Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?

Go down 
+4
pushslice
tronos
nutty88
Technospaz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? Empty
PostSubject: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 11:18 am

On the 6th play off hole at the Frys.com Open, it looked like Bryce Molder tampered with or plucked out some grass (2:37) and tapped the green on his putt line (2:43) in the video below. The footage is raw but sufficient to see the above.

Is this allowed?

This should not detract from his awesome play and killer clutch putts throughout the final day including his ultra-brave shot from the hazard onto the green.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 11:41 am

Doesn't look like a pulling action leh. More like brushing off some stuff?

Anyway, I also saw his fellow competitor "ironing" the glass just in front of his ball marker in one of the playoff holes.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 2:00 pm

though anything can to clear or repair (not modify) except repair own pitch mark (before the putt)

Some courses here got lots of leaves and twigs on the green..some got lots of sands, like mini mountains...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 2:07 pm

btw, I have a habit of repairing any pitch mark I see (not just mine). You know there are lot. Hate it when people dont fix 'em. Is that allowed, rules wise?
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 3:11 pm

I saw Liang during the Singapore Open couple of years back against Ernie Els. He pick up and tap the grass on his line of putt. Also saw other players did the same. So think its ok
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 pm

evry time before i putt, i see a ball mark or pitch mark on my ball line, i will go repair it...now, is that allow cos it is like improving the putting line....any pros want to elaborate? i notice some of the tournaments on Golf Channel doing that too...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 3:38 pm

From what I can see from Rule 16-1c, you are allowed to repair any pitchmark (specifically damage to the green caused by imapct from the golf ball) on the green, even your own. Also, you are allowed to repair old hole plugs.

Tronos, just wondering why you said you cannot repair your own pitchmark?
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Derek wrote:
From what I can see from Rule 16-1c, you are allowed to repair any pitchmark (specifically damage to the green caused by imapct from the golf ball) on the green, even your own. Also, you are allowed to repair old hole plugs.

To add to Derek's comment & on a separate note, if your caddy marks your ball he / she is supposed to place the ball back at the spot where the ball was marked & not hand the ball to you to place and align ~ this would incur a 1 shot penalty.

Its ok if we're in a social round but a NO NO if playing in a tournament........
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Derek wrote:

did some googling, think 1 read something somewhere long time ago, did not understand it and that wrong 'rule' stuck with me....apparently i misunderstood a lot of rulings.....make a difference when u read the rule when first staring out and now after playing a while....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 9:58 pm

But Bryce was tapping on his putt line - how is that repairing a pitch mark?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?   Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was what Bryce Molder did at the Frys.com Open (6th Play Off Hole) allowed?
Page 1 of 1