Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?

Go down 
+10
piero
samT
Casey KC
G_Man
Lee36328
asahi
Gray
pushslice
jimmychoo
UberGold
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?   Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 11:14 am

actually I am abit of everything.

I bot my iron head fm someone

I bot the shaft fm pull out...but I was specific..therefore I guess its 'customize' to my requirements

then I bot the grip fm off the shelf but then I got the grip customize to my palm size and preferrence.

and tats why I play like what I am only.

But if got chance, customize cant be wrong...coz its only right.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?   Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 11:45 am

Lee36328 wrote:
eiji wrote:
customizing and fitting is different, customizing means you are selecting each individual components to be put together for a complete set, fitting is finding out what specifications like grip size, shaft, loft, lie, length suits you. Through fitting you can still order an off the shelf set but with the specifications you want, and have the lie, loft and even length adjusted for you.

To adjust loft and lie, its easier to get a set of forge irons as those are easier to bend as compared to cast irons.

An interesting fine point.

Personally, I would not order a set only to have it butt-extended to fit. I'd much rather have a shaft selected according to my spec and cut to fit.

Typically, the shaft that I want is not the shaft that the manufacturers use for their off-the-shelf sets. So finding an existing match is rare to start with.

Unfortunately, as a result, I have a store room full of standard shafts I took out from my heads.

Length doesn't always have to be butt-extended, you can always talk to any golf pro shop when purchasing that you require the length of your irons to be 1/2" - 1 1/2" longer or shorter depending on your height and wrist to floor length. Its still buying off-the-shelf but with specs that suit, this is something which I think our local market is lacking, everyone is just business or transaction focused but not consumer focus-ed. In the US, most of the pro-shops will take a look at the consumer, if he is taller/shorter than the average market, the retailler/salesperson will usually make proper recommendations.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
UberGold
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
UberGold

PostSubject: Re: Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?   Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 4:29 pm

Wow, interesting inputs from all.

but what I didn't know AT ALL was:

eiji >>>customizing and fitting is different, customizing means you are selecting each individual components to be put together for a complete set, fitting is finding out what specifications like grip size, shaft, loft, lie, length suits you. Through fitting you can still order an off the shelf set but with the specifications you want, and have the lie, loft and even length adjusted for you.

REALLY?! So I can buy a set, for eg. Cobra, and have it exactly as it would suit me if I were to get a set customed for me by PING?

Really?!
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?   Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 4:53 pm

UberGold wrote:
Wow, interesting inputs from all.

REALLY?! So I can buy a set, for eg. Cobra, and have it exactly as it would suit me if I were to get a set customed for me by PING?

Really?!
Yes. Very Happy And if it a set of cobra you are looking at the good news is BFG has just started carrying cobra. Just go to the den at bucket merah and get it sorted out. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?   Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 6:26 pm

eiji wrote:

Length doesn't always have to be butt-extended, you can always talk to any golf pro shop when purchasing that you require the length of your irons to be 1/2" - 1 1/2" longer or shorter depending on your height and wrist to floor length. Its still buying off-the-shelf but with specs that suit, this is something which I think our local market is lacking, everyone is just business or transaction focused but not consumer focus-ed. In the US, most of the pro-shops will take a look at the consumer, if he is taller/shorter than the average market, the retailler/salesperson will usually make proper recommendations.

If you're talking US market, you are absolutely right, I would agree 100%.

With local market, certain brands and certain suppliers would also supply to requested spec, but not all.

I actually ordered my Scotty Studio Select with extra length, and it took a while, but it arrived with the length I wanted.

Uber, have you considered Mizuno? The forged heads are lovely.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?   Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 9:27 pm

If you know what you want, some brands offer very good custom service, Ping, Titleist being two I know locally, else you can consider ordering from BFG Keppel for Ping, Titleist, Cobra and Callaway.

For other brands, you can always indent it from US websites, TGW, golfsmith, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?   Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Uber,

Just to share w u my experiences:
First set: RM1800.00 (sgd 800.00)
Bought new, off the shelf Nike slingshots japan spec with dynamic gold s300 steel shafts.
Too short for me and it is actually 1" shorter than normal. Lasted 1 year with it.

Second set: TM r7 TP sgd900.00 new from far east shopping centre.
Lighter ns pro 950 shafts. I requested for grips to be enlarged.
These felt better but they were still off the shelf. I was using them until my recent change to my latest set.

This set was of the normal length but it was still not long enough for my 6'2" frame.

Third set: custom fitted cobra cb pro set. Sgd800.00
This set was a custom fitted by BFG. Used iron heads, new 110g kbs pro stiff steel shafts and new medium sized golf pride grips.

As you can see, a custom fitted set does not necessarily cost more than an off the shelf set. The benefit of a custom fitted set is that it is tailor made to your build, helping you swing without needing any body compensations.

You don't need to know too much about what fits you. That is the job of an experienced club fitter. All you need to do is make an appointment and go with an open mind.

I had a budget in my mind and I was fortunate that my fitter was DGman. He was able to fit a set within my budget.

The used iron heads were actually very new!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?   Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Uber,

With 32 posts and 658 views at the point of writing this, I beileve your question has been well and truly answered, beyond the initial helpful suggestions to "do a search."

Good luck with your game.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
UberGold
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
UberGold

PostSubject: Re: Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?   Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 4:08 am

Yes Lee, eiji, Denmeister, KC, nrafee, SamT, Duval, piero, and all... so grateful for all the sharing of your experiences.

Wow, very amazing. I already know what to do. Hahaha!

Should be playing with my current clubs for another 1 or 2 months and then just go for it! Very Happy

I was just on the fence and wondering... but you guys sharing just pushed me over the cliff big time. Hahaha!
Now, instead of wondering, I am feeling damn excited about the prospects of having my set done! Very Happy

Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?   Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Better to buy a set off the shelf or customise?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2