Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) Empty
PostSubject: Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive)   Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 11:15 pm

Folks,
I just wanna share my experience with you, when I played at the Jack Nicklaus designed Mission Hills Phuket, in my recent trip to Phuket. It was a Monday afternoon and I pretty much had the entire course to the wife and I.

Here is a picture of the clubhouse. It looks fine and dandy.
Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) Phuket2011006
I did not take a picture of the pro shop but it is very well stocked on its Puma line of apparel and accessories. Thankfully, I am not a Ricky Fowler wanna be... else... the wallet will suffer!

Here are a couple of pictures of the course while we wait for lunch to be prepared
Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) Phuket2011004
Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) Phuket2011005

BTW, food is nice, we had thai shrimp cake as starters, a sandwich, Thai fried rice, and ice cold coconut. Price is equivalent to what you pay in SG club house.

I was cautioned to keep my expectations low on the course condition. If you go to http://phuket.com/ you can check out the Golf section and book return transfer, plus green fee, plus caddy fee. So, I just need to pay 700bhat for golf cart (one per golfer to be shared with your caddy) and recommended tip is 400 bhat as a min (about S$16)

Anyway, a view of the first hole from the wide friendly fairway
Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) Phuket2011008
. Thankfully I found the centre of the fairway with a decent drive. btw, everything is measured in yards here

Here is a close up picture of my ball sitting in the middle of the 'fairway'
Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) Phuket2011009
it is a shame, they let all these type of grass overrun the fairway, so there will be patches where the ball is sitting down and not sitting up. I feel that it is unfair as I expect the ball to be sitting up to reward good drives. After all, this is a resort type of golf course. Anyway, the fairway is firm and dry, and I noticed my ball runs more than what I get in SG courses

Greens? they are slow... not as bad as OCC type of slow greens... but they can trim down the grass a bit more to speed up the greens. I took a while to get used to the green speed. You can still stroke the ball, just down expect the ball to roll that much. Here is a close up of my ball on the green
Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) Phuket2011013

One characteristic of this course is the liberal use of waste bunkers that the golf cart can drive in. But regardless if it is waste bunkers or green side bunkers or fairway bunkers, they are hard-panned, compact sand. You cannot open your club face to blast the ball as the bounce of the wedge will bounce off the hard sand and thinned your ball. You need to clip the ball cleanly... They got a lot of work to do replacing the sand. I can even see the drainage pipe at the base of many sand bunkers... it is that bad. I didn't take any pics of the bunkers, cos IMHO, its FUGLY!

The course is very scenic. At times, the backdrop is stunning with mountains and oceans in the background
Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) Phuket2011012
The way the course is laid out reminds me of Jack Nicklaus' Seaview Course at Bintan Lagoon for certain holes

How did I fair? I played off blue tees, well, I started ok... then there was a 15mins rain delay after 5 holes and blew 3 holes... I ended my front nine with a score of 51. I steadied the ship in the back nine and got a respectable 43 (by my standards lah!) Missed many putts due to the slow green. But since it is the first time for me playing this course, I only take away the positives.
Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) Scorecard

Overall, it is a good experience playing golf in Phuket. I wish the course condition is better to do justice on the great layout that Jack Nicklaus has designed. The staff are all very friendly and polite, taking care of your every needs. Perhaps the next trip, I'll take on the Red Mountain course which many who played there has nothing, but good things to say about that course. I hoped you enjoyed the pics.
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

PostSubject: Re: Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive)   Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi guys,

Just to add on to this post, I had a game here last weekend.

Booked through an agent.

Package includes green fee + caddy fee + Round trip transfer (hotel - golf course - hotel) = 4,350 Baht
Buggy fee = 700 Baht
Caddy Tip = 500 Baht
Total = 5,550 Baht ( ~ S$220 )

The course is very flat compared to Red Mountain; ala links style, with some holes sharing greens. The par 5s are not that long from blue, but they require a precise 2nd shot if you are going for the green in 2. I was quite glad that they allow buggy on fairways, as the sun was getting hotter in Phuket now (though not as hot as Singapore). Overall, I find the course not at all, with the service provided by the staff top notched. I'll definitely return to play there again if I'm back golfing in Phuket.

Below are some pics

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) 59031aa5-8765-43f6-900c-66dfb3b2a8c0_zpsf17a1507

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) Ed3d00df-197e-4f03-8784-dd0d44acba91_zps6b2acadd

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) 20140322_102815_zps7e430e30

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) 20140322_083428_zps8e839a49

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) 20140322_081540_zps044413cd

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) 20140322_080518_zpsf1084535

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) 20140322_075755_zpsd83860fa

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) 20140322_075338_zps71c9c014

Oh ya. Some additional info.

If you are staying in Patong, or Kamala beach area (west side Phuket), it'll take you about an hour to get to the course which is on the eastern side of Phuket.
But good thing is that you can finish your game very fast! Since the course spreads out like a flower, you can easily skip a hole if you're stuck behind flights, and easily get back to it later. Coupled with the fact that it was buggy on fairway, we managed to finish our game in 2hr and 50 mins! My fastest record time ever for a full 18 holes!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive)   Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 6:13 pm

condition appears to be better now compared to couple years back when i lasr played there.

nice pics

thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
melv
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
melv

PostSubject: Re: Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive)   Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 4:11 pm

It's indeed very nice... Think well maintained too..
I went there 3weeks ago with my boy as follower..
Nice, friendly caddie..
Wish I can go there again.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive)   Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks for sharing. Nice!
Make me want to go holiday again. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
jdyap
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive)   Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 2:16 am

My friends and I were there during the May 1 holidays and that was our 4th golf game (after Loch Palm. Red Mountain, Phuket Country Club) and I really enjoyed this course. Nice deisgn, challenging, and some interesting hole design. I would love to back again when I get a chance to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive)   Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review of Mission Hills Phuket (Long Post & Picture Intensive)
Page 1 of 1