Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing Empty
PostSubject: Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing   Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:01 am

We all have "natural" swings. The problem is, a natural swing produces a slice. That's because the homonculus, the part of the brain that controls motor movement, sees the hands as the largest part of your anatomy. When you're a baby you're constantly moving your hands away from your body so you can explore things in your environment. Now, when the day comes to play golf, the instinct to move your hands away from you really takes over. On the downswing the hands move away from the body too soon, out toward the target line, and you end up cutting across the ball from out to in.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing   Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks for the pertinent post, bro TDO.

You mean homunculus, I think.

Imagine telling this guy, "Don't start the downswing with YOUR HANDS! Shift and turn your hips instead!"

Sensory and Motor Models in our brain

Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing 6a00e550177092883400e5529cc5588834-800wi2

We FEEL with this.

Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing Motor_2

We SWING with this.

Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing Motor_1

No wonder my hips are not in sync with my hands.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing   Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:00 pm

I like to keep my right elbow tucked in to my rib cage (as long as I can hold) to fight my natural outside path. It helps keeping my plane a bit flatter going back as well.

Inspired by pics of Matt Kuchar from Golfdigest.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing   Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Lee36328 wrote:

Yes, wrong spelling. Smile Thanks for correction. My English isn't that good, especially with complicated words. Come to think of it, Bob is probably right. I remember from the 1st time I hit a golf ball back in 1995, my ball will slice quite a bit. tongue
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing   Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 1:18 am

TDO wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:

Yes, wrong spelling. Smile Thanks for correction. My English isn't that good, especially with complicated words. Come to think of it, Bob is probably right. I remember from the 1st time I hit a golf ball back in 1995, my ball will slice quite a bit. tongue

No worries about the spelling. Your English is fine. The meaning of the message speaks for itself and shines through. Great sharing.
Back to top Go down
triplepar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing   Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 am

pushslice wrote:
I like to keep my right elbow tucked in to my rib cage (as long as I can hold) to fight my natural outside path. It helps keeping my plane a bit flatter going back as well....
I do that too. I find it very useful to 'tie' the right arm to the body. Firstly, the only way to swing harder is to turn my hips and shoulders faster, which is good. Secondly, as the right arm can't drop lower or extend further, I can't duff or top the ball. Great for those iron and wood shots that I really need to rip them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing   Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bob Toski Saying - Natural Swing
Page 1 of 1