Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee Empty
PostSubject: 3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee   3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 12:48 am

This review is for the 3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee (Holeinonegolfing)
(Reviewed on 30th June 2009 by Rocky)

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0003

Company Profile [http://www.holeinonegolfing.com/]
"Established in 2004, Hole in One golfing Inc has spent years researching, developing and testing an ultimate performance tee what would help golfers of all abilities to consistently hit longer and straighter off the tee. The result: The 3P Performance Tee."
The company has introduced these revolutionary tees to the Asian and LPGA tour professionals. Recently, they have also acquired the services of David Leadbetter. Now, "David Leadbetter is now the spokesperson of this revolutionary new performance tee: the 3P Leadbetter Performance Tee."

The Contents
The package contains 4 tees. 3 of which are Practice Tees and 1 Tournament Tee. The practice tees come in a holster which fits conveniently to your belt. 2 plastic ball markers and an instructional CD are also included in the package.

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0005

Practice Tees: How to use
The Practice Tees can rotate in a 360 degree manner. Tee up the ball and line up the arrow down the desired target line. Go through your pre-shot routine and hit the ball. After that, pick up the tee to see where the tee is bent towards. If the tee bends left, you probably made an outside-to-in swing. If the tee bends right, you probably made an inside-to-out swing. The desired position is for the tee to move slightly forward.
Practice tees, as the name suggests, are used during training and not suitable for competition or tournament use.

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0013

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0014

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0016

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0018

Tournament Tees: How to use
Tournament Tees are a little different from other ordinary tees. It uses 3 prongs to support the ball and is supposed to reduce the friction off the ball. This tee is a lot more durable than traditional wooden or plastic tees.

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0011

The Scoop
In our local Singapore context, this product is of little use. This is because in Singapore, 90% of the driving ranges use artificial mats. Therefore, there is no way to place one of these practice tees into the mats. To my knowledge, I know there is a product that acts as an adapter for wooden tees but I have never seen them before.
In short, the only places that I know that you could actually use these tees are Turf Club Driving Range off Bukit Timah Road and Seletar Driving Range (which apparently has closed down.) Therefore the next best place would be to bring it to the greens.

Off the tee-box
3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DSC03541
I used the practice tee for 2 holes before I gave up trying to align the tee. You can never get it completely upright! When you think that it is straight, you take a step back and it looks slanted again. My first tee shot was a terrible slice. But when I picked up the tee, the tee was bending to the front as if to indicate I hit it straight. My second shot was struck well and the tee was pointing straight. However, the actual shot was a slight fade.

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DSC03539
The Tournament tee was fine. I have used it for 2 rounds and it is as good as new. No noticeable increase in distance or whatsoever. I must confess that I do not tee it off every hole. The reason is that I am a little uncomfortable with the 3 prong design. I feel that plastic scratches the face of my driver, although I have no evidence for that. Also, I like to break tees. Razz
But for those of you who like super-durable tees, you can consider these.

Durability
On the topic of durability, the question beckons. Of the materials plastic, bamboo, wood, which material produces the most durable tees? So far, from my limited experience, the list goes like this: Bamboo as the strongest, followed by wood and finally plastic.
I dislike plastic because, firstly, I think it scratches my driver club face. Secondly, when it snaps, the tee splits into many shrapnel and may have sharp edges. So far bamboo has proven to be the most resilient of the lot. However they are also more expensive.
Before I end this section, I know there are people that swear by the Brush Tee. I suppose that is also very durable but I have not tried them myself.

Tee holster
3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0027

At first sight, the holster looked intimidating. Someone even commented that it looked like some "rocket missile". Unfortunately, the tees and the holster serve nothing more than intimidate your opponents. The design of the tee holster is rather cumbersome. It does incorporate a belt clip but if you actually try clipping it, the prongs of the tees are pretty sharp and will poke you. Ouch!

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0024

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0026

Ball marker
These are 2 pieces of plastic, nothing noteworthy.

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0030

Instructional VCD
The instructional VCD has David Leadbetter himself tell you how to use this product.

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0034

Value for money
One of these packs can get you two large bags of normal wooden tees.

Summary
As far as the Performance Tees go, the Tournament tee was fine. It is one of the more durable tees that I have used and performs similar to normal tees. The Practice Tee, on the other hand, is difficult to align and may not reflect the true swing characteristics. The holster for the tees was a clumsy design at best. All in all, if you are looking for durable tees, you might as well be looking somewhere else.

3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee DLPerformanceTees_0009

Credits
Thanks to FrosTEE for the opportunity
Thanks to my Dad for picking up the tees at FrosTEE's previous work place.

Who is David Leadbetter?
David Leadbetter is widely regarded as the "father of the modern golf swing and coach to countless PGA Tour, European PGA Tour, LPGA Tour and Champions Tour players, is known throughout the world for his innovative and creative teaching techniques." His most famous students include Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, Nick Price, Ernie Els and Trevor Immelman.
His coaching "spanned three decades and he has often been recognized as the man who invented the golf instruction industry." David Leadbetter Golf Academies are strategically located in 13 countries around the world. Each of the 30 facilities feature state-of-the-art equipment to improve the golfers game. His products range from swing trainers, putting aids, swing weights, training grips, training gloves, instructional books, DVDs and even board games.

For more on David Leadbetter
David Leadbetter Golf: http://davidleadbetter.com/
David Leadbetter Golf Academy: http://www.leadbetter.com
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Leadbetter_(golf_instructor)
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: 3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee   3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:18 am

Another awesome review. Great job, rocky!!
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: 3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee   3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Where can I find this in Singapore and the damage?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: 3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee   3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 6:27 pm

Thanks Technospaz.

22tang: Please PM FrosTEE. I got it from her.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: 3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee   3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks Very Happy

rocky wrote:
Thanks Technospaz.

22tang: Please PM FrosTEE. I got it from her.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee   3P David Leadbetter Performance Tee I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1