Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long is your tool?

Go down 
+12
Right_sided_coach
daveaha
Lamts18
mervyntan
S70B
weesern
freedrop
DGman
sunny
Technospaz
mUAr_cHEe
ughly
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ughly
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ughly

How long is your tool? Empty
PostSubject: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 3:56 am

Hi all,

Just a question, how long is your putter and how tall are you?

I am 180 and am using a 34" putter. But i feel it is too long as i bend quite low to achieve eye over ball. When i used my coach's 32" putter, it felt alot better.

My friends have commented that i look quite odd in that stance, and the uncle whom i asked to cut my putter for me REFUSED! saying that i should adjust my stance and the way i put.

am i really that weird? Care to share how tall you are and how long your putter is?

Zi An
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 4:44 am

Zi An.. i so likey u already. controversial topic statement... but serious matter discussed.

anyway just to join in.. i am 178cm or 5'10". I am using a 35" putter comfortably.

it is a very subjective topic. i guess it is just the different ways that each of us address the ball or the putting stance that we adopt.

which uncle did u go to cut your tool?

just to add on. my irons are bend 1° upright and 1/2" longer.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:25 am

Zi An. I'm also about 180 and using a 34" putter. Earlier, I was adamant that I should be using a 35" putter but I spoke with DGMan and he analyzed my putting stroke and stance, and *shock* recommended a 33.5" putter instead. I stuck with my 34" and have been quite happy since.

Key takeaways:

1. Height and putter-length aren't always related (i.e. the taller the person doesn't always mean that he or she will need a longer putter).

2. It all boils down to your comfort level when you putt. If you feel uncomfortable using a short putter, then perhaps it's not right for you. However, don't let what others say influence you. It should be how you personally feel.

3. Get yourself fitted for a putter. Check with DGMan to see if he can help.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:10 am

Many pga tour players are using 32 or 33 and there are tall. Go figure. Putting is all about comfort and confidence. The correct stance is the one that get the ball in the hole
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:22 am

some of you may have recall Pradig Harrington old putting stance. he was not making a lot of money cos he was not balanced at address, alot of body stress as we call it. since changing to a more upright stance, he has begin to putt better and winning more.

how long or how short is your putter is something that we can only know after getting fitted, its definitely not dependable on your height (don't forget the length of your arms and your stance).

a putter with the right length allows you to set up better and hence produce better results.

did i mentioned that whether you are right or left master eye is influential in where you should place your ball in the putting stroke? there's more to putting than just getting the right putter head, putter length, swing weight, total weight and type of grip.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:29 am

DGM,

Where shall a player put his ball if he is cock-eyed?
My dominant eye is right eye, so I use my right eye to final-check my breaks, and place my ball under my right eye.

But I have a friend who is cock-eyed, and I don't know what to say to him
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:37 am

if you are right eye your ball should be place nearer to the left foot. i don't think you have a problem with your putting...

cockeye still got master eye mah. ask him to do the rifle aiming drill to establish his master eye.

again there are different perimeters, what type of putter is he using, how long, where is his arm hanging position at address...

its not something that we can demonstrate with words here...

DGman
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:41 am

how about left master eye?? more to right??
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 am

just around or off centre...the type of hosel neck and offset do play a part in the set up.

DGman
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:22 am

DGMan, I wonder whether SC putters (once cut, e.g. my 34" to 33.5"/33") would play funny because the weight distribution may now be imbalanced due to the shorter shaft length.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:30 am

Jason,

we can always add weight or change to a lighter grip...or change the weight port if its Studio Select.

you can check the swing weight before and after to get the same swing weight.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:37 am

Dun worry about SW Jason. My current SC gamer was only 310g or so becos it was re-finished. DGman did some miracles and I also slapped on quite abit of lead tape. Its around 330g and plays to a D2 now.

34" btw.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:51 am

You guys should go pick up 'The Art Of Putting' by Stan Utley. His method of rolling your putts make alot of sense to me. He's not overly technical like Dave Pelz and I have adopted more of his methods when I am here. The way you grip the putter, stance and eye position really makes alot of difference with distance control and aim.

There is also a chapter on how to get a putter fit in it.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:27 am

Wow! Thanks - I'll drop by the Den to have my tool checked out. That sounds way too nasty for public consumption.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Wow! Thanks - I'll drop by the Den to have my tool checked out. That sounds way too nasty for public consumption.

well, at least you don't go to the den to check people's tools... i have spent countless hours in the storeroom.. sigh...
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:50 pm

mervyntan wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

well, at least you don't go to the den to check people's tools... i have spent countless hours in the storeroom.. sigh...

Storeroom ... make sure enough ventilation .... Razz
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 4:37 pm

I also want to check, how do you guys choose between mallet and blade type of putters ? I know some people say it's personal, but what's the reason behind that choice ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Generally with our RSS putting, we use a longer putter than most. Maybe up to 36 or 37". The reason is we like to create good posture in our back so the shoulders DO NOT rock up and down in a pendulum motion. We prefer an arc stroke controlled by the arms. We encourage a single lever system with the arms

How long is your tool? Coless12

If your shoulders are too rounded and eyes over the ball, this will encourage a straight back, straight through stroke as in a pendulum type stroke

Our players will generally have the eyes on the inside of the ball, not over the ball as most would. This is also to encourage the stroke to be more of an arc.

How long is your tool? Coless10

Generally we need to flatten our players putters lie angle to accommodate the extra length and we also add some loft as we like to see the shaft leaning slightly forward towards the target.

How long is your tool? Coless11

We believe the putt is like any other shot you play in golf so we set up or body with the same angles as our swing.
The nett result is hitting your putts with true loft and a great roll.
The pendulum creates too much movement in the body and changes the loft on the putter
A short putter will get you rounded in the shoulders, your putter will deloft on the back swing and then have to reloft on the way back to impact - which can be a little inconsistent
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:43 pm

S70B wrote:
You guys should go pick up 'The Art Of Putting' by Stan Utley. His method of rolling your putts make alot of sense to me. He's not overly technical like Dave Pelz and I have adopted more of his methods when I am here. The way you grip the putter, stance and eye position really makes alot of difference with distance control and aim.

There is also a chapter on how to get a putter fit in it.

Agumon just promise to lend me his Stanley Utley DVD so that i can get a clearer perspective...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:48 pm

daveaha wrote:
I also want to check, how do you guys choose between mallet and blade type of putters ? I know some people say it's personal, but what's the reason behind that choice ?

try a bullseye putter and then try a mallet...the give you different confidence level. try different types of offset and find one that you are most comfortable, then confident at set up.

last but not least make sure you don't feel tired or uneasy looking at the putter head. remember you got to stare at the head for more than 30 times in a round.

i personally can use a SRT three ball but i get very tired looking a a frying pan after 3 holes.

DGman
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:50 pm

daveaha wrote:

I had experienced both mallet and blade...guess like most aspiring golfer.....my personal view-only:

From feel standpoint..blade is good. the problem with blade is I am not consistent squaring on impact...so I can read line all i wan...but when putt...sure off line

Now..mallet...very reluctant becos not good at lagging...but after 2 outings on course, lagging improve....will go with this..becos of the fact...I hit the line where i am suppose to hit...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 pm

mervyntan wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

What you do in your private time is your biz, MT Razz
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:23 pm

i looking for Stan Utley book too .... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Mr Lam, I think can find in Kino or Borders. If they don't have, you can order in.

Its a slim book compared to Dave Pelz's ones but easy to digest for me.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:29 pm

S70B wrote:
Mr Lam, I think can find in Kino or Borders. If they don't have, you can order in.

Its a slim book compared to Dave Pelz's ones but easy to digest for me.

Thanks again , Rex ... been busy work and sick so have no time to go bookshop ... i will try Kino as well as borders ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long is your tool?   How long is your tool? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How long is your tool?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next