consistent but distance shorter.

Btw callaway X-series been always a very good iron set. If you want, I intend to sell my X-20 jap spec steel shaft R-flex.

PM me if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 10:17 pm

If you already a HC20, 2 cents worth is that you should go see a club fitter to see what's best for you. Its more accurate and not second guess.

End of the day, golf clubs are a very "personal" thing.
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 11:49 pm

chances are that loft and lie of the set are no longer within specs after 10 years. That is my excuse for getting a new set. Will it make a diff to ur score? Don't know but getting new toys is part of the fun in this game Smile
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 12:09 am

sorry bkll....

i was getting quite indifferent to playing golf for a while now. don't really want to go and play golf at a golf course thats 7 minutes from where i live.

ever since my new driver, irons and wedges, i am looking forward to golf on the weekends again.

so bkll, you are quite right there, getting some new stuff once in a while, inspires and refreshes you to play better golf.

DGman

PS......this is my personal opinion and not a professional one. this weekend i have added a new item to the arsenal.....my prototype golf bag.

Seeking Iron advice 6307433105_cda03e71f2_z
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 12:23 am

Nice bag DGman.... Stim!!!! Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 12:41 am

dear all,

thank you for all your valuable advice.

at the moment, i am keeping an open mind = don't know what to do lah!

Steel shaft - some frens told me tt my clubhead speed is not fast enuf to handle steel. And also I want to increase distance.

Simoner's advice is also very good. Thks

DGman - do I hv to make an appt with u b4 coming down to BFG?

I together agree tt changing stuff occassionally refreshes things. Thks again.

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 7:38 pm

to keep refreshing myself, i have added yet new arsenal to see if it will improve my chances at the dreadful Classic tomorrow.

sp here at the new stuff...

Seeking Iron advice 6599605765_68a2d4fd5f_z

Seeking Iron advice 6599606101_a8e5f1bfa7_z

DGman

Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 9:57 pm

Laguna World Classic? Man that place is daunting...never a flat lie, never a straight putt.

You have the (black hex-shaped) balls to take it on though...have fun! Razz

DGman wrote:
to keep refreshing myself, i have added yet new arsenal to see if it will improve my chances at the dreadful Classic tomorrow.

DGman

Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 10:04 pm

beehome i think you should definitely go for a swing analysis. either at bfg or other golf fitter. in that way you can know for sure what ur swing speed is and what shaft is compatible. don't rely on other's comments that your swing speed is not fast enough for steel (no offence to your frens).

you should also note that there are many different models of steel shafts, some which are pretty light weight - eg nspro 850 and KBS 90. in that way, you can still get the benefit of consistency, control & feedback in a steel shaft without going much heavier than graphite.

From my personal experience, I also started out with graphite shafts, but I eventually switched to steel as it gives me better control and feedback, plus I didn't lose any distance.

At the end of the day, regardless of what people / the swing analysis computer tells you, you need to ask yourself what you feel most comfortable with. As such, my final point is that you should not make a hasty decision after one swing analysis session. Rather, either rent / borrow a demo club from the club fitter, which is fitted with the recommended shaft, and take it to the range and the course for a couple of weeks. Alternatively, just buy the 7iron first. in that way, you won't be stuck with a bad decision.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 10:39 pm

DGman wrote:
..my prototype golf bag.

Seeking Iron advice 6307433105_cda03e71f2_z

Hi Eric,

You did say " prototype " right ? I felt the white color slightly over power. BFG logo too small. Need more excitement playing with the color.

It is just my own opinion. Allot might not agree with me. Sorry lol!
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 12:43 am

hi scottycollector,

thks for ur valuable advice. i am a person who VALUE HONEST opinions and do not take offence easily. Ur advice is very helpful n very much appreciated.

I did not noe tt i can just buy 1 iron or rent a demo set - this info really helps.

I am really new in this area abt eqpt bcos I hv only been using hand-me-downs from frenz. Everything I noe is from frenz hearsay. It is like the blind leading the blind up to now.

Been playing 4 years. 6 mths ago i was still hitting in the high 90s. Finally decided to take lessons and now playing to HC20. I believe I can achieve 80s hence seeking advice now.

Very likely I will hv my swing analyse n than take it from there.

Once again, thank you scottycollector and everyone who has replied to my post.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:10 pm

thank you for your opinion Steve...i will show you why logo don't have to be big because everyone else is big....believe me the small logo will grow on you.

here's the bag in action at the Classic.

Seeking Iron advice 6604935569_9c14e10de8_z

its a pretty nice layout and one can shoot some nice numbers there, like a fat lady anytime and even on par 3. it will teach you how to perfect your bunker shots too....cos there are many opportunities.

just finished a round where the single handicapper shot a 103 and he is still chirpy. sometimes its hard to see the fairway but its there.

Seeking Iron advice 6604934153_12307b2014_z

from the green to tee...if you think warren has undulating greens, this one has more and on every hole.

Seeking Iron advice 6604934337_54f96549d6_z

Happy 2012 to everyone.

DGman
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:24 pm

The guy in red looks damm familiar
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:33 pm

Hahahhahaha. His signature hat!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:39 pm

the one who shoot 103 is not TSS but the famous Kampong Chicken...looks like got to enlarged the compound liao.

DGman

this is why golf is so addictive...170 meters island green no bail out...easiest birdie of the day.

Seeking Iron advice 6604936009_9044955f62_z

i was surprised that they even have carts going around offering free food for the golfers on course.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:46 pm

This type of putting distance I scared....
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 11:13 pm

Dgman, Is this the 2xx++ Par3 that Tiger use a 2i to have 1 one?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 10:45 am

no this is not the one. the other one was playing 180++ meters yesterday.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Seems like beautiful day for golf, and look at the winds blowing the flag....

Great shot, both by club and camera.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 12:24 pm

club was a BFG CB003 - 6 iron with i95 SF in stepped down S flex. camera is a starhub subscribed iphone 4. cameraman you know who....

happy 2012 everyone and Panji i hope you have found the accommodation near the desired school.

DGman
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Happy new year Eric...just finished my move...love the new place but now further away from siglap. Will Eat ard TgKatong more

My one piece of advice for the TS, buy forged and get the fitting experience. Can adjust lie and feel more shiok. many friendly forged irons ard these days: Adams A12, Bridgestone J series, Big Fish CB, Cally Razr Forged, Cobra S3, Mizzy JPX, Miura PP.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 1:11 pm

thks pushslice,

much appreciated.

A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL GRs!.....more birdies,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeking Iron advice   Seeking Iron advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seeking Iron advice
Page 1 of 1