Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swing Radar

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Swing Radar Empty
PostSubject: Swing Radar   Swing Radar I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I just bought a swing radar. It is from Inthehole.com
http://www.intheholegolf.com/SSRTT/view.html

I brought it out to the range yesterday to try and get the swing speed for my driver.
Initially I tried it without ball, only the rubber tee. It gives me reading around 75mph.
So I proceed to try with ball. The readings range from around 90mph to 119mph, averaging around 95mph.

I have 2 questions and hope someone can advise me.
1. Why is the swing speed so diff for with and without ball?
2. Why is my swing speed much higher when I contact the toe of the driver? (when I hit the toe, swing speed is always above 110mph, when I contact the sweet spot, its only around 95mph to 100mph)

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Swing Radar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Radar   Swing Radar I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 9:52 pm

There was an article I read, toe shots give more distance cos the toe side of the face is turning more at impact, so something to that effect. I stand corrected. But that's probably why ur Swing speed is more with toe shots
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

Swing Radar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Radar   Swing Radar I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 10:36 pm

skybobo wrote:

So I proceed to try with ball. The readings range from around 90mph to 119mph, averaging around 95mph.
I have 2 questions and hope someone can advise me.
1. Why is the swing speed so diff for with and without ball?
2. Why is my swing speed much higher when I contact the toe of the driver? (when I hit the toe, swing speed is always above 110mph, when I contact the sweet spot, its only around 95mph to 100mph)

The variance in swingspeed from 95mph to 119mph is way too much, i.e. if you are making normal driver swings. Its the difference between a fitting for a regular or x-stiff shaft!!!

Pocketface is correct, and the article he is referring to is actually a trackman newsletter. However, i dont recall the exact difference in swingspeed between a toe and heel hit, but it is definately not as much as you are witnessing!

The club is rotating through impact, and the toe rotates faster than the heel, causing a small difference in speed.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Swing Radar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Radar   Swing Radar I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Bro TourSwing, i only recorded 2 readings above 110mph and that is 115mph and 119mph.
Both readings are toe shot.....so I guess not vey accurate. That's why I'm asking this question Smile

For my normal shot, the swing speeed is always mid to high 90s....averaging 95mph. (occasional 100 to 105)

I normally hit my driver around 200 to 220m roll.
So is my swing speed of 95mph accurate?
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

Swing Radar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Radar   Swing Radar I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 12:13 am

Just the other day saw someone swinging with trackman measuring his swingspeed in the low - mid 90s with carry 205m and total 220m ... I think he was launching it at 11 - 12 deg with 3000 spin ... Too much info , but thought i'd share it with you Beer
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Swing Radar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Radar   Swing Radar I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 am

Swing Radar is a motion sensor, thats why its position at the impact area. the readings are far from accurate....period.

skybobo, can you share with us why you bought this? and what were you trying to achieve?

i just want to understand this from a golfer's perspective and what will motivates them to make such a purchase.

thank you for your time and your inputs.

DGman

TS - what you saw was a very optimised performance - 95 mph, 200+ carry and a spin rate of 3k to match. But i agree, golf is not about how fast you swing but how low you shoot.

Averagely, every 1 mph swing energy translate to about 2.5 yard of distance. so if you swing your driver at 95 mph, you should get 95 X 2.5 = 237.5 yard or 214 metres distance. The variance is the PTR or smash factor. releasing the power at the impact area will generate more ball speed and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Swing Radar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Radar   Swing Radar I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 11:45 am

Oh.. i have this toy at home too! hahahaa albino
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

Swing Radar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Radar   Swing Radar I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 12:42 pm

DGman wrote:

skybobo, can you share with us why you bought this? and what were you trying to achieve?
i just want to understand this from a golfer's perspective and what will motivates them to make such a purchase.

Back in the day I bought the medicus power meter, for the following reasons:
http://www.medicuspowermeter.com
- to find out my driver swing speed ... this was a long time before i even dreamed i'd have access to trackman (thank you BFG)
- to see how changes made to my swing at the driving range increased / decreased my swing speed
- to ensure i had a consistant swing with my irons

Only recently have i realized that a gizmo attached to the grip end of the club, and having no knowledge of when impact is made, is rather pointless/ misleading and a waste of $.

Having said that, it'd be great to have "something" that could accurately measure swingspeed, ballspeed, launch angles etc that one could have at the drving range while working on their swing. Let me know if BFG is disposing a trackman Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

Swing Radar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Radar   Swing Radar I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 12:47 pm

I do have a Zelocity ball flight monitor ... which is great!!!!

http://www.zelocity.com/golf/purecontact.shtml

Gives distance and ball speed readings, and in my case, very accurate!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Swing Radar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Radar   Swing Radar I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing Radar
Page 1 of 1