Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Shaft Spine Alignment

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JynxControl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf Shaft Spine Alignment Empty
PostSubject: Golf Shaft Spine Alignment   Golf Shaft Spine Alignment I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Sincerely apologise if this topic has been posted before.

I used to align my shafts with their spine at the 9 o'clock position. I recently read online that the shaft would perform the best with its spine aligned at the 12 o'clock position. Do the clubfitters in this forum have any views on this? Perhaps DGman? Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shaft Spine Alignment   Golf Shaft Spine Alignment I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 9:55 pm

at 9 o'clock its the natural bend point. we do this for irons. some will refer to this as the FLO position (in most cases when you put a laser at this position, you are likely to get the most consistent Flat Line Oscillation)

as for most of the higher end after-market shaft, most of them (with exceptions) are tuned at the neutral position (12 o'clock) or what some will term as OFL (Optimised Flex Line), its a term that manufacturer will use.

as for the after market shaft, different companies/shafts have different mandrel (its got to do with the way they roll the sheets to form the shaft).

MRC and Tour Ads with logo down are at the OFL position while Matrix as i recall is at the FLO position.

when we build a set of irons (steel) we normally build everything at FLO to get a consistent impact feel. in most cases we have 3 to 9 iron at FLO and PW downwards at OFL.

for putters we do usually have them in OFL or 3 o'clock if the shaft appears to be too soft.

i am sure there are many views online and its not something that will concern a golfer unless he or she is very sensitive but for driver shaft it can be quite a big difference.

when we manufactured the BFG Graman and the Proto K, we have strict instruction to get the shaft and logo alignment in the OFL position. the reason was when we got the first prototype it was all black and after trying different positions, we found that the OFL was the most consistent position and this was confirmed by independent shaft profile assessment.

as for the average golfer, do not get suck in too much by all this, there is difference but IMHO not enough to pull out a new set of shaft to get it spined and realigned...

DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shaft Spine Alignment   Golf Shaft Spine Alignment I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Or can be like me, whilst changing shaft, good peeps at BFG "spined" it for me before "poking" em in. Not that I can feel the difference, but it use is good to know that sometimes we get a bit of "special" with no extra costs cheers
Back to top Go down
wl71
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
wl71

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shaft Spine Alignment   Golf Shaft Spine Alignment I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:51 am

DGman, I recently got fitted for a Proto K on my R11, but forgot to inform you that I usually switch to (-1*) to bring the loft down to 9.5*... so now the shaft is around 10 o'clock (or is it 2 o'clock?) position.

Am I hitting the R11 with less-than-optimal shaft performance?

Although the grip and shaft graphics are now off-centre, I think perhaps i can live with this for the time being... if performance is not affected.

Razz

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shaft Spine Alignment   Golf Shaft Spine Alignment I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:56 am

will be more than happy to re-align this for you at no charge....if you are sensitive, you might feel and see a difference......DGman
Back to top Go down
wl71
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
wl71

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shaft Spine Alignment   Golf Shaft Spine Alignment I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 10:00 am

Thank you, will find time to drop by! Smile
Back to top Go down
JynxControl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shaft Spine Alignment   Golf Shaft Spine Alignment I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 10:48 am

DGman wrote:
at 9 o'clock its the natural bend point. we do this for irons. some will refer to this as the FLO position (in most cases when you put a laser at this position, you are likely to get the most consistent Flat Line Oscillation)

as for most of the higher end after-market shaft, most of them (with exceptions) are tuned at the neutral position (12 o'clock) or what some will term as OFL (Optimised Flex Line), its a term that manufacturer will use.

as for the after market shaft, different companies/shafts have different mandrel (its got to do with the way they roll the sheets to form the shaft).

MRC and Tour Ads with logo down are at the OFL position while Matrix as i recall is at the FLO position.

when we build a set of irons (steel) we normally build everything at FLO to get a consistent impact feel. in most cases we have 3 to 9 iron at FLO and PW downwards at OFL.

for putters we do usually have them in OFL or 3 o'clock if the shaft appears to be too soft.

i am sure there are many views online and its not something that will concern a golfer unless he or she is very sensitive but for driver shaft it can be quite a big difference.

when we manufactured the BFG Graman and the Proto K, we have strict instruction to get the shaft and logo alignment in the OFL position. the reason was when we got the first prototype it was all black and after trying different positions, we found that the OFL was the most consistent position and this was confirmed by independent shaft profile assessment.

as for the average golfer, do not get suck in too much by all this, there is difference but IMHO not enough to pull out a new set of shaft to get it spined and realigned...

DGman

Thanks much for the sharing DGman. I didn't know that irons and woods should be aligned differently. Just have a last query - I have an aftermarket tour ad di shaft with the spine line premarked at the logo position, so does this mean the OFL position is logo up or logo down or there's no difference? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shaft Spine Alignment   Golf Shaft Spine Alignment I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 10:53 am

logo up for left handers or logo down for right handers.....with tour ad its OFL......
Back to top Go down
JynxControl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shaft Spine Alignment   Golf Shaft Spine Alignment I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shaft Spine Alignment   Golf Shaft Spine Alignment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Shaft Spine Alignment
Page 1 of 1