Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tip of the day

Go down 
+12
Gray
Kopi Towkay
jtek
Uncle Lau
Lamts18
S70B
siaw8
quinike
Duval_S
Technospaz
sunny
Right_sided_coach
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 6:06 pm

Learn to do very simple things, better and better instead of doing very complex things badly. Master the simple things (chipping, pitching) and the more complex will become easier (irons and woods)

Last edited by Right_sided_coach on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 6:16 pm

chipping isn't really that simple to me...hahahaha...bad short game.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 8:07 pm

sunny wrote:
chipping isn't really that simple to me...hahahaha...bad short game.

It should certainly be easier than hitting a 45 inch long driver with a full swing....lol
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 8:41 pm

I agree with the tip. The short game is where a lot of players (well, maybe just myself) have difficulty but I've been told time and time again that it's one of the easier aspects of golf to master. It just requires constant practice.

Many people that a good drive is important (and it is) but focus a lot of effort on mastering the longer clubs that they may neglect the shorter clubs.

This is a good reminder to go back to working on my chipping and pitching. Hopefully, with a strong base on the short clubs... the long clubs will be a little easier Smile
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Actually one question....does the type of ball matter in playing the chip...ie the amt of roll? Maybe it is just me being overly paranoid or too skewed in my understanding...but tot Tit-tit-less....(aka Nxt or ProV)...is best if one want the ball to stop quickly on green.....

Views????
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Actually one question....does the type of ball matter in playing the chip...ie the amt of roll? Maybe it is just me being overly paranoid or too skewed in my understanding...but tot Tit-tit-less....(aka Nxt or ProV)...is best if one want the ball to stop quickly on green.....

Views????

I would say that "YES," the type of ball matters.

However, for most amateur players (myself included), I don't think the it matters that much. Perhaps I'm wrong... since golf ball technology has significantly improved such that it helps any type of player. That said, I still believe otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 11:03 pm

Duval_S wrote:

Views????

The most important thing is the correct technique. Without that it doesn't matter what ball you use. Once your technique is ok, the ball is important. Not so much the brand of ball but you should find a ball that suits your game and that you like and then stick with that ball each time you play. I see alot of amateurs use 4 or 5 different brand of balls in a round. Whatever they can find in their bag or on the edge of the water hazards....lol. All balls are different and you will get a different amount of spin and feel from each type. So to be consistent, consistently using the same ball will help. Definitely your Pro v and more expensive balls will spin more, but they may not travel as far as some other cheaper balls. Also depends on your budget, swing speed, launch angle etc.
Back to top Go down
quinike
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 11:15 pm

eh sorry abit wrong topic .. but i second that using the right ball is important. there are premium balls going for not so premium prices... just went to Golf House and the TM Reds/Blacks are going for 35 bucks. for those on the fence on balls (cheap vs premium), just try 1 dozen and you'll find out whether or not it makes a difference in ur game Smile

get the reds though! they're illegal as the ball speed is too high. haha.
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 11:44 pm

hi quinike,

since we are on this topic. can u recommend some cheap and good balls? ever since i got poison by the precept utri tour, i realize that good balls does make a diff. Sadly, it is all out fo stock now
Back to top Go down
quinike
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 11:52 pm

cheap and good?

ok seriously go get the tp red/black 1 dozen each this weekend if its 34.98 dollars at golf house. i like the precept utri tour as well, but found that it cut too easily after a wedge shot and doesn't really last very long. the tps last longer Smile prov1s as well.

heard the old nike premium balls are going quite cheap too! the nike one platinums etc ... same ball that TW is using now.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 12:00 am

Last year's Nike One Black and Platinum are good too if there are leftovers. You can go 18 with 1 without much scuffings even if you are using Vokeys or other hardcore super duper deep-groove wedges.

I don't notice a lack of spin although its a tad harder than ProV1s.

I bought heaps of them last year in US because of this:

Nike One Contest
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 12:23 am

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Learn to do very simple things, better and better instead of doing very complex things badly. Master the simple things (chipping, pitching) and the more complex will become easier (irons and woods)

Thanks for the reminder Paul.... practicing hard now... trying hard not to give up golf, but if no choice, then i'll be caddy... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 9:20 am

If you became a Caddy.....i will became push a wheel cart and sell Ice Kacang by the golf course !

tongue
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 1:03 am

I agree that chipping does help to improve my swing and my games too.

I never break 110 before cos my short game sucks. Then I go range 3 times a week to chip 200 each then my short game improved (by a bit lah Smile) and i realise my swing gets better too!!!

But only problem is than my iron & wood shot suddenly gets higher... so high that my 7i can launch like a 56degree... and only land on the 80marker.. so sad... It use to be 120marker... dunno why??????
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 6:49 am

I'm not long off the tee or from the fairway. My aim is fine but my average GIR (not counting par 3s) is usually only 2 per side. So I have to count on reliable chipping to get me in game.

I'm an OK chipper. I know what I want to do, I take a few swings until I am confident I have the stroke I need, then step up and execute. I don't fart around looking at the club/ball once I make up my mind and that helps....but I also don't rush it.

When I do rush I screw it up usually.

BUT, my biggest improvement came after learning the stroke and then seriously WATCHING how low/scratch HDCPers execute. Each is a tad diff but if you can try to emulate what your coach/pro does, I think it helps.

Same goes for putting. These good guys get the ball rolling without any sidespin and it just amazes me how well the ball performs when that happens (straight roll).

Sorry for the Yak Yak. Learn the basics and watch the pros!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 7:55 am

Short game is everything!! (well, not everything but it's crucial)

When I played at Palm Garden recently, I realized that I could play into the fairways reasonably well. But, chipping & putting killed me. I don't practise chipping and putting enough. So, it is important that golfers balance both their long game and short game. Doing one without the other will be costly.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 9:00 am

Tell me abt it.....thats what happened to me yesterday too....short game decent, long game KNS.....
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 2:39 pm

Personally I feel the short game is super impt if you want to bring down your handicap. It constitutes 30-50% of your score ( ok, I am innumerate ).
Most do not practise the short game ( I have never practised my putting ). Simply because I don't enjoy it.
And that's why folks laugh at me whenever I am near the green. Embarassed
But I have a decent long game even tho I am a short hitter ( avg drive 180m )
I play in the low 90s now. Smile
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 2:51 pm

180m is gaining popularity...
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 2:54 pm

well then i have to say i drive ard 178m......
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 3:07 pm

http://golf.about.com/od/beginners/l/blclubdistance.htm

sometimes i do drive 210m, when there's a tailwind or when ball hits cartpath or sprinker.
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 7:03 am

Want to gain a slight advantage in reading greens and giving your putt a better chance to make it to the hole?

Learn to read the grain of the green. There are obviously many factors that influence the roll but knowing which way the grass "grows" (and it ain't straight up) can help you determine the target and speed of the putts you need to make.

Nothing, and I mean absolutely torques a golfer more than hitting the line and having the putt stop short by an inch or so. If you know which way the grain runs it may help you add a bit of speed on the putt (or take it down a notch or two if your putt is with the grain).

IMO the simplest way to read the grain near the hole is look at the hole. Most likely there will be some slight wear on the cup that is brownish and tattered a bit. This can tell you that the grain runs away from the darker/brown area. If your putt will have the ball run over that brown area as it enters the cup then you are putting into the grain and it will be slower. On the other side you are putting with the grain and it will run a bit faster.

The wear/tear on the cup isn't obvious all the time so you'll need to read the grain based on some "putting surface colors/shades". If the green appears light, you know you're putting against the grain; if it's dark you're downgrain.

Give it a whirl and use all the tools available to you to lower your score and enjoy the game even more.

Cheers, KT
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:18 am

I am short of bunker practice.
Wonder if Toa Payoh range bunker can be used.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tip of the day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tip of the day   Tip of the day I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tip of the day
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.