Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions

Go down 
+3
DGman
ironfist
solarpop
7 posters
AuthorMessage
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions Empty
PostSubject: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:39 pm

Hi all,

Would like some opinions from those in the know, or who have tried this before.

Assuming now i have a high launch driver head, with a stock high launch shaft, and i find that my ball flight is too high. If i fit it with a low launch shaft, will the combined effect lead to a lower launch angle? I guess the common sense answer is yes. If so, which has a greater effect on controlling the launch angle and ball flight? Club head design or shaft characteristics?

Now let's say shaft remains constant, and my driver loft is 10.5*, launch angle is 15*. If i change to a 9.5* head, will the launch angle reduce by roughly 1*? Or will it be exponential? Or negligible?

Driver loft will affect backspin. Again using the example of changing from 10.5* to 9.5*, how much reduction in backspin do i expect to get?

Look forward to hearing your views Smile
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 pm

interesting topic. i'm curious to know the answers too! sorry ah i'm too layman cannot answer any of them.

this also sounds like a job for the TRACKMAN.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:48 pm

High kick (low launch) shaft works best for those with club head speed of 100 mph. for those in under 100 to 90 moh range, i recommend a mid kick shaft.

again those below 90 mph club head speed may find a 10.5 driver a better choice.

if someone in the 85 mph with a 9.5 degree head is experiencing too high a launch, there could be several reasons, but the most common is the angle of attack.

so solarpop to answer your question...go to trackman thread.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:53 pm

to add on to eric point, i previously experienced this before...

i was hitting down on my drivers, which was causing the ball flight to be a little baloonish in headwind conditions..

on the launch monitor in BFG, i noticed that i was achieving very high spin rates, and thought to myself, "maybe i should change to a 8.5"

anyway, cut a long story short, i was positioning the ball too back in my stance, as well as hitting down on the driver, which was causing the huge spin rate.. the spin rate was so high that on the very few times that my drives actually finds the (correct) fairway, the ball mark was in front of the ball!! Very Happy

so, just to reinforce DGMAn's idea about angle of attack with an actual anecdote/story.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:56 pm

DGman wrote:

Wah, like that also can. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:56 pm

mervyntan wrote:

i was hitting down on my drivers, which was causing the ball flight to be a little baloonish in headwind conditions..

on the launch monitor in BFG, i noticed that i was achieving very high spin rates, and thought to myself, "maybe i should change to a 8.5"

anyway, cut a long story short, i was positioning the ball too back in my stance, as well as hitting down on the driver, which was causing the huge spin rate.. the spin rate was so high that on the very few times that my drives actually finds the (correct) fairway, the ball mark was in front of the ball!! Very Happy

so, just to reinforce DGMAn's idea about angle of attack with an actual anecdote/story.

How's your session with coach , MT ?
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:58 pm

mervyntan wrote:

eh.. you started work oredi ah...how come your post reeks of some "ass-kissing" elements; like need to reinforce other ppl's "idea/post"....hahaha albino
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:01 am

TSS.. what ass-kissing, i have been doing more than that for this bugger... i have been doing AR, BBBJ, HJ, SMLJ... for him..
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:02 am

Lamts18 wrote:
mervyntan wrote:

How's your session with coach , MT ?

very good, mr lam.. we are missing you.. please come by soon..
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:02 am

mervyntan wrote:
TSS.. what ass-kissing, i have been doing more than that for this bugger... i have been doing AR, BBBJ, HJ, SMLJ... for him..

ROFL ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:05 am

who8168 wrote:
DGman wrote:

Wah, like that also can. Suspect

how else can one answer spin rate and which other monitor can claim the same accuracy in data capture.

better still bring in your own r9 (9.5 and 10.5) and we can find out immediately with different type and flex of shaft.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:09 am

DGman wrote:
how else can one answer spin rate and which other monitor can claim the same accuracy in data capture.

better still bring in your own r9 (9.5 and 10.5) and we can find out immediately with different type and flex of shaft.

That's a great idea. Can try the R9 with different shafts, different face angles, etc. Would be interesting to see which configuration suits me best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions   Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drivers - Tweaking launch conditions
Page 1 of 1